Register Now
killamch89

Which gaming franchise has the most dedicated fanbase and why?

If I had to guess and had to go with a game I know is very popular and has been popular for many years I would have to say that World of Warcraft would be the game with the most dedicated fan base. Even now after so many years it is still a game that many people still play and it is one of the most popular games still as well. 

FF14 for sure cause of course it does. I have noticed newbie guilds and newbie help on there for somebody like me. I am not a usual MMO player, but had soo many people offer to help me out and such. I've never felt that sense of community and like people actually wanted to help me. World of Warcraft has it's own dedicated fanbase too, but never felt like I got as much help as in FF14.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I would have to say The Elder Scrolls. It's fans have always played the hell out of every entry. Especially Skyrim. Their fanbase for these games is monumental. At least from what I can see.

I would've also said that but honestly, I have to give it to the COD fanbase. Those lot are dedicated as hell - I mean, no matter what rubbish Activision puts out, most of them will defend it with their lives and if you ever offer constructive criticism about the series? It's like you made blasphemous statements about their God.

13 hours ago, Kale said:

FF14 for sure cause of course it does. I have noticed newbie guilds and newbie help on there for somebody like me. I am not a usual MMO player, but had soo many people offer to help me out and such. I've never felt that sense of community and like people actually wanted to help me. World of Warcraft has it's own dedicated fanbase too, but never felt like I got as much help as in FF14.

Final Fantasy does have a dedicated fanbase but between COD and Fifa, their fanbases are something else and not in a good way either.

19 hours ago, Shortie said:

If I had to guess and had to go with a game I know is very popular and has been popular for many years I would have to say that World of Warcraft would be the game with the most dedicated fan base. Even now after so many years it is still a game that many people still play and it is one of the most popular games still as well. 

I'd kind of disagree somewhat because yes, there are a good amount of people who still play but there are also a lot of former WOW players who've also moved on. Call Of Duty's fanbase on the other hand seems to have retained most of their fans since the original release and keeps growing.

16 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I would've also said that but honestly, I have to give it to the COD fanbase. Those lot are dedicated as hell - I mean, no matter what rubbish Activision puts out, most of them will defend it with their lives and if you ever offer constructive criticism about the series? It's like you made blasphemous statements about their God.

I considered COD, but I honestly see more talk about Elder Scrolls than COD. I know many of the COD gamers are insanely defensive of the game and refuse to tolerate anyone talking shit about it. But ultimately I chose ES.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:23 AM, The Blackangel said:

I considered COD, but I honestly see more talk about Elder Scrolls than COD. I know many of the COD gamers are insanely defensive of the game and refuse to tolerate anyone talking shit about it. But ultimately I chose ES.

Fair enough - I mean you do have to be dedicated to a series when they keep making average games and the community has to literally improve it so you're definitely right in that aspect.

Bioware fandoms are pretty interesting. There's incredible dedication, but there's also a great deal of arguing and infighting due to the varied nature of the games. Another interesting facet is that the quality and caliber of the fan works art, fanfiction, cosplay, etc is actually really high. Some of the stuff you can find for those fandoms is nearly, if not at, professional standards.

Another to mention is Halo 😉

The Paradox grand strategy games have some pretty darn dedicated fans... the appeal of those games is narrow, but very deep. 

(But I guess that's what you get when you make a highly-replayable series of games that are targeted at history nerds!)

On 2/16/2023 at 7:25 AM, Empire said:

Bioware fandoms are pretty interesting. There's incredible dedication, but there's also a great deal of arguing and infighting due to the varied nature of the games. Another interesting facet is that the quality and caliber of the fan works art, fanfiction, cosplay, etc is actually really high. Some of the stuff you can find for those fandoms is nearly, if not at, professional standards.

Another to mention is Halo 😉

The Halo fanbase is a good shout actually because it remains pretty consistent even since the launch of the first game.

It's hard to say what the most dedicated ones are, versus the ones that are too overbearing as fans. I think the majority of COD fans for example are probably 12 year old kids for the most part, with some dedicated fans in the mix. 

I think most fan bases get too big, and in turn the fans get too annoying after a while. I look at the Rick and Morty fanbase after it really took off. People were acting like idiots going to McDoanlds for sauces and all that dumb shit and acting like children when it came to praising their favorite show. Sometimes fans can be a bit too much imo. 

As for the most dedicated, I think Nintendo fans would be the most dedicated, as they seem to bat for Nintendo whenever they can, and don't seem to go super overboard on Nintendo as fans. 

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is GTA. There are gamers that snatch up whatever new one it is that comes out and play the hell out of it. I'm sure there are gamers out there that refuse to play anything else. I know there are gamers like that with certain franchises of games.

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

As for the most dedicated, I think Nintendo fans would be the most dedicated, as they seem to bat for Nintendo whenever they can, and don't seem to go super overboard on Nintendo as fans. 

I grew up on Nintendo and still love it. But I still play several other systems. After PS1 launched, I got into PlayStation, mostly due to Castlevania SOTN and FF8. Since then I've been gaming on more than Nintendo. I love my PS5, and despite initially hating it, enjoy the hell out of my Xbox One. I'm still a Nintendo chick, but I also play many other systems.

Are talking about dedicated fanbases or deluded ones? I ask because it's honestly hard to tell the difference between them anymore. Most long running game franchises and/or the companies behind them have been guilty of incredible cock ups yet still see success and people only willing to defend them. Elitism and genal toxicity also get woven into the threads of so-called "dedicated" fanbases a little to easily as well. I don't want to believe it, but sadly it is true that passion for a video game tends to loosen people's grip on common sense.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is GTA. There are gamers that snatch up whatever new one it is that comes out and play the hell out of it. I'm sure there are gamers out there that refuse to play anything else. I know there are gamers like that with certain franchises of games.

I think that goes for any large enough gaming franchise. You'll have people who won't play anything outside of a particular franchise. I've seen the same with most COD players - if you ask them to try out a competing franchise like Battlefield, they act like you committed blasphemy.

I will go with GTA. I have seen that talked about the most on forums & sites I'm on. It seems to be quite popular. I too have seen people only play the one game & nothing else. Maybe it's to be proficient at it or maybe because they just like playing it. What do you think?