Register Now
Kane99

New Steam Game Costs $2,000 and is Not Even 2 Hours Long

There is a new game on steam that'll cost you $2000 if you want it, and guess what, it's not even 2 hours long. 

Source - https://gamerant.com/most-expensive-steam-games-hidden-and-unknown-price/

This new Steam game is titled The Hidden and Unknown and is developed by ProX and is currently the most expensive game on steam. The reason for charging so high, is that the developer feels he has every right to charge what he wants. And even goes on to say that if they don't like the game, they can complete it in less then 2 hours and still get the refund, and he even suggests people do that if they feel the cost isn't fair. 

So far two people have left a review on the game, one saying it was worth the buy and another saying would buy again. 10/10. Though one review is a pre-release review so I'm assuming they got a copy for free haha. While the other reviewer may have actually purchased it. 

Could you see many people buying this? I wonder if any lets players will pay the $2000 just to stream it. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2193940/The_Hidden_and_Unknown/

I think this is just some whining protest against Steam's refund policy... or their just being pretentious.  I could see it being useful to some people though, like if they want to claim a means tested benefit and need to quickly hide some money!

Yeah, this surely has to be a stunt... even if it's absolutely terrific, there's [i]surely[/i] no way it's worth the $2,000 asking price?

No matter how good it is, it still has to compete against all the games that are available for a fraction of the price...

I actually thought there was a maximum price cap of $200 for software on Steam, obviously I was wrong. This game, though, can only be one of three things

1. A stunt.
  2. A scam.
  3. A front for money laundering.

The game looks terrible as well. It looks like a VN, so story based game that, according to the trailer, "guarantees confusion". Well, joke's on you ProX, you've already confused me and I didn't give you penny!

Edited by Shagger

6 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I actually thought there was a maximum price cap of $200 for software on Steam, obviously I was wrong. This is can only be one of three things

1. A stunt.
  2. A scam.

The games looks terrible as well. It looks like a VN, so story based game that, according to the trailer, "guarantees confusion". Well, joke's on you ProX, you've already confused me and I didn't give you penny!

I thought there was a limit to how much you can charge for a game as well. My guess is that maybe he had to reach out to Steam about allowing that price point, or they do let you price as high as you want. I would have thought they would have some kind of vetting process for this sort of thing. 

But I do think in the future if they haven't already, they should set a pricing limit so that games like this don't get onto their marketplace. 

This has definitely got to be some kind of act. I would be very surprised if anyone bought a game that isn't even 2 hours long to play for $2000 unless they just had a lot of disposable income and spending that much wouldn't even matter to them. I sure wouldn't take the risk to spend that much on a game to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I actually thought there was a maximum price cap of $200 for software on Steam, obviously I was wrong. This is can only be one of three things

1. A stunt.
  2. A scam.

The games looks terrible as well. It looks like a VN, so story based game that, according to the trailer, "guarantees confusion". Well, joke's on you ProX, you've already confused me and I didn't give you penny!

Apparently that's not been true for a while. In 2019 a VR game entitled "Ascent Free-Roaming VR Experience" was released and is still on sale for the price of $999. There are also individual items in CS:CO can sale for as much if not more than The Hidden and Unknown.

I'd also just like to mention while on the subject of outrageous scams in gaming.  Star Citizen's Legatus 2951 pack costs $40000... as of 2021... theirs probably something even more expensive now.

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Apparently that's not been true for a while. In 2019 a VR game entitled "Ascent Free-Roaming VR Experience" was released and is still on sale for the price of $999. There are also individual items in CS:CO can sale for as much if not more than The Hidden and Unknown.

I'd also just like to mention while on the subject of outrageous scams in gaming.  Star Citizen's Legatus 2951 pack costs $40000... as of 2021... theirs probably something even more expensive now.

That is just insane. I don't know how anyone can think something like that is worth that much, especially it being a digital game, with digital graphics, and did I say it was digital? lol

But seriously, this has to be some kind of publicity thing to draw news outlets in, in the hopes of getting some idiots to actually buy it. I wonder if anyone actually did buy this. 

Before I go any further, massive credit to steam user and YouTube video game reviewer Matthew Werner for both his steam review;

2100664170_Screenshot2023-01-26025809.thumb.png.4a36db76c5100e52762b738585c13062.png

And this YouTube video to show this game, and it's worse than any of us could have imagined.

Why is it so so terrible? The text is grammatically flawed, the artist behind the images was paid in bandwidth and the writing is from the mind of an immature MAGA prat who obviously hates games like Tell Me Why, Life is Strange and The Last of Us Part II for all the wrong reasons. I'm not going to go any further, the video speaks for itself, but man is this bad.

It's clear now what the true goal this very strange individual, who will never have sex with a woman ever in his life, had behind creating this so-called "game". That being publish his bizarre transphobic conspiracy ideas because they would never get published in anything respectable. I do actually admire his ingenuity, it is getting more attention that it otherwise would have, but he's going to learn the hard way the idea that "any publicity is good publicity" is a myth.

Edited by Shagger

SAY WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I did read this from the dev

The reason for the price tag is that I wouldn't want to just sell my own life for pennies, as to me, the story means more than just a pure 'game'. 

I understand if there are people who do not believe that this price tag is reasonable, and I do not judge them, actually, on the contrary, I believe that no one should buy it, that can't afford it. Even then, I made sure that the game is just below two hours of playtime, so you can finish the entire story, and then refund the game as to ensure that you do not feel cheated out of your money. I do not wish to get any people into financial trouble, I just price my game as it feels right to me, which is my right.

He's flippping crazy

You know what, I'm just going to push aside the crazy, transphobic, misogynistic and down right illiterate ranting  of this toxic man baby aside for one second and just laugh at how incompetent his wring is.  Take a look at this bit of Matthew Werner's video and ask yourself if there is any chance that this clown actually read what he wrote down out loud:

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

You know what, I'm just going to push aside the crazy, transphobic, misogynistic and down right illiterate ranting  of this toxic man baby aside for one second and just laugh at how incompetent his wring is.  Take a look at this bit of Matthew Werner's video and ask yourself if there is any chance that this clown actually read what he wrote down out loud:

You're right, the writing is terrible.

My biggest gripe was that I, for one, couldn't gauge anything about the world or characters accurately based upon what was being described. This kid Brian was playing football, discussing some space sim' MMO with his friend then doing a class assignment on physics (Whare the first person to turn in the answer got the highest mark which makes no sense), to then go back outside to a playground that (based on the artwork shown) looked built for little kids to play hide and seek? How old is this kid supposed to be? I seriously have no idea? Also, according to the insane, toxic ramble that was the introductory text scroll, wasn't this supposed to be set in the 2100's? I didn't get that impression at all, I was getting late 1990's- early 2000's ish... maybe.

That's not the only way in which the story completely failed to connect to that text scroll. In fact, I don't think a single thing in the rest of the game connected to it at all aside the name of the main character. If your going to create such a transphobic and misogenistic ramble for the set up of your story, at least have the balls to stick to it. But no, instead he decides to feed his inner fantasy about how he wished his school days went buy being an unsung hero on the football team, a genius in physics class and... being really good at hide and seek? Suffice to say, the story went absolutely nowhere.

13 minutes ago, Shagger said:

You're right, the writing is terrible.

My biggest gripe was that I, for one, couldn't gauge anything about the world or characters accurately based upon what was being described. This kid Brian was playing football, discussing some space sim' MMO with his friend then doing a class assignment on physics (Whare the first person to turn in the answer got the highest mark which makes no sense), to then go back outside to a playground that (based on the artwork shown) looked built for little kids to play hide and seek? How old is this kid supposed to be? I seriously have no idea? Also, according to the insane, toxic ramble that was the introductory text scroll, wasn't this supposed to be set in the 2100's? I didn't get that impression at all, I was getting late 1990's- early 2000's ish... maybe.

That's not the only way in which the story completely failed to connect to that text scroll. In fact, I don't think a single thing in the rest of the game connected to it at all aside the name of the main character. If your going to create such a transphobic and misogenistic ramble for the set up of your story, at least have the balls to stick to it. But no, instead he decides to feed his inner fantasy about how he wished his school days went buy being an unsung hero on the football team, a genius in physics class and... being really good at hide and seek? Suffice to say, the story went absolutely nowhere.

Yeah that's definitely an interesting approach to teaching.  Getting the top grade isn't about the quality of your coursework or how well you've demonstrated your understanding of the subject...  The only thing that matters is how quickly you can hand it in!  That would be worst teacher ever, Image this guy doing a presentation for toddlers about road safety:

Hello boys and girls (yeah only 2 genders because I'm assuming that this teacher is just as transphobic as the idiot that wrote him)!   The most important thing about crossing the road safely is SPEED!  Don't Stop for anything!  Don't stop to look both ways, don't stop to check your shoelaces,  don't wait for the green light and/or crossing officer.  TJUST FUCKING BOLT FOR IT!  Repeat after me  "The one that gets to other side first is always the survivor!"

Then they all cried in confusion and fear.

Fucking hell!

This guy is just another grifter who thinks their ideas are so privileged enough to charge $2,000 because they are singing to the tune of the MAGA base. That is what all these psychopaths are doing, is creating a bunch of conspiracies, hate, division, so they can grift money from other people's fears and satisfy their hate lust. Imagine a world where all your games are like this weird tribalism. They lack any and all basis for their conspiracies. And the reviewer nailed something on the spot. It's how he says how "you can't trust fascists because they don't know how people talk."  The one who wrote the game sounds very psychotic at times, laughing in mid speech in their writings, and not really putting any substance together. Take this to an English teacher and they will have a fit. I mean, I ramble sometimes drunk talking, but at least be sober if you are writing a game. Because really, none of it makes any sense. I guess you can set your bars really low as long as your audience is looking for confirmation and not substance. A 5 year old could have written a better game. To charge that much I guess had its intention by causing a splash for advertisement purposes. How else would you stand out with shit like this? And now the message has a platform. All it takes is that -one- who says hmmm. And he gets a recruit. This is grifting. 

Well it would be bad enough if this were just paying $2000 US for some AI generated art and some imbecilic transphobic ranting, but I'm sorry that the rabbit hole goes even deeper.   Seriously prepare yourself.

I first leaned about this from a video by PyroLIVE but I did go to the source to verify it for myself and you probably will too because this is simply beyond belief.

The "developer" of this game, ProX, has a website and on this website there are links to affiliated social media including a Patreon.  Now there's nothing wrong or unusual about any of that, until you see the support tiers.   I'm including a link for illustrative purposes but if the mods feel like it should be removed I'm ok with that, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GUY!

image_2023-01-26_183208018.thumb.png.f2aacc6850286d51bcf55ee78da12206.png

You'll notice the first 3 tiers and there's nothing really unusual aside from them being a bit on the pricy side for what's basically just Discord roles.  However there is a forth tier that can only be seen by clicking the "See All 4 Levels" button below...  Brace yourselves.

image_2023-01-26_184045144.thumb.png.7033ad9a1a13bfcd78699b5992dab492.png

image_2023-01-26_183913259.png.9b971dd1ebbdffb455dea60b5b5614aa.png

Your eyes are not deceiving you, your not counting the number of digits wrong and that amount is not in Vietnamese dongs.  This screwball is actually trying to screw someone out of £14 million plus VAT a month.  In the UK VAT is 20%, so going by that figure that puts the cost of a "Loyal Supporter" (understatement of the fucking age) in USD dollars at $2,087,532.50 A MONTH!!!!!!!  What do get for this?

PROXPAT4.png.ae85e14c45f7803cc0afb654dc4acf8c.png

A "free" copy of the game.  Fuck.... me!