Register Now
killamch89

What are some of the most innovative features introduced in the latest generation of video game consoles?

I guess it's as innovative as you say it is based on your terminology, but at the end of the day, I know it's going to be me sitting on my ass, playing another Call of Duty game, just better looking. I think the biggest thing for me is the backward compatibility, specifically on the Xbox. It's a great move to have the Xbox One controllers work on the Series X and vice-versa. I also like how the series X has the backwards compatibility that the X1 has. This is important because I have been really enjoying system link functionality that I use on my 360 and X1.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, Empire said:

I guess it's as innovative as you say it is based on your terminology, but at the end of the day, I know it's going to be me sitting on my ass, playing another Call of Duty game, just better looking. I think the biggest thing for me is the backward compatibility, specifically on the Xbox. It's a great move to have the Xbox One controllers work on the Series X and vice-versa. I also like how the series X has the backwards compatibility that the X1 has. This is important because I have been really enjoying system link functionality that I use on my 360 and X1.

Backwards compatibility isn't exactly new to Xbox hardware so it's more of a continuation if anything...

It is true that backwards compatibility isn't hardware related and so can not be something that is an innovative feature but it is still amazing to see that games that were on older consoles are now able to be played on new generation consoles. I only wish they had added more games to the list before they stopped adding them as I feel they missed so many out that would have been amazing to see backwards compatible. 

I would have to say that peripherals for those who have a disability that allow them to still be able to play video games despite what they may have as a disability is amazing. I have seen people who play video games with their face and that is something I never thought I would see. 

I have played on a PS5 yet, but I see people remembering and creating thier own versions of Haptic Feedback. Or then again, maybe they'll get sued into oblivion y Sony for trying, but the point is that is what people will remember the most.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, Shagger said:

I have played on a PS5 yet, but I see people remembering and creating thier own versions of Haptic Feedback. Or then again, maybe they'll get sued into oblivion y Sony for trying, but the point is that is what people will remember the most.

Sony isn't quite as extreme as Nintendo - at least most times they aren't. As long as you're not selling it, they probably won't care unlike Nintendo who would be suing the hell out of you for doing the same.

I got an Xbox Series X about two months ago, and for me the absolute biggest next gen thing is quick resume. I absolutely love being able to switch between the last couple of games I've been playing in a matter of seconds. I love my PS5 as well, but I really wish it had a similar feature. 

On 5/2/2023 at 3:33 PM, Anders said:

I got an Xbox Series X about two months ago, and for me the absolute biggest next gen thing is quick resume. I absolutely love being able to switch between the last couple of games I've been playing in a matter of seconds. I love my PS5 as well, but I really wish it had a similar feature. 

Thanks for the input - that does sound like a very useful feature indeed. Given enough time, Sony will copy it but will put their own twist on it.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, Anders said:

I am still running the Xbox One X but my three sons have their own Xbox Series S  that they got for Christmas 2021. I am often jealous at not only how fast their console boots up but also just by how fast they can also quick resume a game they were playing. The load in time for games as well is just amazing! 

It's getting better and better with every passing year. Some of the most innovative features in the latest generation of video game consoles include faster load times, ray tracing technology for realistic graphics, haptic feedback in controllers for more immersive gameplay, adaptive triggers for enhanced control, and backward compatibility with previous console generations.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, killamch89 said:

Sony isn't quite as extreme as Nintendo - at least most times they aren't. As long as you're not selling it, they probably won't care unlike Nintendo who would be suing the hell out of you for doing the same.

Yeah, that's very correct. Nintendo can be a serious pain in the butt. They are too protective of their brand in a way that can be very annoying. If they were in Sony's position, hundreds of suing will be flying out left, right and centre. 

On 2/17/2024 at 5:44 PM, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's very correct. Nintendo can be a serious pain in the butt. They are too protective of their brand in a way that can be very annoying. If they were in Sony's position, hundreds of suing will be flying out left, right and centre. 

Nintendo are more or less in the same position as Sony but they seem to be suing or threatening to sue someone all the time.