Register Now
Shortie

Do you think free online multiplayer games will become more frequent?

If there is something I have noticed over the last couple of years, it's how many video game developers that have chosen to take their games free to play and it has been quite a success for many. It started out that we saw games like PUBG and Fortnite as free to play games and then slowly we started seeing more developers releasing games that were free to play.

Do you think that free online multiplayer games will become more frequent? Even developers like Activision have chosen to release their own Battle Royale that is free to play and we have also seen games like Paladins and Realm Royale which was re-released a few months ago after they closed down. 

I don't think so. The thing with this discussion is that every game that is released with the potential of a free to play model or even a pay per month model or even a pay to win model, has been evaluated. This is how they make money, they are paying close attention to how they make sales.

I think so. With the way Fortnite and Warzone have become hugely popular, I can see more multiplayer games coming that feature free to play options. They will probably just copy the method Fortnite does with their battle pass every new season or chapter. I think that is the way to go. You don't need to pay in order to play either, and can still level up. But won't get the other unlocks you would with a battle pass. That's the only way I see things working. 

But there are often free games from companies and more. I can see free games being a thing for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I think so. With the way Fortnite and Warzone have become hugely popular, I can see more multiplayer games coming that feature free to play options. They will probably just copy the method Fortnite does with their battle pass every new season or chapter. I think that is the way to go. You don't need to pay in order to play either, and can still level up. But won't get the other unlocks you would with a battle pass. That's the only way I see things working. 

But there are often free games from companies and more. I can see free games being a thing for years to come. 

I agree. When you think about it, Epic Games and Fortnite really did pave the way for free games but also the ability to provide a free game and still make money from the game as well. Even with Fall Guys, when Mediatonic were the only ones working on it, it at first wasn't exactly free to play as you needed to either have PS Plus or purchase it through Steam. Epic Games came in and started working with Mediatonic and just like that we ended up with another free game on every console that many people play even now. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I mean, they have been around for many years now and the trend hasn't shown any signs of slowing down but I have observed that many of these games are basically poor imitations of Fortnite/ COD Warzone/ PUBG. I'd like to see some of these games with more unique mechanics.

This is something I have noticed too. Fortnite and PUBG were really the ones that made the free online multiplayer a thing and how they did things was unique and then Warzone came in and as much as they put their own swing on it, it was pretty much the same as what PUBG and Fortnite had already done. Then you had Apex Legends who again, did pretty much the same things and it's just been the same ever since. Aside from games like Fall Guys, most are pretty much the same. We need something more unique for sure. 

I think so. I also think if Call of Duty continues to lose players, the Multiplayer component, like Warzone, might also goo free to play. I would like to just see them make a CoD game like CoD Mobile on PC and console & just continuously update that. 

On 1/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, Shortie said:

I agree. When you think about it, Epic Games and Fortnite really did pave the way for free games but also the ability to provide a free game and still make money from the game as well. Even with Fall Guys, when Mediatonic were the only ones working on it, it at first wasn't exactly free to play as you needed to either have PS Plus or purchase it through Steam. Epic Games came in and started working with Mediatonic and just like that we ended up with another free game on every console that many people play even now. 

And the beauty about it, is that you don't have to pay if you don't want to. When I played I didn't really change my character much. Then again, I didn't stick with that game too long. But it makes sense to make it free to play. I imagine it has lost some of their active users over the years, so making it free to play brings in a new audience. 

On 1/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, Shortie said:

This is something I have noticed too. Fortnite and PUBG were really the ones that made the free online multiplayer a thing and how they did things was unique and then Warzone came in and as much as they put their own swing on it, it was pretty much the same as what PUBG and Fortnite had already done. Then you had Apex Legends who again, did pretty much the same things and it's just been the same ever since. Aside from games like Fall Guys, most are pretty much the same. We need something more unique for sure. 

There's also Among Us but the gameplay gets pretty repetitive after a month or so. I wouldn't mind the whole boat load of Battle Royale games if they were all extremely unique but they're just poor imitations of Fortnite.

31 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

There's also Among Us but the gameplay gets pretty repetitive after a month or so.

If a game (especially an online one) only gets "repetitive" after a playing for a month, I'd consider it a pretty huge success!

Edited by Crazycrab

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

If a game (especially an online one) only gets "repetitive" after a playing for a month, I'd consider it a pretty huge success!

You're right - most modern games lack quality content and an engaging story/plot to keep most gamers entertained. Callisto Protocol is one that comes to mind with the amount of hype and it's a total disappointment. I mean, it wasn't as buggy as say Cyberpunk but the story is so lackluster. The gameplay has a few great elements but there's nothing else to it and the budget for this game is 160m?!

Well, I think they'll do whatever makes them the most money. And if they discover that they can make more from a 'freemium' model than a traditional paid or subscription model, then that's what they'll go with!

18 hours ago, Kyng said:

Well, I think they'll do whatever makes them the most money. And if they discover that they can make more from a 'freemium' model than a traditional paid or subscription model, then that's what they'll go with!

That's nothing but the facts. Let's be honest with ourselves, every company's primary goal is to make money - not to genuinely care about its customers. They only act like they care because our money is what sustains them. Let the minute that our funds no longer is their primary source of earning and you'll see how they really feel about their customers.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:35 PM, killamch89 said:

That's nothing but the facts. Let's be honest with ourselves, every company's primary goal is to make money - not to genuinely care about its customers. They only act like they care because our money is what sustains them. Let the minute that our funds no longer is their primary source of earning and you'll see how they really feel about their customers.

This is very true and is more than likely the reason we are seeing more and more free-to-play games. Right now these kinds of games are popular after games such as Fortnite became as successful as they did and if they release a free-to-play game and it becomes a success but money is rolling in from within the game, it's something they will continue to do because money is what they want to see. 

Yes, as technology advances and internet connectivity improves, the popularity and availability of free online multiplayer games are likely to increase. This trend is already evident with the rise of games like Fortnite and Apex Legends.