Register Now
Kane99

What video game mascot is the best out of them all?

Whether it be the likes of Mario, Sonic, Spyro, Master Chief, Kratos, Link and more, there is a mascot for just about every console made. Out of every console mascot, which one would you say is the top dog? Like the one who you'd say is the most popular of them all, the ones that are household names that most people know. 

For me, I think Mario is right at the top, and I think it's safe to say he's probably the most important console mascot around. Sonic may be in second, since to be fair, he is pretty iconic and he's been around nearly as long as Mario. 

But, out of all the mascots and faces of the companies, which mascot or character is the most recognizable as the greatest of all time? 

I'm convince that Sonis is the greatest mascot of anything ever, since afaict he's the only mascot that sustain a franchise via his image alone. Most franchises probably can't weather a Sonic 06. Hell, Mario probably couldn't survive a Sonic 06. Everyone else just vanishes off when their franchise got less and less popular.

Sonic survived like 5 Sonic 06, and kept the franchise alive by himself.

This is a tough choice for me between Sonic and Mario to be honest. Both are really popular mascots and they have been around and popular for so many years now. Sonic is the mascot for Sega and Mario is the mascot for Nintendo and both companies did a great job with both of their mascots. I don't think I could choose between either one as they are both best in their own right and even now, they are both popular and still going as strong as they were when I was a kid. 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:58 AM, Empire said:

I'm convince that Sonis is the greatest mascot of anything ever, since afaict he's the only mascot that sustain a franchise via his image alone. Most franchises probably can't weather a Sonic 06. Hell, Mario probably couldn't survive a Sonic 06. Everyone else just vanishes off when their franchise got less and less popular.

Sonic survived like 5 Sonic 06, and kept the franchise alive by himself.

That is a good argument for Sonic. He has stood the test of time and has suffered many bad games over the years. I'd argue that Mario has had a bad game or two. Mario is Missing is considered a failure if I'm not mistaken. And I think there was one other Mario game that failed. Yeah not nearly as much as Sonic, but I feel like Mario could afford to have a bad game once in a while too. Not saying they should of course though lol. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I would say it's between Mario and Pac Man, then Sonic. Pac Man grabbed the world by the throat, held it up, and said I own you. Pac Man has been legend since. Mario probably wins it because he has feet. 😆

Pac-Man is a good pick, but I feel like he's not a household name like Mario or Sonic is. At least not these days, kids don't really know him all too well and I feel like this generation doesn't know them. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I would say it's between Mario and Pac Man, then Sonic. Pac Man grabbed the world by the throat, held it up, and said I own you. Pac Man has been legend since. Mario probably wins it because he has feet. 😆

That is a myth lol. In the video below, this is the Pac Man cartoon from the 80s where we clearly see Pac Man with hands and feet. We shouldn't judge - maybe he's some kind of transformer where goes into some kind of chomping mode. Maybe that's his vehicle form...

Edited by killamch89

I imagine the reason he didn't have legs in the original game is probably due to limitations. And it probably would have looked weird if he had legs anyway. In a cartoon show you can easily add legs and hands. But in video games, back then you were very limited with sprites and graphics in general. 

Also, I may be wrong, but I think he had legs on the arcade cabinet itself. Just not in the original arcade game. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That is a myth lol. In the video below, this is the Pac Man cartoon from the 80s where we clearly see Pac Man with hands and feet. We shouldn't judge - maybe he's some kind of transformer where goes into some kind of chomping mode. Maybe that's his vehicle form...

Talk about nostalgia! I'm gonna have to watch a full episode of Pac-Man now no doubt!!!!! Hey! He does have feet!!! 🤗

This is a hard one. Mainly it's due to most systems not having any kind of actual mascot. The only two that even remain in gamers' minds are Mario and Sonic. neither Xbox nor PlayStation ever elected any character as their representative. The systems before NES (Atari 2600, Colecovision, etc.) had no mascots either.

So it basically boils down to do you like Mario or Sonic better. I have no real preference, but considering that I am a Nintendo fan, I'll just say Mario.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

This is a hard one. Mainly it's due to most systems not having any kind of actual mascot. The only two that even remain in gamers' minds are Mario and Sonic. neither Xbox nor PlayStation ever elected any character as their representative. The systems before NES (Atari 2600, Colecovision, etc.) had no mascots either.

So it basically boils down to do you like Mario or Sonic better. I have no real preference, but considering that I am a Nintendo fan, I'll just say Mario.

PlayStation kinda had a mascot in Crash Bandicoot originally, but it was never tied down to Sony I believe, so it was never an official mascot. I think people tried to say Gex was, but he was on the N64 and other consoles. 

I'd say Xbox has Master Chief though, probably the most recognizable character from one of their first ever franchises. I think he counts, though not by any means the greatest, I think he's popular enough. A lot more recognizable than say Blix the Cat or whatever it was haha. I think they tried to get Banjo and Kazooie to be mascots, but I don't count them, they will forever be Nintendo. 

I've always preferred Sonic over Mario, personally. Not sure why: maybe it's because I delight in the inherent contradiction of being a "speedy hedgehog", or maybe it's just because I like blue 😛 .

Still, I'll acknowledge that Mario is the more influential of the two.

I'm curious to know if there are mascots from the foreign market that aren't well known in the US? I'm sure there are mascots from foreign games we never heard of or never got to see in the US. Are there any well known ones, say in Japan or other major countries? Maybe they change characters in some games over there and their mascots differ from ours. I doubt it's a lot, but I am curious to know.