Register Now
Shortie

What are your thoughts on ads on mobile games? Are they too much?

I have been trying a few new mobile games just recently to help pass the time or to just take my mind off things a little and to chill a little when I have a spare few minutes. One thing I noticed on at least one of the mobile games I downloaded to try was just how many ads they have in such a short space of time.

I understand that they need to pay for their games somehow, especially if their game is quite new and they need the funds to help keep it running, but I feel that in most cases having them say every 1 - 2 minutes is a little overkill and can be off putting to people playing the game, especially when in most cases you have to wait nearly a minute before you can close the ad.

What are your thoughts on ads on mobile games? Do you feel they can sometimes be a little over kill?

I get why apps have ads, especially if they're free to play. Of course it is annoying to have to watch a 15-30 sec ad just to play. But usually some apps will let you buy the full game or require pay to remove ads. 

Most games I played have had ads, but I don't usually play the games too long anyway. 

There are some games and apps that toss up way too many ads. It's like they are trying to get you to just buy the game. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I get why apps have ads, especially if they're free to play. Of course it is annoying to have to watch a 15-30 sec ad just to play. But usually some apps will let you buy the full game or require pay to remove ads. 

Most games I played have had ads, but I don't usually play the games too long anyway. 

There are some games and apps that toss up way too many ads. It's like they are trying to get you to just buy the game. 

I agree, there are many other ways you can give users of your game an incentive to buy your game rather than throwing in way too many ads it becomes just too much. The game I was playing that had ads every 1 - 2 minutes, they seemed like a new game and they didn't even have a purchase the full game option so it really was that they fired out a free game and they are going over kill with the ads to make money. 

It would all depend on how much you enjoy the game. For example I play Sudoku on my phone all the damn time. I hated having to deal with ads all the time, so I payed to eliminate them. To me it was worth it. Now I can just play the game, and not have to watch frickin' ads all over the place.

So it just boils down to how much you enjoy a game or not.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, The Blackangel said:

It would all depend on how much you enjoy the game. For example I play Sudoku on my phone all the damn time. I hated having to deal with ads all the time, so I payed to eliminate them. To me it was worth it. Now I can just play the game, and not have to watch frickin' ads all over the place.

So it just boils down to how much you enjoy a game or not.

Oh for sure. I have paid to remove ads from some mobile games in the even bought stuff in some games. But it's a rarity that I do. 

I'm considering paying to remove ads from a mobile game I started playing, but I already kind of stopped playing it for a bit. 

They're intentionally annoying so you buy the full version of the game where applicable, or you pay to have the ads removed. Most of the time people will not do this however. I myself, don't bother with mobile games as I find them to mostly be a waste of time. I'd rather take a handheld console with me like my PS Vita. 

Ads on mobile games can be excessive, disrupting the gameplay experience. While they generate revenue for developers, they should be balanced to avoid overwhelming players. Finding a middle ground is crucial to maintain user satisfaction and ensure that ads don't hinder the enjoyment of the game.

Some free to play games have way too many ads IMO. I get that's how it stays free, but dear god there's games where you can barely do anything without an ad interrupting your game. I'm happy that not every free to play game has ads, for example Pokemon Go is free to play but you don't get any ads. To be fair, they probably have a bunch of people who purchase in game items to keep them from having to add advertisements in the game.

On 9/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, Ravenfreak said:

Some free to play games have way too many ads IMO. I get that's how it stays free, but dear god there's games where you can barely do anything without an ad interrupting your game. I'm happy that not every free to play game has ads, for example Pokemon Go is free to play but you don't get any ads. To be fair, they probably have a bunch of people who purchase in game items to keep them from having to add advertisements in the game.

Some games I have played in the past have had so many ads that I have given up on  the game. It can be really off putting when you get an ad between everything you do and the ads sometimes last as long as a minute. There is just no need for it and in some cases I find that it's more greed than anything else.

For starters, I wouldn't pay for a game that has ads. If a game has ads and I wish to play it, it depends on how intrusive the ads are that will dictate whether I continue to play it or not. Some ads you have to watch every X minutes, no thank you. An ad that hovers over the game the whole time you're playing it, no thank you. If the ads are minimal and the game play is much more focused than the ads, I can probably handle the ads.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:19 PM, CoryAR said:

For starters, I wouldn't pay for a game that has ads. If a game has ads and I wish to play it, it depends on how intrusive the ads are that will dictate whether I continue to play it or not. Some ads you have to watch every X minutes, no thank you. An ad that hovers over the game the whole time you're playing it, no thank you. If the ads are minimal and the game play is much more focused than the ads, I can probably handle the ads.

Mate, I have never paid for any game with ads. That's just rewarding bad behavior - I'll play some free games with ads but the ads can't be too frequent or intrusive. Some mobile games are jam-packed with ads and repetitive gameplay - these ones are the absolute worst.