Register Now
Shortie

Do you feel battle passes are just the norm now in games?

Ever since games like Fortnite started doing battle passes in their games, more and more games have followed in suit and now have a battle pass on their games. Rainbow Six Siege added a battle pass, Warzone added a battle pass and I believe you get battle passes now on the multiplayer sections on Call of Duty games as well, Apex Legends has a battle pass, Overwatch now has a battle pass and there are many other games that have also chosen to bring battle passes to their games. 

Do you feel that with how gaming and games are now, battle passes are just going to become the norm now for games? 

For me, Halo's/COD'S gameplay was fun, but working towards sweet armor/gun sets by completing challenges was awesome. Now even if a game implements in-game sets through challenges they feel way less rewarding, because they'll either be shitty compared to the paid pieces, or (in my case at least) I'll just assume that the other player's armor is paid for.

Seems like it is. And I think for a free to play game, a battle pass system makes sense. But when it's a $60/$70 game, I don't think we should be paying for a battle pass on top of it. If we do, we should ateast get the first battle pass when purchasing the game at no additional cost and maybe charge us when the next season comes. That imo would be fair to me. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Seems like it is. And I think for a free to play game, a battle pass system makes sense. But when it's a $60/$70 game, I don't think we should be paying for a battle pass on top of it. If we do, we should ateast get the first battle pass when purchasing the game at no additional cost and maybe charge us when the next season comes. That imo would be fair to me. 

I agree, if I am paying around $60 - $70 for a game as you stated, I don't also want to be greeted with a battle pass that I have to pay for as well. If I pay that price for a game, I would expect the battle pass to be included because of course, they are already making money just by selling the game and then charging for a battle pass just seems like greed. 

If the game is free, it makes sense to offer a battle pass and charge for a premium battle pass, otherwise, how else would the company make any kind of money?

On 1/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, Kane99 said:

Very valid point, I also get confused when a $60+ game has ads and battle passes - it's very greedy of the publishers and developers to be ripping off their fanbase like that.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Very valid point, I also get confused when a $60+ game has ads and battle passes - it's very greedy of the publishers and developers to be ripping off their fanbase like that.

I honestly did not know some $60+ games do have ads to be honest, I knew about battle passes as Call of Duty has one that is available for Warzone and also the Multiplayer side of things but if you are not into Warzone, you are technically paying the price tag and then having to pay for the battle pass as well, that is pure greed. But ads as well on games that price? That is shocking and definitely a greed I never thought some game publishers would ever sink to. 

On 1/16/2023 at 3:54 PM, killamch89 said:

Yeah ads in video games have been increasing as of late, even in paid for games. 

I don't mind it in free to play games, because it makes sense. But they have no place in these triple A games. 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah ads in video games have been increasing as of late, even in paid for games. 

I don't mind it in free to play games, because it makes sense. But they have no place in these triple A games. 

And to top it all off, it had to be EA who has pioneered this whole strategy. How greedy can you get?

They sure seem to be the 'norm' and I really don't like it, at all. Especially for a game like Call of Duty. It's just too much. I would like the old days back where you were able to purchase a game, the DLC pack that inevitably came out, and then that was it, there was enough content to keep you playing it for the year. Now it's all these stupid battle passes with worthless items in it you don't want or need. Seems like a total waste IMHO.

16 hours ago, Smokey said:

They sure seem to be the 'norm' and I really don't like it, at all. Especially for a game like Call of Duty. It's just too much. I would like the old days back where you were able to purchase a game, the DLC pack that inevitably came out, and then that was it, there was enough content to keep you playing it for the year. Now it's all these stupid battle passes with worthless items in it you don't want or need. Seems like a total waste IMHO.

Totally agree - I never really purchased skins in the first place especially if they serve no other purpose other than to modify your character's appearance and nothing else.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:27 PM, killamch89 said:

And to top it all off, it had to be EA who has pioneered this whole strategy. How greedy can you get?

Well to be fair, EA has Apex Legends which is free to play and has a similar battle pass system to Fortnite. But I know games like Battlefield often have their own battle passes, and that is often a $60-$70 game as well. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, Kane99 said:

Well to be fair, EA has Apex Legends which is free to play and has a similar battle pass system to Fortnite. But I know games like Battlefield often have their own battle passes, and that is often a $60-$70 game as well. 

I wasn't talking just about the battle pass. I was talking about ads in $60-$70 games such as UFC. It's only after the backlash that they completely removed it.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, killamch89 said:

I wasn't talking just about the battle pass. I was talking about ads in $60-$70 games such as UFC. It's only after the backlash that they completely removed it.

Yeah games like that in which the developers have already sold it for the price of a full game should not be relying on ads in their games as well. That is like paying for something like a Twitch Sub or YouTube Premium and still getting the ads. Then what exactly did we pay for?

The problem half the time with battle passes, is that they don't tend to be all that appealing to me. Like new guns, clothings, etc, sure it's nice, but I'd rather they put time into adding more to the game in terms of what we can do, rather than giving us cosmetic items and new gun skins, give us new levels, abilities, modes, etc. That I think would be more worth of a battle pass or a season pass.