Register Now
Kane99

When do you think we'll see the very first game made via AI?

I know there are some movies, tv, music and even games that utilize AI to help with production and to help in other ways. But what if a game was made solely from AI, from the coding aspect to the story, everything. I know at this point and time it's probably not very likely AI can create its own game. I mean, I'm sure it could, but it'll probably turn out to be a jumbled mess. 

But I am curious to see what AI does with coding. I don't think something made with AI on its own will be good, but I can see more people utilizing AI to help perfect their creations in some ways. 

Anyway, do you think we'll ever see a game that's all made by AI? Do you think it would work as a game? Would it take coding from other games to make its own game? There's so much AI can do and so little we know it's capable of. 

AI is weird. 

Probably sooner than you'd think 😛 . I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it making a basic game within the next five years (if anything, I'd consider it to be a conservative estimate!)

But, as for when it'll create a high-quality AAA-style game, of the scope of something like Skyrim... that'll probably take considerably longer!

I think designing a game, same as creating art, requires a certain idea and creativity that AI isn't really capable of doing. What we have now is AI collecting and detecting prompts to create images, I'd be more interested in a similar experience with game development, not design. Think of how much coding and programming is needed to create a game, those parts, since they logic based, could probably be created by AI.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:32 PM, Kyng said:

Probably sooner than you'd think 😛 . I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it making a basic game within the next five years (if anything, I'd consider it to be a conservative estimate!)

But, as for when it'll create a high-quality AAA-style game, of the scope of something like Skyrim... that'll probably take considerably longer!

Seems to be so, especially with all of these AI services popping up. I know people have attempted to make stories with AI, and even create game code with AI, so the future for AI is pretty bright. Only issue is how much AI will be used and if any of what is used for the AI is copyrighted or not. That's one big thing I worry about with AI is if it steals peoples content to create more content. 

And yeah, I don't see AI being that good to make something like a triple A game, but maybe one day we'll get close. 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Seems to be so, especially with all of these AI services popping up. I know people have attempted to make stories with AI, and even create game code with AI, so the future for AI is pretty bright. Only issue is how much AI will be used and if any of what is used for the AI is copyrighted or not. That's one big thing I worry about with AI is if it steals peoples content to create more content. 

And yeah, I don't see AI being that good to make something like a triple A game, but maybe one day we'll get close. 

Yeah, that's certainly true... although, given how intelligent AI is getting, perhaps it'll be possible to get it to understand and follow copyright law (better than any human ever could!!!)

5 hours ago, Kyng said:

Yeah, that's certainly true... although, given how intelligent AI is getting, perhaps it'll be possible to get it to understand and follow copyright law (better than any human ever could!!!)

AI will only improve as they keep going. It's already in a state where I think it's improving. From writing dialog to answering questions and even using it to talk with people. 

Eventually it will learn enough to understand. Or at least understand enough. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

AI will only improve as they keep going. It's already in a state where I think it's improving. From writing dialog to answering questions and even using it to talk with people. 

Eventually it will learn enough to understand. Or at least understand enough. 

I mean it can code but it's more or less basic coding - I think it'll take another 3-4 years before Ai gets to the stage that it can produce videogames.

45 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I mean it can code but it's more or less basic coding - I think it'll take another 3-4 years before Ai gets to the stage that it can produce videogames.

I imagined so. But with AI training it self over the next few years, I could see the idea of them producing a game with AI being more possible. But it'll take more time while AI learns to code that aspect. 

I'm doubtful it'll even be 3-4 years. It might take a lot longer if it wants to be as good as possible. 

12 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I imagined so. But with AI training it self over the next few years, I could see the idea of them producing a game with AI being more possible. But it'll take more time while AI learns to code that aspect. 

I'm doubtful it'll even be 3-4 years. It might take a lot longer if it wants to be as good as possible. 

With how quickly machine learning is progressing, 3-4 years is actually quite plausible. I mean, if you even looked at chatgpt a year ago, it was nowhere near where it is now.

With the way technology is moving I wouldn't be surprised to be honest if we saw AI making games to be honest. AI is always being worked on in some way and I can guarantee that there are tests probably happening now that we don't know about. It's definitely something I believe we will see in our lifetime for sure, it's not a matter of if but when at this point. Going to be interesting to see how it works out when we do see it. 

It will be difficult for AI to get the wheels rolling when humans keep making games with bugs in it. Last thing consumers need is experimentation of AI made games. How would that even work though? You need humans to interpret the work and make changes. To me it looks like it will be a loss of creativity and comprehension of the plot. Because a computer doesn't know what a story is. And how will it create a new map of an area? Would it generate a bunch of random stuff? Making a whole game by AI alone, I'll say never in our lifetime. I mean it could, but to be published as a finished product and pass quality control issues to make it playable for consumers who spend money on it, well it would have to be a very short game. It would have to be something like Tetris or Pinball. When you add interaction of humans and story, how is AI supposed to do that? Can AI put a book together? Where will it get its ideas from? Pull a bunch of random stuff from the internet? "I'm gonna frog the cheese apple and shoot tears by ocean beers." 😄 Ah, poetry to my ears! 

Hey, for landscapes maybe AI can use satellites and drones to record real time images and use that in the game as everything gets more real anyways. Kind of like augmented gaming. I can definitely see AI being able to do that. Then generate random people. But I still don't see how it can make a story that makes sense. That's why I say it would best be used for non-role playing games. The day AI does make its own RPG, you better watch out cause it is actually thinking...and it will take over the world...

Despite how fast technology is moving, I would say it's still a ways off. Sure there are things like the Oculous,(SP?) but true AI is something that a lot of people are afraid of. They get things like the Terminator in their head, which makes them apprehensive about it. True full fledged AI is coming, and sooner than we may think, but is still a long time away.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:22 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

It will be difficult for AI to get the wheels rolling when humans keep making games with bugs in it. Last thing consumers need is experimentation of AI made games. How would that even work though? You need humans to interpret the work and make changes. To me it looks like it will be a loss of creativity and comprehension of the plot. Because a computer doesn't know what a story is. And how will it create a new map of an area? Would it generate a bunch of random stuff? Making a whole game by AI alone, I'll say never in our lifetime. I mean it could, but to be published as a finished product and pass quality control issues to make it playable for consumers who spend money on it, well it would have to be a very short game. It would have to be something like Tetris or Pinball. When you add interaction of humans and story, how is AI supposed to do that? Can AI put a book together? Where will it get its ideas from? Pull a bunch of random stuff from the internet? "I'm gonna frog the cheese apple and shoot tears by ocean beers." 😄 Ah, poetry to my ears! 

Hey, for landscapes maybe AI can use satellites and drones to record real time images and use that in the game as everything gets more real anyways. Kind of like augmented gaming. I can definitely see AI being able to do that. Then generate random people. But I still don't see how it can make a story that makes sense. That's why I say it would best be used for non-role playing games. The day AI does make its own RPG, you better watch out cause it is actually thinking...and it will take over the world...

I think a randomly generated world is cool. A lot of games already do this, with Minecraft as an example. Procedurally generated worlds. But yeah, I agree it would be tough for AI to do the whole game itself. I imagine we'd have to do the story, characters, acting, and all the other important coding etc. While the AI could generate the world you play in, and maybe even the weapons, items etc. It could also generate random location drops and so on. 

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Despite how fast technology is moving, I would say it's still a ways off. Sure there are things like the Oculous,(SP?) but true AI is something that a lot of people are afraid of. They get things like the Terminator in their head, which makes them apprehensive about it. True full fledged AI is coming, and sooner than we may think, but is still a long time away.

Yeah there's a lot it still can't do. I think one day it will progress to a point where we can create stories and ideas from AI, but I don't think we'll see a point anytime soon with an AI program coding a full length game including the story, characters, setting, plot, etc. 

Problem with AI is that video game developers will no longer have jobs. That means, all of the students who took out loans for college and university to study video game development have wasted 10,000's of dollars, when AI can write the code for you now. I think this would also bring the price of video games in the industry down as after the first release it's like the domino effect.