Register Now
killamch89

Marvel's Avengers Is Officially Dead, All Support To End After September 30, 2023

10 hours ago, aerodynamik said:

Damn, that is just a plain embarrassment.

Nah - the whole game was an embarrassment long before it even launched. I remembered we were discussing this game and most of us said it'd flop. However, it's even done way worse than any of thought and with all the scandals from leaking ip addresses to numerous other issues, it should've been decommissioned long ago.

Was expecting this to come sooner or later, after the last announcement that Eidos, Crystal and Square Montreal acquisition by Embracer Group. And given Square Enix's adamant commitment to NFTs, it's no wonder that they'd barely have resources allocated to continue the venture of brand new western IPs. Heck, the recent decisions with their successful japanese IPs are already starting to become questionable as well.

And they now know why this live service model for a game that had little to no replayability, was a bad idea, hopefully they won't make the same mistake again. The Avengers was one of those games people were hoping would turn out to be something special, but it turned out to be a failed attempt to cash in on the live service gaming. People realized there wasn't a future for this game and probably peaced out. And now they are closing up shop. 

I was hoping for a single player or co-op story driven game where I could play as any Avenger I wanted to. I wanted what they did with the recent Guardians of the Galaxy game Square Enix and them did. 

Maybe one day they'll actually make a good Avengers game. 

This definitely does not come as a shock to be honest. I never played the game but I knew people that did and many were disappointed with the game right from the release with a lot of complaints being made quite often. It is a shame for those who were excited for the game and are huge Marvel fans as many were so excited for this game and it was nothing but a let down from the get go. 

As one of the 15 people who have actually played this game, I would honestly say I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people say it is, but is is uninspired. It controls well and has some legitimate drama and fun action, but this does not outweigh the issues. Just to be clear, I didn't buy the game, it was a freebee with my laptop, but the game is in my Steam library.

The marvel characters don't feel that distinguished from each other play. It really comes down to ones that fly, ones that shoot, ones that can get over gaps without flying, ones that mele with mixing these things together in way that makes sense for each. For example, Iron Man shoots and fly's making him feel the same as Black Window. The Hulk mele attacks and jump over gaps making him pretty much the same a Ms Marvel who mele attacks and using her stretchy arms to get over gaps. The game also focuses so hard on fan service that it completely neglects the characters and showing them in an interesting way. It kind of reminds me of M. Night Shamalan's The Last Airbender in that it feels like is was made by someone more interested in proving what they know about the source material rather than actually addressing the indigenous plot. That's especially frustrating in this story with it's genuine potential whare the Avengers and inhumans have be vilified and shunned in the wake of a tragic disaster, but it takes that and plays it far to safe with every predicable clichéd twist and narrative exploited. The game's protagonist (Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel) is actually one of the few things I liked about the game's story. I genuinely found her relatable, humble and was interested in her journey, but the boring and aggravatingly slow and padded out manner in which her story is told just kills the momentum and interest I developed for her early in the game.

One can easily see the game is built of the skeleton of the modern Tomb Raider games, a sensible idea to be fair, and if they had done that while developing a more interesting story with maybe a decent multiplayer mode and without the live service garbage that took all the publics attention away from what merits the game had, this really could have worked. Ironically, I actually think this game might be better once it goes offline and is playable as the simple, single player it really should have been from day one. They actually came painfully close to making a good game, but greed and ill-focused effort on the storytelling got in the way. I can sense a lot of love from Crystal Dynmanics for the source material, but it got so badly diluted by the greedy ambitions of Square Enix and Marvel (Yes, Marvel, because I genuinely believe this game would have been pretty much the same no matter published it) that the game was only ever going to be a dud. A real shame.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:52 PM, Kane99 said:

And they now know why this live service model for a game that had little to no replayability, was a bad idea, hopefully they won't make the same mistake again. The Avengers was one of those games people were hoping would turn out to be something special, but it turned out to be a failed attempt to cash in on the live service gaming. People realized there wasn't a future for this game and probably peaced out. And now they are closing up shop. 

I was hoping for a single player or co-op story driven game where I could play as any Avenger I wanted to. I wanted what they did with the recent Guardians of the Galaxy game Square Enix and them did. 

Maybe one day they'll actually make a good Avengers game. 

Maybe if another company makes the Avenger's game who would put some actual effort into it like a Capcom for instance, then I'd be a bit more positive. However, as we said before the launch, this game was a huge moneygrab to capitalize on the popularity of the Avengers franchise.

38 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Maybe if another company makes the Avenger's game who would put some actual effort into it like a Capcom for instance, then I'd be a bit more positive. However, as we said before the launch, this game was a huge moneygrab to capitalize on the popularity of the Avengers franchise.

This is usually how it goes for some companies. They will jump on something they see as being a money maker for them instead of leaving it and let a developer take it that would have a more positive attitude towards the development of the game. Capcom would have been a great developer to take a game like this and make it what it should have been. 

14 minutes ago, Shortie said:

This is usually how it goes for some companies. They will jump on something they see as being a money maker for them instead of leaving it and let a developer take it that would have a more positive attitude towards the development of the game. Capcom would have been a great developer to take a game like this and make it what it should have been. 

To top it all off, they also have a Guardian Of The Galaxies live service game as well - I'll admit that it seems to be way better than Marvel's Avengers but why'd Square Enix have to make it a live-service game?

46 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To top it all off, they also have a Guardian Of The Galaxies live service game as well - I'll admit that it seems to be way better than Marvel's Avengers but why'd Square Enix have to make it a live-service game?

The Guardians of the Galaxy game is not a live service game, it's a linear single player game. I don't think the game even has a multiplayer mode or microtransactions. Then again I only played about a couple hours into the game, so I don't know if they have microtransactions or not. 

But yeah, not a live service game. 

On 1/27/2023 at 1:56 PM, Kane99 said:

The Guardians of the Galaxy game is not a live service game, it's a linear single player game. I don't think the game even has a multiplayer mode or microtransactions. Then again I only played about a couple hours into the game, so I don't know if they have microtransactions or not. 

But yeah, not a live service game. 

Thanks for the correction - I stayed clear of it because that's what was reported by some outlets when the rumors first came out about the guardians of the galaxy game. Is it a good game?

59 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Thanks for the correction - I stayed clear of it because that's what was reported by some outlets when the rumors first came out about the guardians of the galaxy game. Is it a good game?

No problem. I played it for a few hours a while back. I didn't stick with it, but from what I did play, it played good an was fun for a bit. Also the voice acting and story from the beginning was pretty decent too. 

I eventually want to play through it, but I guess at the time I just wasn't feeling the game enough to continue it. But yeah, not a live service game thank goodness. 

2 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

No problem. I played it for a few hours a while back. I didn't stick with it, but from what I did play, it played good an was fun for a bit. Also the voice acting and story from the beginning was pretty decent too. 

I eventually want to play through it, but I guess at the time I just wasn't feeling the game enough to continue it. But yeah, not a live service game thank goodness. 

I'd like to say I'd check it out but I have so many unplayed games that I still haven't touched so I'll try finish some of those first...