Register Now
The Blackangel

Did the RROD keep you from playing on the Xbox 360?

It kept me from purchasing one until 2013. I bought their "Slim E" model on sale. The Xbox One was about to release or just released and I bought my 360 then. By then the RRoD was a thing of the past and I figured for $200  for a 250GB console + 3 games, i'd take the risk.

I bought it mostly to play games with my girlfriend @Shortie, even though we weren't dating at the time 😛

Edited by Smokey

I've mentioned this a few times here, but I've actually had to send in my original Xbox 360 20GB Arcade console 5 separate times for repairs due to the RROD. It got to the point where I eventually sold off some games and upgraded to an Xbox 360 slim, which did not have the RROD issue once, thank god. But later on it ended up having a disc drive error, so I ended up buying a refurbished 360 later and that has worked fine for me ever since. I don't play it too much though, as my PC has taken over for my gaming needs. 

It sure did. I remember one of the first Xbox 360's I got, it was fine for a little while and then I was hit with the RROD a few weeks later. Luckily I was able to take it back to the store where I purchased it and they did a straight swap for a new one and then would send the one with the RROD back to Microsoft but it was a pain to have to go through that. 

I remember i had a friend who I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with, his 360 had an RROD but the console and game kept playing. The screen was more like a heat sensor screen with all the colours. Let's just say it made it easy to complete terrorist hunt even though I don't think it would have helped his Xbox to keep it running on an RROD LOL

10 hours ago, Shortie said:

It sure did. I remember one of the first Xbox 360's I got, it was fine for a little while and then I was hit with the RROD a few weeks later. Luckily I was able to take it back to the store where I purchased it and they did a straight swap for a new one and then would send the one with the RROD back to Microsoft but it was a pain to have to go through that. 

I remember i had a friend who I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with, his 360 had an RROD but the console and game kept playing. The screen was more like a heat sensor screen with all the colours. Let's just say it made it easy to complete terrorist hunt even though I don't think it would have helped his Xbox to keep it running on an RROD LOL

The problem was due to extended use of the console as it overheated very easily. And I gamed on my 360 A LOT! Like it was on constantly, and to be fair I probably didn't clean it very much, so that probably didn't help. 

Microsoft had to give everyone an extended 3 year warranty for those affected by RROD issues. So if the console had a RROD in that 3 year period, you were covered no mater what as long as it could be proven to be the RROD. Microsoft lost billions because of it. 

There were methods of fixing it, like wrapping your Xbox in a towel, or putting it in the freezer for a few minutes so it cools the processor and all that jazz down. Which probably got you an hour or two of game time before the next RROD, and that's if you're lucky. 

I originally wanted a PS3 but they were sold out at every store I went to, so I settled for a 360. I ended up getting a 360 Elite model in 2010 so I didn't really worry too much about the RROD at the time. I'm guessing the motherboard inside was a Jasper but it could have been a Kronos board since later revisions of the Elite model used the Kronos board. I never had a issue with my old 360, I ended up selling it in 2016 since I needed money at the time.