Register Now
killamch89

2FA - Two Factor Authentication

Do you use 2FA on your online accounts? If so, which method is your favorite? Codes on your Authenticator app, Hardware Authenticator (Yubikey) SMS or Email? Personally, I always use the Authenticator app codes as well as Yubikeys to keep my accounts secure. What about you?

I'm not a fan, some asshole once used 2FA to lock ME out of one of my accounts.  Not to mention If your in a situation where you've changed your phone number, like it got lost, stolen or you switched providers, getting back into 2FA account can be an absolute nightmare.

Just now, Crazycrab said:

I'm not a fan, some asshole once used 2FA to lock ME out of one of my accounts.  Not to mention If your in a situation where you've changed your phone number, like it got lost, stolen or you switched providers, getting back into 2FA account can be an absolute nightmare.

That's why I tend to use the authenticator codes on apps like Google Authenticator and a Yubikey with a spare key in a Fireproof safe. Using mobile phone numbers as a 2fa method is extremely unreliable because people can easily use tools to copy your sim card number and get the sms to gain access to your account. I don't tend to use the email variant either because if you loose access to your email address, you're screwed as well. 2fa in these times is very essential especially when data breaches/leaks are happening left and right.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, The Blackangel said:

I use it for a few things. Mainly the important stuff like my bank account app. Things like forums, I don't bother. It's not like I'm important enough to hack at a forum.

To be honest, outside of forums, I do it for everything else. 

I am someone that finds 2FA really useful and I will always use 2FA if it is available on a website that I am using. Most places including forums now offer 2FA and I find it to be useful to protect your account and your personal information unless of course the owner of the site tries to abuse the 2FA in which case I can understand why people may be wary about using it. 

I use it on my own forum as well as another forum I'm staff on. It's a great tool and I really need to set it up for other websites that I use, especially my Youtube account. You just never know when it will come in handy when someone tries to hack into your accounts... I don't make my members use it however since my forum is quite small.

I use passwords that are impossible to guess, so just because some idiots use a birthday and thier name, doesn't mean the rest of us are that stupid.

@Ravenfreak, what other forums are you on? I'm asking as a member not a mod'. I just want to know what gaming forums are out there. PM me if you feel more comfortable that way.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:43 PM, Shortie said:

I am someone that finds 2FA really useful and I will always use 2FA if it is available on a website that I am using. Most places including forums now offer 2FA and I find it to be useful to protect your account and your personal information unless of course the owner of the site tries to abuse the 2FA in which case I can understand why people may be wary about using it. 

The benefits outweigh the risk and with how sophisticated cybercrime has become, using 2FA has become a top priority for most people including myself - I'm talking mainly about authenticator codes or a Yubikey or using both in some extreme cases.

I try and use it on important accounts, such as bank, password manager, forums I'm staff on, etc. I just prefer SMS because on my iPhone at least when it sends you the text message code you can click the code to insert it into the input box from the screen you're on.