Register Now
killamch89

How do video games impact society and what role do they play in shaping our cultural norms and values?

I would say that social media has very much so impacted society more than gaming has. You always get the whole video games are violent and they are the reason for what the youngsters do not when they commit crimes and such but it's not always the games that are to blame but what they see said and shared on social media that ends up impacting society more. 

19 hours ago, Shortie said:

I would say that social media has very much so impacted society more than gaming has. You always get the whole video games are violent and they are the reason for what the youngsters do not when they commit crimes and such but it's not always the games that are to blame but what they see said and shared on social media that ends up impacting society more. 

That's why we find it so crazy when politicians try to blame gaming for many of society's ills when it hardly has any impact on anything if any at all.

That's a hard question because you would have to look way back from the 80's to 2023 and see if there was an impact from the gaming world on society. For decades gaming was considered something for kids and teens, then the popularity of games like GTA helped boost the adult audience. Then you got people trying to blame games for violence and assuming that gamers have addictions and not a social life. Then you get the pandemic in 2020 that kept people at home and spurred the gaming market boosting a wide variety of gamers. To me it doesn't look like gaming has had a tremendous impact on society or cultural norms, at least not something so distinct that I can pin point. If people aren't gaming at home, they are watching tv or surfing the internet. I think entertainment as a whole would be easier to analyze. Gaming has become a scapegoat for a lot of things and I think that has become the cultural norm. Adult paranoia probably influences gaming more than how gaming impacts society. 

In moderation, games aren't so bad. Spending an hour or two gaming in the evening can be a good way to unwind after a tough day. The problems only start when the games are starting to interfere with a person's normal, everyday activities like working/studying and personal hygiene.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's a hard question because you would have to look way back from the 80's to 2023 and see if there was an impact from the gaming world on society. For decades gaming was considered something for kids and teens, then the popularity of games like GTA helped boost the adult audience. Then you got people trying to blame games for violence and assuming that gamers have addictions and not a social life. Then you get the pandemic in 2020 that kept people at home and spurred the gaming market boosting a wide variety of gamers. To me it doesn't look like gaming has had a tremendous impact on society or cultural norms, at least not something so distinct that I can pin point. If people aren't gaming at home, they are watching tv or surfing the internet. I think entertainment as a whole would be easier to analyze. Gaming has become a scapegoat for a lot of things and I think that has become the cultural norm. Adult paranoia probably influences gaming more than how gaming impacts society. 

I agree with what you said - Gaming is a hobby, a source of entertainment that hardly impacts society on a whole so it's bizarre when the media tries to blame gaming for its ills. Things like mental illness, disparity between the rich and poor and other societal issues created by the leaders of nations around the world are intentionally ignored so that they can keep the populace under control and stay in power.

I can't think of anything in gaming that has had an impact on society in the way it would change out cultural norms and values. I will say though that gaming has become a part of our culture and I think it helps create more inspired people to make their own video games and art. 

I think video games have as much impact as movies and tv do, but I don't think it impacts society, but is inspired by it and we continue to expand that into our media, much like in video games. Does that make sense? 

Video games have a significant impact on society by influencing social interaction, providing entertainment, and driving technological advancements. They shape cultural norms and values through storytelling, representation, and promoting certain ideologies. They can both challenge and reinforce societal norms, making them a powerful medium for cultural expression and reflection.

Disconnection from the real world I think, but this applies to only problem gamers. There is a little link between gaming and cultural norms as well, and if there is it is mostly portrayed as negative. Our old folks especially can go on to state why it’s bad for individuals and the society, but games is just like the scapegoat.
Movies, songs, the news media all have more negative influence than gaming. 

Games are just another medium, and all mediums of entertainment are used to try and influence and shape the thinking of others. Music, Movies, and Games are all highly influential, and the people behind these will use them to promote their political and social views. In turn, many of the consumers will adopt such thinking as their own.

Definitely, I believe that the gaming industry have made so much impact in our world today through their games. Games have been know to key in as a means of entertainment and what people are engaged in tend to change their perception. Games have been known to serve as a therapy. So, it plays a sting of roles in the health sector.