Register Now
Shortie

Have you ever made your own video game?

When you are a gamer, one of the things many of us would love to be able to do is make our own game. Often we already have an idea as to what we would like to base our game on or what the story line will be but we don't always have the means to get started and make it a reality.

My younger brother studied game design in college for 3 years and towards the end of it, he did start to make a video game with his buddies in college which was playable but they never too it any further than that and ended up parting ways after the left college. 

Have you ever made your own video or would you ever want to make your own video game? 

Nope, but I'm aware that there are programs and software you can get to help make games. I know rpg maker is one that many have used to make their own games. There are other game makers out there too. 

Otherwise you can probably find a game engine to code on. 

I wouldn't know the first thing about making my own games though. if I have the knowledge I'd give it a try. 

7 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Nope, but I'm aware that there are programs and software you can get to help make games. I know rpg maker is one that many have used to make their own games. There are other game makers out there too. 

Otherwise you can probably find a game engine to code on. 

I wouldn't know the first thing about making my own games though. if I have the knowledge I'd give it a try. 

I know what you mean, I am the same if I had the knowledge I would definitely give it a go for sure. I remember my brother telling me what software he used to make his game with his friends when he was in college but I for the life of me can not remember what it was called, I would have to ask him again when I next see him but he is on a busy schedule. 

I have a few ideas that I would love to make into a video game but without the knowledge they simply stay as ideas for the moment. 

Nope, I'm not good with game development programming language 😞 If you don' want to learn to code you can hire a freelancer to make a quick prototype, I mean it would cost allot but then again it would take YEARS to learn and at my age I can't be doing that now. 

On 1/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, Shortie said:

I know what you mean, I am the same if I had the knowledge I would definitely give it a go for sure. I remember my brother telling me what software he used to make his game with his friends when he was in college but I for the life of me can not remember what it was called, I would have to ask him again when I next see him but he is on a busy schedule. 

I have a few ideas that I would love to make into a video game but without the knowledge they simply stay as ideas for the moment. 

Give it a try. I think there are many versions of RPG Maker out there. I never really used it myself but heard many people who have and they have fun with it. I hear it's not perfect, but to start out, I hear it can teach a lot. 

And there are prob graphic engines you can download and mess around with as well.

I did make games on Game Maker when I was a teenager. None of them were very good - and getting a job in programming completely killed it as an interest for me, because programming is simply the last thing I feel like doing when I get home from work!

While I have invented card & board games, I wouldn’t know where to begin with a video game. You have the graphics, themes, storyline to implement. I think it’d be best for those who wanted to give this a go to get a group of friends together to bounce ideas off each other.

If you have invented a game, what was it about?

I made a small driving game as a school project back in the early 2000s using the GLScene graphics engine. I also experimented with Unity and Unreal Engine 2.5 but ended up sticking with GLScene which was written in Delphi, a programming language I was more familiar with at the time.

I never actually finished it, I planned to add tons of vehicles and multiple maps to it, but only  one car and one basic map was ever playable.
It was nowhere near polished enough for public consumption it would've needed tons of more work. I only ever released it to a few people for test purposes.

Edited by m76

On 2/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, m76 said:

I made a small driving game as a school project back in the early 2000s using the GLScene graphics engine. I also experimented with Unity and Unreal Engine 2.5 but ended up sticking with GLScene which was written in Delphi, a programming language I was more familiar with at the time.

I never actually finished it, I planned to add tons of vehicles and multiple maps to it, but only  one car and one basic map was ever playable.
It was nowhere near polished enough for public consumption it would've needed tons of more work. I only ever released it to a few people for test purposes.

Do you still have the files? I'd be curious to see it myself, but I imagine it's long gone by now if it was early 2000s. I don't think I have anything saved from back that far. At least not anymore. 

Have you ever considered going back to it? Making games that is. 

On 3/6/2023 at 7:25 PM, Kane99 said:

Do you still have the files? I'd be curious to see it myself, but I imagine it's long gone by now if it was early 2000s. I don't think I have anything saved from back that far. At least not anymore. 

Have you ever considered going back to it? Making games that is. 

I have the files, but no longer have the development environment it was written in. (Delphi) Even if I had the install media for it, I doubt it could be installed on a modern OS. I also have some compiled binaries but wasn't able to get them running on a modern OS. Last time these run I was probably still on windows xp. Also microsoft defender thinks that the compiled exe is a virus 😛

As for going back to making games, hell no. I don't like the idea of indie games, so independent development is not something I'd consider.
And I'm too old to switch careers and start working as a low level employee for a game developer.

Edited by m76

On 3/12/2023 at 8:52 AM, m76 said:

I have the files, but no longer have the development environment it was written in. (Delphi) Even if I had the install media for it, I doubt it could be installed on a modern OS. I also have some compiled binaries but wasn't able to get them running on a modern OS. Last time these run I was probably still on windows xp. Also microsoft defender thinks that the compiled exe is a virus 😛

As for going back to making games, hell no. I don't like the idea of indie games, so independent development is not something I'd consider.
And I'm too old to switch careers and start working as a low level employee for a game developer.

Ah that makes sense. I wish I knew all of that stuff myself, to be able to code my own game would be so cool. But I don't have the patience to learn it. Back on Windows XP, I can see it being vastly different. 

And that's fair. Game development has changed a lot, some for the better and some not, but I think we're going into a good direction where more people can code games with the many tools available to them now. Have you considered messing with modern tools/programs to make a game? Like Unity for example? I hear they make these engines easy to work on, so more people can potentially make their own games. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Ah that makes sense. I wish I knew all of that stuff myself, to be able to code my own game would be so cool. But I don't have the patience to learn it. Back on Windows XP, I can see it being vastly different. 

And that's fair. Game development has changed a lot, some for the better and some not, but I think we're going into a good direction where more people can code games with the many tools available to them now. Have you considered messing with modern tools/programs to make a game? Like Unity for example? I hear they make these engines easy to work on, so more people can potentially make their own games. 

Modern game engines are much more complex than the ones I used. I don't think it is easier to make a game now than it was 20 years ago, only that you have access to more tools so you can add more features without having to code them yourself. But with added  complexity the effort also increases, and you need more resources to make use of the plethora of tools offered by say unreal engine. I think if your aim is to learn how to make a game you might be better off learning on older or more simple engines with much less features than the latest iteration of Unreal Engine or Unity.

I hope that makes sense.