Register Now
Kane99

Justin Roiland resigns from Squanch Games developer of high on life

I never thought I'd be hearing about Justin Roiland possibly being a horrible human being, but it may be reality. Justin Roiland, as most of us know him for being the co-creator of Rick and Morty and also the found of Squanch games who developed games like the recent High on Life and Trover saves the Universe, has resigned from his studio Squanch Games after allegations of domestic abuse. He also was forced out of his show Rick and Morty, which will continue on without him. 

Hell, Hulu even cut ties with him. This dude is done everywhere. I wonder if he's guilty of what he's being accused of. I heard he also got it for false imprisonment. All stemming from a relationship he had in 2020. 

Do you think Roiland is done after all of this? Or will we have to wait for the inevitable court cases to find the full story on this? 

More details on what he did can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/rick-and-morty-will-continue-without-justin-roiland-after-abuse-charges/ar-AA16JKUq

Edited by Kane99

crazy how quick someone with his career can just end. after all this success these people still make these dumb ass decisions that'll affect their career. could've just been a nice dude and still have all this going for him but no he had to do that shit. smh. rip rick and morty it just isn't gonna be the same no matter who they cast

9 hours ago, Empire said:

crazy how quick someone with his career can just end. after all this success these people still make these dumb ass decisions that'll affect their career. could've just been a nice dude and still have all this going for him but no he had to do that shit. smh. rip rick and morty it just isn't gonna be the same no matter who they cast

It's crazy to think someone you respected as an artist, could be a bad person. But, it's good to never to fully trust celebs, because they're not always what you expect them to be. Anyway, they say they're continuing Rick and Morty, and I think it'll be fine without Roiland. Dan Harmon is still a big factor of the show imo, so I think with him still there, they can make due with what they have. 

But yeah, crazy to see how some celebs are behind closed doors. 

I don't have enough to go on with this but let's hear the court verdict and evidence brought forward before we start jumping on the bandwagon. Remember, Johnny Depp was also accused of domestic abuse and we saw how that turned out. I've been seen too much of this happening lately with people being accused of abuse only to find out the allegations are false so let's hear the court verdict.

59 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I don't have enough to go on with this but let's hear the court verdict and evidence brought forward before we start jumping on the bandwagon. Remember, Johnny Depp was also accused of domestic abuse and we saw how that turned out. I've been seen too much of this happening lately with people being accused of abuse only to find out the allegations are false so let's hear the court verdict.

Yeah I'm reserving my judgement until I get the full story too. Roiland has please not guilty to the charges, so maybe there's something he has that will prove his side correct. If all the allegations are false, he could come back to Rick and Morty and his game studio I imagine. But I think he's for now, moving away from his projects to distance himself, and to not hurt the franchises he worked on. 

But if all of what happened is proven true, his career is probably over. Unless he makes some comeback on another platform later. I don't see him ever coming back from this if proven true. 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Contrary to what some areas of the press would have you believe, false allegations in these kinds of cases are very rare. Here's some statistics I pulled from the Official UK Metropolitan Police Website from 2018-2021 assuming that's the last year for witch the figures available, and its pretty alarming:

1936267498_da1.thumb.png.a0b7d53947cb5b62abdcd373ad9bc7b5.png

image_2023-01-26_235520760.thumb.png.464b138a7f533052030a1cd0e7a7295f.png

So this means that in total, domestic abuse allegation are flagged as false only 0.017% of the time. When woman are the alleged victims, it's even less at 0.014%. Now I believe in innocent until proven guilty just as much as you do and I know these stats come from a different country (I couldn't find any stats for America as clear as this without obvious bias behind it publication, but anyone can please post.) and I also acknowledge that things can be different if the people in question are higher profile or live in the public eye, but in this case I find it very hard to believe Justin Roiland is innocent here. I believe that partly because he resigned, that's not the action of somebody denying and fighting against these allegations, but mostly because he already pled guilty to this back in 2020. It does help to actually read the articles in posts from time to time;

image_2023-01-27_001431850.thumb.png.2f60d6c1e5aedc633e1285afd725e51b.png

Sorry, but you don't plead guilty to something to them claim you're innocent only when it becomes big news. So no, I don't believe him.

Edited by Shagger

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

Contrary to what some areas of the press would have you believe, false allegations in these kinds of cases are very rare. Here's some statistics I pulled from the Official UK Metropolitan Police Website from 2018-2021 assuming that's the last year for witch the figures available, and its pretty alarming:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/170c54dce0dff65ddfbd5a762f156eeb8b142e1160d8d344f0a438bd9325114a/1280/https://www.vgr.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2023_01/1936267498_da1.thumb.png.a0b7d53947cb5b62abdcd373ad9bc7b5.png

/cdn-cgi/mirage/170c54dce0dff65ddfbd5a762f156eeb8b142e1160d8d344f0a438bd9325114a/1280/https://www.vgr.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image_2023-01-26_235520760.thumb.png.464b138a7f533052030a1cd0e7a7295f.png

So this means that in total, domestic abuse allegation are flagged as false only 0.017% of the time. When woman are the alleged victims, it's even less at 0.014%. Now I believe in innocent until proven guilty just as much as you do and I know these stats come from a different country (I couldn't find any stats for America as clear as this without obvious bias behind it publication, but anyone can please post.) and I also acknowledge that things can be different if the people in question are higher profile or live in the public eye, but in this case I find it very hard to believe Justin Roiland is innocent here. I believe that partly because he resigned, that's not the action of somebody denying and fighting against these allegations, but mostly because he already pled guilty to this back in 2020. It does help to actually read the articles in posts from time to time;

/cdn-cgi/mirage/170c54dce0dff65ddfbd5a762f156eeb8b142e1160d8d344f0a438bd9325114a/1280/https://www.vgr.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image_2023-01-27_001431850.thumb.png.2f60d6c1e5aedc633e1285afd725e51b.png

Sorry, but you don't plead guilty to something to them claim you're innocent only when it becomes big news. So no, I don't believe him.

Looks like my original link had a typo. Because everywhere else states he plead not guilty to the charges. I'm assuming a typo or they forgot to add 'not' in the quote. CBS and Time both say he plead not guilty. I must've grabbed the wrong link after I saw it reported on Facebook. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justin-roiland-rick-and-morty-adult-swim-cuts-ties-following-domestic-violence-charges/

https://time.com/6248022/justin-roiland-rick-and-morty-charges/

Still though, doesn't mean he didn't do it, just that he's denying the allegations. I wonder if the full story will ever come out. I don't think they said exactly what he did aside from just saying false imprisonment by menace or something along those lines . Did he keep a woman there against her will? That's what I'm seeing with the charges he got. 

Also heard he liked to text underage girls a lot. But haven't looked much into those allegations yet. 

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

1936267498_da1.thumb.png.a0b7d53947cb5b62abdcd373ad9bc7b5.png

image_2023-01-26_235520760.thumb.png.464b138a7f533052030a1cd0e7a7295f.png

image_2023-01-27_001431850.thumb.png.2f60d6c1e5aedc633e1285afd725e51b.png

You still have not posted anything concrete - there have been quite a number of cases where people in the US pleaded guilty to things because their attorney badly advised them (Not saying that's what going on here in this case). Until I see the evidence presented in court and a guilty verdict - I'm not drawing any conclusions. It's not like we're dealing with Mel Gibson who has a history of abuse and violent behavior.