Register Now
The Blackangel

Best, Worst, Easiest, Hardest?

Ok, I'm looking to get into playing some of my PS3 games, but I can't choose which one. Bear in mind that I'm mostly a fantasy fan, but do enjoy other genres. I have a decent amount that I have played and love. But the majority I either haven't played at all, or just don't remember playing them and why I would quit. So I'm going to list my PS3 collection so everyone can see what I have and go from there. If you see one with **** beside it, that's one that I remember playing and enjoyed.

Assassins Creed 1,2,3
Bound By Flame
Castlevania Lords Of Shadows 1,2
****Dantes Inferno****
Dark Kingdom
Dark Souls 1,2
Darksiders 1,2
Defiance (DDL)
Demons Souls
Devil May Cry 1,2,3,4
Dishonored
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age Inquisition Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (DA Origins, DA Origins Awakening)
Dragons Dogma
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
Fallen Angel Sacred II
Family Guy Back To The Multiverse
FFX/X2
****God Of War 1,2,3, Chains Of Olympus, Ghost Of Sparta, Ascension****
Heavenly Sword
Hunted: The Demons Forge
Infamous Collection (Infamous, Infamous2, Infamous: Festival Of Blood)
Lair
Last Of Us, The
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Reckoning Kingdom Of Amalur
Remember Me
Rise Of The Argonauts
Risen 2 Dark Waters
Risen 3 Titan Lords
South Park The Stick Of Truth
Thief
Two Worlds

I have played more of these games, but those I either didn't enjoy playing, or quit for some other reason. Hence, I'm not marking them.

I know whyThe Last of Us isn't a option, so I'll skip over that and I like to recommend the following:

Heavenly Sword: A good and I'd say largely overlooked and underrated story driven hack n' slash PS3 exclusive. It was made by Ninja Theory, the same developer behind Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and the DMC reboot, and thier strengths are full display in terms of the combat in this game.

Dishonoured: An interesting and unique first person action/stealth game whare your approach (whether it be more passive or aggressive) has a direct effect on the environment.

Remember Me: This one is something of a hit and miss amongst people, but it's worth a try for anyone. It's a third person action/adventure game from Dontnod (the developer of Life is Strange) with a solid, politically mirrored story. The reson why I sys it's hit and miss is the combat. It's complex and tactically diverse, but can be difficult to use.

FFX/X2: Final Fantasy 10 is one of my very favourite games and this remaster with remaster with FFX 2 included is great value and is a great port on any system. I would recommend playing this on PC as first choice or on PS4/XB1 second if possible with better visuals additional gameplay options. The PS3 version is still good, though.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning: Normally, I would have put this further down in the "Recommend this game, but not on PS3" list, but given that the only option to play this game on more modern platforms is through the loosely called "Remaster" Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, a game I've torn to shreds on this forum already, by means, play it PS3. It is possible that Re-Reckoning game has been patched, improved and updated since then and that version does include all the game's DLC, including a brand new DLC made specifically for that version, so keep an open mind to playing Re-Reckoning instead.

Infamous Series: Fine PS3 exclusives games. with fan combat and karma-based story choices. No PS3 collection is complete without them.

Devil May Cry 1-4 (-2): Legendary hack and slash games. Just skip 2, and you'll be fine.

Here are games from the list that would I recommend, but not on PS3. Much better to play them on other platforms for reasons I'll explain.

Skyrim: You probably know this already, but play this game for sure, just on anything that isn't a PS3.

Oblivion:  Pretty much the same reason as above. Playing this on PS3 isn't as ill recommended from me as Skyrim because the other realistic alternative in 2023 is PC and that version has it's problems too (No controller support, for example), but I'd still recommend that version first.

Dragon's Dogma: A decent western style fantasy RPG from Capcom, but the more recent version of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen, is a far superior version of the game that fixes a lot of the original's problems. I actually hated this game originally and only came to like when it was updated.

Here's the games I personally would not recommend.

Demons Souls: If you like the "Soulsbourne" style games, fine, but this my introduction to them and hated it with a fiery passion. I then went on to hate every Solusbourne game I've tried since. Even if you like these types of games, there's a remake out for this now, so I little reason to play this version anyway.

Two Worlds: It's amazing how games tried to be The Elder Scrolls and failed. To put it simply, it's bad. This barley mediocre fantasy RPG was received very badly when it first launched and is probably even worse to play now. Trust me, it's not worth it.

The Risen Games: For full clarity, I haven't played these myself, but I've seen and heard a lot of them, and if the thay are as they appear, they're not great. Here's Angy's Joe's reviews of Risen for example.

That's about all I have to offer. The rest of the games I either haven't played or don't have much to say. I hope that helps.

I've hardly played any of those games except for a few. Assassin's Creed is a series I enjoy but AC1 I haven't played and people say it's a bit confusing. AC 2 takes place in Florence and Venice and is part of a trilogy with Brotherhood taking place in Rome and Revelations taking place in Constantinople. AC3 I really enjoyed and that takes place during the American Revolution in New England areas like NY and Boston. For you, I think you would really enjoy starting off playing AC Odyssey since it takes place in the Greek world but that is on the ps4. Sticking to a ps3, I say AC3 if you choose that series. Then again, they have a remastered version for the ps4. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:32 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've hardly played any of those games except for a few. Assassin's Creed is a series I enjoy but AC1 I haven't played and people say it's a bit confusing.

The first AC game I tried was actually AC1, and it's what turned me off from the AC games entirely. Simply because of the training sequence at the beginning. It never ends. So for a long time, I just hated the game. Then I got others (I believe AC3) that changed my mind about the series. I had decided to give it another chance. And my mind changed. I even got Assassin's Creed The Rebel Collection (AC Black Flag, AC Rogue) on my Switch. They're great games and I enjoy the hell out of them.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The first AC game I tried was actually AC1, and it's what turned me off from the AC games entirely. Simply because of the training sequence at the beginning. It never ends. So for a long time, I just hated the game. Then I got others (I believe AC3) that changed my mind about the series. I had decided to give it another chance. And my mind changed. I even got Assassin's Creed The Rebel Collection (AC Black Flag, AC Rogue) on my Switch. They're great games and I enjoy the hell out of them.

I haven't played Rogue, but Black Flag is definitely good. So much to enjoy in the whole AC series and it sucks you endured AC1, LOL. Not even I went there. Although maybe I should. They need to just remake that game. I don't know how far you got into AC3, but I really liked that one. There may be some things in the animus storyline that doesn't make sense if you didn't play the previous games, but no doubt you would never get around to playing AC3 if you went to play AC2, then Brotherhood, then Revelations, then AC3. But the series is designed to jump in wherever. Odyssey is highly recommended.