Register Now
Kane99

Atomic Heart

Surprised to see that no one has really made a topic about this game. I'm sure it's been brought up, but I'm not seeing a dedicated topic just for it. And honestly this game looks pretty impressive. Though maybe not a game I'd be able to handle myself, I can see many people really enjoying this game. Anyway, it's an upcoming FPS with ARPG elements. To me it looks similar to Bioshock, mixed with that recent Prey game. 

Is it something you guys are looking forward to? It looks like a chaotic game, and one I probably won't be patient enough to play. 

Been waiting for this game in anticipation since the first teaser, and it still looks just as wild and crazy as the initial gameplay snippets. Reminds me a lot of Dead Island, except with robots instead of zombies. And pretty ironic to me that both Atomic Heart and Dead Island 2 are coming out this year.

This is the first time I have seen this game so I must have missed it. Watching the video it looks like a game that I would play. I feel there are a lot of games I have missed just recently with being so busy and there are probably more I will want to play. This one is definitely on my list though.

20 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've also been waiting for this game since I first heard about it around a year or two ago. Does have that Bioshock look to it. Definitely one I want to play. 

Was it really that long ago that this was announced? Wow, I really did miss it. Was it one that was announced but not really pushed out there I wonder? Usually I do find out about games through someone telling me or me seeing it on social media but I hadn't heard anything about this one. 

3 hours ago, Shortie said:

Was it really that long ago that this was announced? Wow, I really did miss it. Was it one that was announced but not really pushed out there I wonder? Usually I do find out about games through someone telling me or me seeing it on social media but I hadn't heard anything about this one. 

Yeah it was a while back when I first heard about it and never heard of anything again till now. I didn't expect it to even be made for the ps4 generation. So I'm a bit excited about this one. They really did keep their marketing quiet. Then all of a sudden it's here. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:06 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Yeah it was a while back when I first heard about it and never heard of anything again till now. I didn't expect it to even be made for the ps4 generation. So I'm a bit excited about this one. They really did keep their marketing quiet. Then all of a sudden it's here. 

They sure did keep it quiet, it's a weird way of marketing for sure especially when most game developers tend to hype up their games way before release and also let people see some of the game they are releasing to hype them up even more. 

Game recently released and it's been getting kinda mixed reviews. I guess most people are praising the controls, some of the combat, upgrades and all that, but say the story is lacking as is mundane, and they stretch the game out too far in the hopes of extending the game. That's what I heard from one review. So just sounds like it may have too much filler. 

It's on gamepass if I'm not mistaken, so if anyone wants to give it a go, it's there. 

Has anyone here played the game yet? 

Edited by Kane99

I'm surprised no forum members have played this game. I would say the game is pretty good. I was embarrassed that I can not change the control in the settings, and I had to get used to it. The plot may seem drawn out, but towards the end you no longer notice how time passes. You may be disappointed by one of the game's endings, so go through two to fully reveal the story. It is unlikely that I will play this game again, but this game is good to play it on the weekend

1 hour ago, Cortyie said:

I'm surprised no forum members have played this game. I would say the game is pretty good. I was embarrassed that I can not change the control in the settings, and I had to get used to it. The plot may seem drawn out, but towards the end you no longer notice how time passes. You may be disappointed by one of the game's endings, so go through two to fully reveal the story. It is unlikely that I will play this game again, but this game is good to play it on the weekend

The thing is, some of us are playing so many new games that some are bound to slip our attention. There's Dead Island 2 that came out recently, Resident Evil 4, Hogwarts Legacy just to name a few. I wasn't even aware of this game until @Kane99 made this thread earlier this year and because there's hardly any news about it, most of us probably forgot.

I played about an hour, maybe an hour and a half of this game through gamepass, and I really did not care for it. It just felt really sloppy in my opinion. The controls didn't feel great, the start of the story was all over the place, and there were either two or three on rails vehicle sections in the first 15 minutes or so, which I just found really annoying. The main character is also really insufferable. It might be better in the original Russian, but in English he sounds like a complete ass

13 hours ago, Anders said:

I played about an hour, maybe an hour and a half of this game through gamepass, and I really did not care for it. It just felt really sloppy in my opinion. The controls didn't feel great, the start of the story was all over the place, and there were either two or three on rails vehicle sections in the first 15 minutes or so, which I just found really annoying. The main character is also really insufferable. It might be better in the original Russian, but in English he sounds like a complete ass

I'm actually inclined to agree.

The main character is brutish douche that kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem, but in a bad way. He's without the humour and obvious over the top persona, so it feels like you meant to take him seriously and that just bleeds away all of the charm he would have had if the character had been more of a joke. And yes, that "GI Joe" American accent is a big part of the problem. Maybe there is reason for that the story just hasn't explained yet, like maybe it turns out he's a defector or something like that and whilst that would be a pretty cheap way of tying that together, I would take that, just anything to explain why I'm playing as Sgt Jack Texas-Semper-Fi-Mutha-Fucka (OK, that's not his name, but it may as well be) in an alternate version of the USSR in the 1950's.

That would be tolerable, if the game was fun to control, but like you did, I find it's not. I was using a keyboard and programmable mouse, so OK, it's not fair for me to blame the game entirely before I've tweaked my settings and button mapping, but the methods of selection for the weapons and items and the actions within combat do not feel intuitive at all. Same is true of that dodge function. Now, I'm not really a fan of dodge mechanics in a first person game anyway, it just feels disorientating and I find blocks and parry's way more satisfying in this perspective, but in this game it's made worse by the controls. If feels loose and vague and I have no confidence in it actually working whenever it's time to use it.

Then there's the stealth. Here's how it works, you hit the stealth kill control (which is mapped to the general action button, like for opening doors and talking to NPC's and even that seems weird to me) to then do to a quick time event whare you bash the stealth kill button as fast as possible to execute the stealth kill.  Who thought that was a good idea? First, the game gives you just barley enough actually do this anyway, but more importantly it's frantic and blunt control input that doesn't fit the action of stealth at all. Something like the override mechanic from Horizon Zero Dawn whare you hold the button making the challenge about timing the attack right, that would be ok, but that button mashing bullshit should only apply to a "build up of strength" or a super attack whare you're trying to score as many hits as possible in a limited amount of time. The point is, it does not suit a subtle, silent action.

It is too early for me to judge the game yet, I'm only about an hour or two in, but it already feels like a poor man's BioShock infinite.

Edited by Shagger