Register Now
Shortie

What are your thoughts on Destiny 2 being free to play but majority of the game being paid?

When Destiny 2 was announced as going to be a free to play game, many were quite excited to see it go free to play but many were unaware that it would only be the base game that would go free to play and not the DLC, this led to confusion from many who thought that when it would go free to play, they would be able to play with their friends until they hit the roadblock where there friends would have DLC and they didn't.

What are your thoughts on Destiny 2 being a free to play but needing to purchase the majority of the game as DLC?

I think that it makes sense. Get people into the game as much as you can, and then have them pay for extra features/maps/weapons, etc. It was odd that Destiny went the route they did for the first game where it was paid, with a bunch of paid DLC that made you feel like you were buying a new game (based on the high price of their DLCs) every year or so.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, Syntax said:

I think that it makes sense. Get people into the game as much as you can, and then have them pay for extra features/maps/weapons, etc. It was odd that Destiny went the route they did for the first game where it was paid, with a bunch of paid DLC that made you feel like you were buying a new game (based on the high price of their DLCs) every year or so.

I agree, both the first and second game were both paid games. I remember buying Destiny 2 myself when it first launched in 2016 and then I heard it was going free to play. I guess in a sense it does make sense as they do have to make money somehow, I think it was the way they announced things that many were annoyed with when they said they were going free to play. As long as I play it I will buy the DLC if I can afford it. 

The "free version" is not really supposed to be a full game, it's a demo, its made to give you a taste and if you like it you'll shell out for the content. It's a live service game, you pay for content as you go, that's the deal. And honestly, people love to complain, but for the money you hand to Destiny you do get a lot of content. Also, Bungie is not a bad company to be giving your money to, they care about the game and the community.

A lot of these types of games become free to play at some point. I'm fine with it, especially if it's not a requirement to buy the base game. I don't see a problem if it becomes free to play where you can buy a battle pass like Fortnite. But I don't play destiny so I couldn't say for sure. 

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Aren't most free-to-play games like this? The only concern I have is for the people that originally purchased it. I got a free key but haven't played it in eons.

Most games do seem to be taking this approach now, yes. I myself was one of the ones who purchased Destiny 2 when it was released and paid the full price of a new video game so as you can imagine, I wasn't happy when they announced it was going free-to-play after so many years but it is what it is I guess. I still play it from time to time and I have the Witch Queen DLC which I have really enjoyed playing. I know there is another DLC coming out at some point this year though. 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:57 PM, Shortie said:

Most games do seem to be taking this approach now, yes. I myself was one of the ones who purchased Destiny 2 when it was released and paid the full price of a new video game so as you can imagine, I wasn't happy when they announced it was going free-to-play after so many years but it is what it is I guess. I still play it from time to time and I have the Witch Queen DLC which I have really enjoyed playing. I know there is another DLC coming out at some point this year though. 

I haven't played Destiny 2 in years but I remembered when everyone used to blame Activision for all the issues Destiny 2 had. Once Bungie separated from them though, I noticed that some of those same issues persist such as shady pricing schemes from certain things in-game.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:31 PM, killamch89 said:

I haven't played Destiny 2 in years but I remembered when everyone used to blame Activision for all the issues Destiny 2 had. Once Bungie separated from them though, I noticed that some of those same issues persist such as shady pricing schemes from certain things in-game.

I remember that very well too. Activision was heavily blamed for that and yet still now that it's Bungie only we still see that. Usually it's a case of blame the developer who seems the most obvious to do things like that in a game whether or not it's proven that they were responsible for it. 

I really don't mind it at all. I have been playing it a lot over the last month or so, so I decided to pick up the past 3 expansions (not including Lightfall) as there was a bundle deal 50% of at the time. I've been having a lot of fun, so I got a friend of mine to download it yesterday and we played through a few Vanguard missions together. It was a lot of fun, but he probably would not have bothered to pick up the game if it was not free to play. 

5 hours ago, Anders said:

I really don't mind it at all. I have been playing it a lot over the last month or so, so I decided to pick up the past 3 expansions (not including Lightfall) as there was a bundle deal 50% of at the time. I've been having a lot of fun, so I got a friend of mine to download it yesterday and we played through a few Vanguard missions together. It was a lot of fun, but he probably would not have bothered to pick up the game if it was not free to play. 

I got it when you had to purchase the game and it was fun then but the fact that it was game you had to pay for yet Bungie at the time tried to implement microtransactions was what really turned me off.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I got it when you had to purchase the game and it was fun then but the fact that it was game you had to pay for yet Bungie at the time tried to implement microtransactions was what really turned me off.

There are still microtransactions, but they are really easy to ignore. It just purely cosmetics, like weapon and armor skins, ships, mounts and emotes. You can still unlock cool ships and mounts just by playing and getting season XP, and you still get cool weapons and armor from just playing the game. 

18 hours ago, Anders said:

There are still microtransactions, but they are really easy to ignore. It just purely cosmetics, like weapon and armor skins, ships, mounts and emotes. You can still unlock cool ships and mounts just by playing and getting season XP, and you still get cool weapons and armor from just playing the game. 

That sounds good but honestly, I have so many games I'm playing right now so it'll take me some time to even get back into it.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That sounds good but honestly, I have so many games I'm playing right now so it'll take me some time to even get back into it.

Very understandable, it's definitely a time suck. I started playing it again about a month ago and have spent quite a few hours on i since.