Register Now
Kane99

Why doesn't Nintendo not make more Wario and Waluigi games?

We've had a few games featuring Wario as the main character and I don't know if Waluigi had the same treatment. I feel like Wario is often the one most people talk about out of the two. Anyway, why is it that Nintendo hasn't pushed for more games featuring these two? I feel like Mario has gotten enough games as it is, and would like to see them experiment with ideas for Wario and Waluigi games. 

I think it'd be funny to call it Super Wario Bros or something. What do you think though? Would you like to see these two featured in more of their own games? 

Yeah, they lack ideas for him, but also he just isn't a household name like Mario, so any game will sell worse simply for starring and being named after him. Occasionally something does alright without Mario’s name, like Luigi's Mansion, but often it goes the way of Super Princess Peach. 

They should incorporate him into a new Wario Land style game.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

Yeah, they lack ideas for him, but also he just isn't a household name like Mario, so any game will sell worse simply for starring and being named after him. Occasionally something does alright without Mario’s name, like Luigi's Mansion, but often it goes the way of Super Princess Peach. 

They should incorporate him into a new Wario Land style game.

I agree - unless his games somehow incorporate Mario as an important character in the plot, most people aren't into Wario or Waluigi like that. It's a shame too, I personally think he's a very unique character with his twisted yet comical personality. As for Waluigi, I doubt I've ever seen him get his own game. He's always in the Mario party, Mario Kart and other Mario multiplayer titles so I'd welcome a Waluigi game.

You know I noticed just how much Wario and Waluigi didn't get as many games as say Mario and Luigi and it often got me thinking and wondering why that was the case. I personally feel it is lack of ideas for a game with those two characters to be honest but I never understood why. Both are enemies of Mario and Luigi are they not? There are so many ways they could have made more games for these two characters that would have worked so it's a shame they didn't do more. 

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I just kind of assumed that Nintendo don't consider them marketable enough and their probably right.

That could be the case. I know they did things with Wario and Luigi and I guess that was there way of seeing how fans of Nintendo reacted to the characters and if it would be viable for them to make more games with those characters. 

Wario and Waluigi were never particularly popular characters. If I remember correctly, Wario's first appearance was on Game Boy in Mario Land 2 The 6 Golden Coins. Gamers were less than impressed. Most wanted Bowser back. Waluigi was simply made to balance out the adversary. The only place you're going to see them nowadays is Mario Kart. Due to their lackluster appearances, and the minimal attention they got, it would make no sense for Nintendo to make a game based around them. It's already shown to not sell well.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:57 AM, Crazycrab said:

I just kind of assumed that Nintendo don't consider them marketable enough and their probably right.

That's fair. I figured it was due to them not being nearly as popular as Mario & Luigi, or their other IPs. But still, I think they could easily utilize these two for more games. There's probably a lot they could do, and they could even experiment with ideas to see what works and doesn't.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Wario and Waluigi were never particularly popular characters. If I remember correctly, Wario's first appearance was on Game Boy in Mario Land 2 The 6 Golden Coins. Gamers were less than impressed. Most wanted Bowser back. Waluigi was simply made to balance out the adversary. The only place you're going to see them nowadays is Mario Kart. Due to their lackluster appearances, and the minimal attention they got, it would make no sense for Nintendo to make a game based around them. It's already shown to not sell well.

Yeah true. But I think if they got their own adventure game, similar to most Mario games today, it could sell. Especially with Nintendo's name backing it, I think it could do alright. It's not like we ever really got a dedicated game focusing on just those two. And it could be a completely different thing to Mario. Maybe they could use Wario and Waluigi as more adult versions and make the games more serious in nature, or something haha. Idk. I just want to see Wario involved more. :D 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:52 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah true. But I think if they got their own adventure game, similar to most Mario games today, it could sell. Especially with Nintendo's name backing it, I think it could do alright. It's not like we ever really got a dedicated game focusing on just those two. And it could be a completely different thing to Mario. Maybe they could use Wario and Waluigi as more adult versions and make the games more serious in nature, or something haha. Idk. I just want to see Wario involved more. :D 

Honestly, thinking about it, they'd have to come up with a unique game idea for Wario and Waluigi. Otherwise, it'd just viewed as a poor imitation of past Mario games.

27 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Honestly, thinking about it, they'd have to come up with a unique game idea for Wario and Waluigi. Otherwise, it'd just viewed as a poor imitation of past Mario games.

Oh yeah they would have to go into a different direction. Though I'm sure it could still be a traditional platformer. 

I know Warioware is a thing, but I'd want more of an adventure game. I'm sure Nintendo could cook something good up. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh yeah they would have to go into a different direction. Though I'm sure it could still be a traditional platformer. 

I know Warioware is a thing, but I'd want more of an adventure game. I'm sure Nintendo could cook something good up. 

Maybe but they'll likely go the way of putting Wario as the title but have Mario completely take the spotlight for the whole game in effect just making another Mario game. We've seen this time and time again and I wouldn't bet on them changing that formula because they'll still profit from it...

I loved the Wario Land series of games on the Gameboy and I wish we got more of them. I always thought the Warioware games were way too bizarre, they were definitely more catered to Japanese gamers. Waluigi needs his own game, I like him better than Wario and I would think it'd be cool to see him star in his own title. At this point I just don't see Nintendo doing much with these two characters.