Register Now
killamch89

What is the most unexpected ending you have experienced in a video game?

Supreme Commander, Cybran campaign. Well it probably wasn't so great to most people but as a pro-freedom, transhumanist I really empathized and identified with the cybrans and wanted them to succeed like no other game has managed so when they did it felt like I had just completed a goal I really cared about. Plus I was the ruler of earth.

The Turing Test has quite a surprising ending. For most of the game, you play as a character called Ava, who solves puzzles under the watch of a GLaDOS-like entity called "T.O.M.". However, at the end of the game, control switches to T.O.M... and gives you the option of killing Ava and her companion Sarah, or doing nothing and allowing them to shut you down.

Was quite a shock when that happened in my game!

Most unexpected? Hmm, I'm honestly not sure. OPs mention of Spec-Ops the Line would probably be my answer, because playing the first time, you don't really take notice to the idea that the main character is dealing with a lot. Like severe PTSD and delusions and so on. 

I can't think of any other game, off the top of my head, that ended unexpectedly. Maybe Hitman: Blood Money, I think the way it ended was kinda unexpected. The ending shows Agent 47s funeral, but, there's a little twist, as you can wake up and take out the people at your funeral. It's a cool way to end a game and has always been one of my favorite endings to a game.  

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Most unexpected? Hmm, I'm honestly not sure. OPs mention of Spec-Ops the Line would probably be my answer, because playing the first time, you don't really take notice to the idea that the main character is dealing with a lot. Like severe PTSD and delusions and so on. 

I can't think of any other game, off the top of my head, that ended unexpectedly. Maybe Hitman: Blood Money, I think the way it ended was kinda unexpected. The ending shows Agent 47s funeral, but, there's a little twist, as you can wake up and take out the people at your funeral. It's a cool way to end a game and has always been one of my favorite endings to a game.  

Hitman's one isn't exactly unexpected because everyone who's played the Hitman series knows Agent 47 is immortal.🤣🤣🤣😂 Seriously, in almost every game he has "died" at least once only for him to show up again close to or fully healed.

On 2/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, killamch89 said:

Hitman's one isn't exactly unexpected because everyone who's played the Hitman series knows Agent 47 is immortal.🤣🤣🤣😂 Seriously, in almost every game he has "died" at least once only for him to show up again close to or fully healed.

True, but as an ending, I didn't really expect it. When I first played it, I actually failed to wake up and the game ended. At first I thought it was intentional. But I thought, nah, that can't be how it ends, so replayed the last mission and figured out the true ending. But, I blame it on the fact I missed a portion of the game where Diana gives him the sedative to lower his heart rate. So that's why I completely skipped the part at the end originally. 

But yeah, Agent 47 can be OP for sure haha. 

On 3/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Kane99 said:

True, but as an ending, I didn't really expect it. When I first played it, I actually failed to wake up and the game ended. At first I thought it was intentional. But I thought, nah, that can't be how it ends, so replayed the last mission and figured out the true ending. But, I blame it on the fact I missed a portion of the game where Diana gives him the sedative to lower his heart rate. So that's why I completely skipped the part at the end originally. 

But yeah, Agent 47 can be OP for sure haha. 

Plus if they kill him off, who'd they get to replace him. Maybe a clone? but what's the point? It's not like you have a lot of other characters in the series that could replace him and there wouldn't be any uproar.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:30 PM, killamch89 said:

Plus if they kill him off, who'd they get to replace him. Maybe a clone? but what's the point? It's not like you have a lot of other characters in the series that could replace him and there wouldn't be any uproar.

When I first played it, I thought there was more, so didn't know what to do originally. But I knew Agent 47 wasn't dead, was just stuck on what to do next. Think I even used a guide back then lol. 

But yeah, no way would they ever kill off 47. I mean, he is a clone himself, hence the name 47, but I don't think they would ever kill him off and replace him with someone else. I would like to see him take on one of his clones as a protégé. He's fought clones in the series a few times. Plus I think he was tasked helping a young girl who was cloned the same way he was, to be a killer. I think he helps train her to do good or something, but I forget. I think that was in Absolution. I know you have to protect a girl who has your skills or something. 

I would say Arthur dying, then playing as John several years later. RDR2 did a gut punch on that one. I knew Arthur was sick, and that TB is a killer. Especially back then. But as the game starts out, I wouldn't have expected that. Also, Dutch betraying everyone wasn't something I initially expected.

Now when I look at it, I honestly believe that Dutch was using the gang to make himself rich. And as son as he thought he had a good enough amount, he was going to take the money and disappear.

Hosea should have been the gang leader anyway.

The most unexpected ending I've experienced in a video game was in BioShock Infinite. When it was revealed that the protagonist, Booker, was actually alternate versions of himself and the whole story was a multiverse mind-bender, my mind was blown. It was a mind-bending twist that I never saw coming.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:56 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd say mine would be when Walker in Spec Ops comes to realize the colonel he's been chasing down for years has been dead for a long while and realizing all the lives he sacrificed to get to this point was in vain. I was surprised that he didn't instantly commit suicide after that reveal. What's your choice?

This game's ending in Spec Ops : The Line would been exactly what I have in mind to mention from just reading the thread title without reading the body of the topic to see we have the same thing in mind. The twist of plot in the game was so unbelievable. 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:41 PM, Heatman said:

This game's ending in Spec Ops : The Line would been exactly what I have in mind to mention from just reading the thread title without reading the body of the topic to see we have the same thing in mind. The twist of plot in the game was so unbelievable. 

I know mate. The thing I liked about it was there were subtle hints that the main character was running around with a few screws loose.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I know mate. The thing I liked about it was there were subtle hints that the main character was running around with a few screws loose.

The arc in Walker’s character was the urgent need or selfish desire to be a hero. It's what made him unhinged in the game with how acted throughout it. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

The arc in Walker’s character was the urgent need or selfish desire to be a hero. It's what made him unhinged in the game with how acted throughout it. 

It's too bad the game was delisted from Steam and other marketplaces because some people will never get to experience this gem of a game first-hand.