Register Now
The Blackangel

Got a Super Famicom today

A few years ago I bought a Zelda ROM-hack on eBay that was supposed to be a SNES cart, but I received a Super Famicom cart instead. Well @Rain Dew decided to buy me a CIB Super Famicom for my birthday this past weekend. It arrived today, and I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up and playing on it. If the system is strictly programmed in Japanese, I'll just have to deal with it since I don't speak Japanese. Either way, this should be a fun time.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

A few years ago I bought a Zelda ROM-hack on eBay that was supposed to be a SNES cart, but I received a Super Famicom cart instead. Well @Rain Dew decided to buy me a CIB Super Famicom for my birthday this past weekend. It arrived today, and I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up and playing on it. If the system is strictly programmed in Japanese, I'll just have to deal with it since I don't speak Japanese. Either way, this should be a fun time.

Let us know how it goes. I think it depends on the game. I believe some Famicom games have english, but of course majority will probably be in Japanese. 

Also when you bought the ROM hack did it say it would be in English? I don't think the console decides the language but the cart itself does. That would be my guess anyway. 

Well, happy belated birthday!

And that is cool. Can we have some pics? I believe that the design of the Super Famicom is the same as the PAL version of the Super Nintendo. It's the American Model that was different I believe.

MufJzZiT9-39yk9wGYJBEeSIFlyy_sbtA09r8qm-0tc.thumb.jpg.c486c2e674c2128bc7788ede7795ae3c.jpg

That's interesting to me because with the NES, it was the American and European models with the same design with the Famicom being drastically different both in name and in design, the with the next system the names stayed the same with "Super" prefixed to the front, but it's the American model with the different look compared to the other two.

Nintendo, so wonderfully weird, never change no matter how much easier it makes life for both yourselves and you customers.

Edited by Shagger

On 1/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, Shagger said:

And that is cool. Can we have some pics? I believe that the design of the Super Famicom is the same as the PAL version of the Super Nintendo. It's the American Model that was different I believe.

MufJzZiT9-39yk9wGYJBEeSIFlyy_sbtA09r8qm-0tc.thumb.jpg.c486c2e674c2128bc7788ede7795ae3c.jpg

That's interesting to me because with the NES, it was the American and European models with the same design with the Famicom being drastically different both in name and in design, the with the next system the names stayed the same with "Super" prefixed to the front, but it's the American model with the different look compared to the other two.

Nintendo, so wonderfully weird, never change no matter how much easier it makes life for both yourselves and you customers.

I wouldn't mind owning one of the European SNES's. I just like the look overall, how smoother it is compared to the American SNES. Also, I like the controller colors more on the European controller than the American one. Though I do have nostalgia for the SNES I grew up with, I think I would have loved owning one from Europe. 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:21 AM, Shagger said:

Thanks, though I'm not a fan of turning 41.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:21 AM, Shagger said:

I'll get some as soon as I have time. If I remember correctly, it looks just like the European version of the SNES. But after I can get some pics, you'll have to confirm or deny that, as I honestly have no clue.

I highly recommend getting a Everdrive for your SNES. You can play numerous ROM hacks and region locked games too, plus if you wish to develop your own rom hacks or games you'll have a way to test them on actual hardware! I wish the North American controller had the colored buttons like the PAL and Japanese controllers did. The console design looks cool, I like the NA design better.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

Damn, I vaguely remember seeing it in commercials as a child or was it some TV series but never owned one. What games do you have for it?

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Damn, I vaguely remember seeing it in commercials as a child or was it some TV series but never owned one. What games do you have for it?

The Super Famicom is the Japanese SNES. Unless you were living in Japan in the early 90's I doupt you saw any commercials for it.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, killamch89 said:

What games do you have for it?

As of right now, the only game I have for it is a ROM-hack. It's Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets. It's also called Zelda B.S. a lot. And no the "BS" doesn't mean bullshit. It's actually Broadcast Satellaview. I've been awake all of 10 minutes, so I'm not going to be able to go into detail right now. All I can say is google it to find out the whole story behind it.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, Shagger said:

The Super Famicom is the Japanese SNES. Unless you were living in Japan in the early 90's I doupt you saw any commercials for it.

Well there was this one Japanese cable channel I used to watch Kamen Rider on in the mid 90's so maybe I could've seen it there or maybe it could've been something else entirely.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:05 AM, The Blackangel said:

As of right now, the only game I have for it is a ROM-hack. It's Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets. It's also called Zelda B.S. a lot. And no the "BS" doesn't mean bullshit. It's actually Broadcast Satellaview. I've been awake all of 10 minutes, so I'm not going to be able to go into detail right now. All I can say is google it to find out the whole story behind it.

Okay, I'll check it out.