Register Now
Kane99

Naughty Dog says they're done with Uncharted series

Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog have spoken, they have no intentions of making another Uncharted game, and I gotta commend them for actually going that direction. Uncharted is arguably one of their best franchises outside for the Last of Us. But I think it's great they're not making more in the series, because it sounds like it got an ending people enjoyed.

With that being said, I think this opens up Naughty Dog to make new IPs and maybe even go back to their well of content to continue past projects, like idk, maybe Jak & Daxter making a long awaited comeback? Or a remastered set of the Jak & Daxter series. 

What do you think Naughty Dog has in store for us? 

Source - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/neil-druckmann-says-naughty-dog-is-finished-with-uncharted/ar-AA16LHyb

A brave decision, and the correct one in my opinion. Too many game developers prolong a series beyond it's best to milk it dry to then inevitably end on a dud. For example, Metal Gear Solid should have ended at MGS4. That would have been a fine and climatic end to series.

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

A brave decision, and the correct one in my opinion. Too many game developers prolong a series beyond it's best to milk it dry to then inevitably end on a dud. For example, Metal Gear Solid should have ended at MGS4. That would have been a fine and climatic end to series.

True. Studios and developers need to see that sometimes it's okay to end a franchise when its at the height of its glory. Uncharted is one of the best franchises around, and I think it's because they haven't run the well dry on ideas with it. 

It's the same way I feel about certain tv shows and movies overstaying their welcome. Breaking Bad for example is imo, a show people should take note of for when to end a show. Another show that I think should have ended ages ago, was The Blacklist. I hear that show is on it's 11th or 12th season by now, and I think that's too much. Things get stale when you keep repeating the same thing over and over, and I think Naughty Dog saw that it was time to end the series. 

Didn't Kojima want to quit the series after MGS 3? I imagine Konami kept badgering him about a new game. 

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Didn't Kojima want to quit the series after MGS 3? I imagine Konami kept badgering him about a new game. 

According to what I've seen and researched (Check out this very helpful article from Kotaku), Kojima has flipflopped several times over making more MGS games over the years. There was a time he didn't want to releases MG2, then didn't want to make MGS4 because he was interested in making a game for Wii (No joke, he actually said that. Source.), so I wouldn't actually take what he's said on that too seriously. I do believe that at very least he will never make an MGS game again now, though.

Just now, Shagger said:

According to what I've seen and researched (Check out this very helpful article from Kotaku), Kojima has flipflopped several times over making more MGS games over the years. There was a time he didn't want to releases MG2, then didn't want to make MGS4 because he was interested in making a game for Wii (No joke, he actually said that. Source.), so I wouldn't actually take what he's said on that too seriously. I do believe that at very least he will never make an MGS game again now, though.

Yeah I just remember reading from a magazine that Kojima wanted out of MGS and wanted his team to take over at some point. Well it seems that never happened haha. At least not willingly.

Yeah I don't think he has any interest to go back to MGS, especially after Death Stranding and the sequel coming, plus the unknown game he is working on for Microsoft. I'm excited to see what else he does outside of MGS. 

This is definitely a good decision on their part for sure. Many people were really happy with the ending they got from the last game and to have continued the franchise would not have made any sense. It makes sense to leave it where it is and move on from it. Very good call from them. 

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

This is definitely a good decision on their part for sure. Many people were really happy with the ending they got from the last game and to have continued the franchise would not have made any sense. It makes sense to leave it where it is and move on from it. Very good call from them. 

Yeah, let it end at a good point and let it rest. I think one day we could see Uncharted come back, but maybe after a 10-20 year break. I can see that being an acceptable time to revisit it. Or maybe a spin-off of sorts. 

But yeah, I think it's best to let something end in a good or even perfect manner instead of letting it run for too long either. Sometimes things stick around too long and it hurts the overall popularity of it. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, let it end at a good point and let it rest. I think one day we could see Uncharted come back, but maybe after a 10-20 year break. I can see that being an acceptable time to revisit it. Or maybe a spin-off of sorts. 

But yeah, I think it's best to let something end in a good or even perfect manner instead of letting it run for too long either. Sometimes things stick around too long and it hurts the overall popularity of it. 

I agree - another example is Fight Night by EA. Immensely popular series in the 2000's to early 2010's - I'm glad EA didn't try to make another one after 2011. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd have ruined it by now.

54 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I agree - another example is Fight Night by EA. Immensely popular series in the 2000's to early 2010's - I'm glad EA didn't try to make another one after 2011. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd have ruined it by now.

I agree, it's always good when developers know when to stop with a franchise so that they don't end up going to far and ruining it altogether. Unfortunately you will get developers that will still go overboard and try their luck and end up ruining a franchise, I am just glad developers are starting to take note in some cases. 

5 minutes ago, Shortie said:

I agree, it's always good when developers know when to stop with a franchise so that they don't end up going to far and ruining it altogether. Unfortunately you will get developers that will still go overboard and try their luck and end up ruining a franchise, I am just glad developers are starting to take note in some cases. 

To be honest, no one really knows the reason why EA stopped making Fight Night but I hope that reason stays valid so that they won't attempt to revive it.

Just now, killamch89 said:

To be honest, no one really knows the reason why EA stopped making Fight Night but I hope that reason stays valid so that they won't attempt to revive it.

Agreed, a revival will not be something that will benefit them at all when it comes to Fight Night. Even if people ask for it it would be bad for EA to decide to to revive it especially just for a few people who may want to see it. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

True, but with EA, there's a lot of franchises that they kinda forgot about. From the SSX games coming to mind right away. Fight Night is a franchise I thought would stick around for a long time. It is due for a new game for sure, but I don't think it'll ever happen. 

I would really love to see naughty dog make a new IP for their next game (after the multiplayer one coming this year) but I’m afraid after seeing TLOU show do so well that they’re going to play it safe and make TLOU part 3 next 😕

On 1/28/2023 at 6:42 AM, Empire said:

I would really love to see naughty dog make a new IP for their next game (after the multiplayer one coming this year) but I’m afraid after seeing TLOU show do so well that they’re going to play it safe and make TLOU part 3 next 😕

Yeah a new IP would be great. I'm sure they have some ideas for new games in the pipeline. Naughty Dog isn't going to take a break anytime soon. I think we'll eventually get a TLOU 3, but that may be a while off yet. 

I think Neil Druckman is working on a new IP if I remember correctly. So maybe we'll hear more about that soon.