Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

Can video games be a good distraction when going through a traumatic time in your life?? :(

Hey all, i hope everyone is well! 🙂

Im sorry for the lack of interaction from me over the past few weeks, but ive separated from my partner of 20+ years and as im sure you can appreciate, ive not been in a very chatty mood, to say the least! 😞

Anyway the above is what made me think about this topic, as after the separation i threw myself into some large open world games (Dying Light one and two), that i knew would keep me occupied for hours and hours, as a way to distract myself from my reality and give me something else to focus on. Obviously it wont take away the pain or headfuk of the whole situation, but in my opinion beats sitting and doing your own head in or wallowing in self pity lol Then i got to thinking about other times in my life, where ive been faced with hard or difficult situations and i would say that video games have helped me through probably around 80% of the difficult periods of my life, i guess by distracting my thoughts and letting me take out any anger or frustration i may be holding on to, on the skulls of the zombies, as i run round the streets of Harran (Dying Light) 🙂

So yeah my question to you guys is, have you had a similar experience yourselves? Have games helped you get through difficult times or situations in your lives? 

Take care peeps and thx for reading my post! 🙂

Edited by ImmersionGaming22

I have used video games to help with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. Video games is one of my escapes from reality and life in general. It has helped me through many hard times. From the stresses of work, running a festival, seeing horrible things, and so on. 

Video games though, can trigger certain things, so it also depends on what I'm playing. Like if you're a veteran of war for example and have PTSD, some video games may trigger you more than help. 

But yeah, I use video games as therapy all the time. To help me relax, to help me unwind, to help me socialize, etc. 

On 2/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, Kane99 said:

I have used video games to help with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. Video games is one of my escapes from reality and life in general. It has helped me through many hard times. From the stresses of work, running a festival, seeing horrible things, and so on. 

Video games though, can trigger certain things, so it also depends on what I'm playing. Like if you're a veteran of war for example and have PTSD, some video games may trigger you more than help. 

But yeah, I use video games as therapy all the time. To help me relax, to help me unwind, to help me socialize, etc. 

Hey Kane99, i hope your well mate! 🙂

Yes i can feel you totally on the anxiety and depression front, as ive suffered from both, quite severely, for most of my life, which im on meds for too, so yeah bud i hear and feel you there! 🙂 Im glad to hear that like me games have been a form of escape for you too, as god knows what would have happened to either of us had they not been an option??

As too your comment about PTSD, yeah i have to agree with that mate, but in reality anyone suffering from PTSD should really stay away from subject matter that could trigger flashbacks or seizures, especially vets like you mentioned. I know if i were a veteran and suffered with PTSD, i would not be going anywhere near any war game whatsoever, as its just not a good idea on any level, as i have seen first hand just how devastating PTSD can be.

But yeah mate i have to agree with everything you said and im so glad we have both found solace in video games, to help us through hard times! 🙂 Long live video game therapy! 🙂 

I would not say that it necessarily helped me deal with my trauma because that's a whole can of worms as far as coping/functioning goes, but Life Is Strange: True Colors is probably the most cathartic game I've ever played as far as something dealing heavily with trauma and probably the game that I have identified with the most in this regard as well.

COmes down to what you play..?

15 hours ago, Smokey said:

I think so. Gaming has helped me through some serious rough times in my life. A pretty bad time in my life growing up is what sparked my true love for gaming and actually what led me to building my own gaming website at the time.

Eyup smokey, I hope your well mate! 🙂

yes bud, as discussed with Kane99 above, the escape and comfort that video games can provide, especially when we are dealing with difficult situations or occurrences is massive. Don't get me wrong they can't solve our problems or take away any hurt or anxiety we may be feeling, but sometimes in life we let things get on top of us or overthink certain situations, which usually makes things 10 times worse. The escape from reality that games can offer is sometimes that rest we need in order for our us to mentally reset or recharge, so although they don't solve or win our fights, they give us the rest bite that is usually really needed and appreciated, much in the same way as a boxer resets in between each round I suppose! Lol I'm glad they have helped you like they have me mate, as its quite easy in this day and age for things to become too much and overwhelming, so the fact that we found an escape may be more important then even we realise! Keep ur chin up pal, and I hope all is going well with your website! 🙂

2 hours ago, Empire said:

I would not say that it necessarily helped me deal with my trauma because that's a whole can of worms as far as coping/functioning goes, but Life Is Strange: True Colors is probably the most cathartic game I've ever played as far as something dealing heavily with trauma and probably the game that I have identified with the most in this regard as well.

COmes down to what you play..?

Hey Empire, I hope your well mate! 🙂

Yes bud you are totally correct in your statement, its not a cure or a solution for stress or anxiety, infact there is no such thing as a one size fits all cure or solution to the stress or anxiety of life, but depending on thr person and of course as you rightly pointed out, the type of game you play, they can be really helpful as in providing a distraction or escape from whatever it is that's effecting you for long enough that you can have a mental rest from it and re-charge your mental coping mechanism, at least that's what I found anyway, as u see the problem I found was not the depression or anxiety i faced, bit the fact that it was constant and always there, that ended up wearing me down over time  which is when I belive bad things happen when people feel like that (no light at the end of the tunnel) whereas when you immerse yourself in something else, to the point that you forget, even just for a short time, your worries, you can reset and be in much better stead to deal with whateva your dealing with! It's not just games that can provide that escape either, we are all different and have our own preference, for some it's going to the gym, reading a book or watching a good film, it's just in my case video games are my go to therapist lol

As to life is strange, I've played every single one if those games and absolutely love them, they are fantastic and I hope they carry on making them, ibfact they are going to be one of the next games I feature on my YouTube channel, as my channel focuses solely on story based games, so they were one of the reasons I created my channel  to feature games like them! 🙂 so yes mate I can feel you on that front as I feel the same about them 100% and I'm glad they helped you too! Keep ur chin up pal and whateva gets you through lifes bad patches us well worth doing! 🙂

I went through a really rough mentally abusive relationship for a while which I was scared to get out of at first due to what had been said to me. I found comfort in playing video games which too my mind away from what I was going through and as much as it didn't get me out of the situation it helped me get through the tough times. I am now happy to say I am out of the situation but I suffer a lot of mental health issues now because of that and even now, gaming is a get away for me when I have bad mental health days. 

Yeah, definitely. I find they can be very immersive, and thus have high 'escapement value' from real life - especially if they're fantasy-themed!

Although, I suppose one disadvantage is that, once the traumatic time is over, I might grow to associate the game with the traumatic time. (For example, one thing that dampens my enjoyment of Transport Fever is that it was my main lockdown game!)

Games are definitely a great way to distract you from traumatic events going on in your life. Honestly any time I would hear my parents argue when I was growing up, I'd go and play my Playstation to distract myself. Gaming is the best way of escaping from real life's struggles in my opinion. Though of course you might not want to play violent games if you're sensitive to violence and if that's what's been causing your trauma.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, Shortie said:

I went through a really rough mentally abusive relationship for a while which I was scared to get out of at first due to what had been said to me. I found comfort in playing video games which too my mind away from what I was going through and as much as it didn't get me out of the situation it helped me get through the tough times. I am now happy to say I am out of the situation but I suffer a lot of mental health issues now because of that and even now, gaming is a get away for me when I have bad mental health days. 

Hi Shortie, im really sorry for the late reply, but as i stated at the top, i was going through a rough patch when i wrote this post, as i split up with my partner of 20+ years, so ive only just started living a normal life again over the last week or so, which is why im now back on this forum too! 🙂

Anyway as to you reply, im really sorry you had to go through something like that, that was also one of the issues i had early in this relationship tbh, where i would be physically, mentally and emotionally attacked, especially when alcohol was involved! I endured that for many years, mainly because we had a child together, but also because i thought i could help her see sense and that she could not treat people that way. It worked to a certain degree, but the biggest factor in preventing it, was making sure the drink was managed, which meant i could never have fun or get drunk, as i was constantly on guard!! so yeah i get where you are coming from totally and know how traumatic it is, even more so than i originally realized. When i separated from her, a few months ago (when i wrote this topic), that's when the severity of the whole situation dawned on me even more, when she no longer had a hold on me anymore (if that makes any sense?) and again like every other traumatic time in my life, i turned to games lol! Now ive also got my YouTube channel to keep me occupied too, which it does believe me, way more than i ever thought it would! So yeah bud, between playing games and editing vids for my channel, which by the way im getting much better at i think, ive once again got through a really hard time in my life, which only collaborates what i was saying a few month ago when i started this topic, at which point id only just separated from her, and the reality had not yet set in. Also as to the mental issues, i suffer with anxiety and depression now too, so again feel you on that score too, and again games also help me when im having a bad day! The choice of game also has a big part to play, as mentioned by Ravenfreak below, as if im anxious i tend to need a more relaxed immersive game, to quietly and calmly pull me into the story, and therefore forget my anxiety. I think someone should do a study of it in one of the big universities, as i really do believe games can have a real impact on people suffering with certain situations/conditions! But anyway im sorry for the short novel Shortie lol and if you ever need to talk mate with someone who has been where you have by the sounds of it, im always happy to chat mate! 🙂 I hope you have gotten over the worst of it now though and that you have found a way to not let it spoil the rest of your life, as that's where im heading 🙂

On 2/28/2023 at 12:56 AM, killamch89 said:

Momentarily, it can help to take your mind off things but I don't think it really helps long-term if you don't try to address the root of the problem.

Hi killamch89, im really sorry for the late reply, but as i stated at the top, i was going through a rough patch when i wrote this post, as i split up with my partner of 20+ years, so ive only just started living a normal life again over the last week or so, which is why im not back on this forum too! 🙂

Absolutely agree, but sometimes a momentary release from said situation is a godsend, especially when it rules your life. Its the same way as how some drink or take drugs (ive tried that too!), they are just ways to find some 
respite, even if for just for a few mins. But yes you are correct, ultimately you will need to establish the root cause and deal with it, but finding the right time can be key, as trying to do it when someone is extremally traumatized or depressed can actually do more damage than good. That's when finding a distraction, like playing games, until the time is right, can be helpful! 🙂 

On 3/18/2023 at 12:58 AM, Kyng said:

Yeah, definitely. I find they can be very immersive, and thus have high 'escapement value' from real life - especially if they're fantasy-themed!

Although, I suppose one disadvantage is that, once the traumatic time is over, I might grow to associate the game with the traumatic time. (For example, one thing that dampens my enjoyment of Transport Fever is that it was my main lockdown game!)

Hi Kyng, im really sorry for the late reply, but as i stated at the top, i was going through a rough patch when i wrote this post, as i split up with my partner of 20+ years, so ive only just started living a normal life again over the last week or so, which is why im not back on this forum too! 🙂

Yes you are correct, but also that is the same for a lot of things in life, and is 
unavoidable. Like for example, if you drink too much of a certain type of alcohol, and end up throwing a really bad whitey (throwing up like the exorcist), you will probably not drink that specific drink again lol! But there is a couple of points id like to make about that theory, firstly if you were to use a game to get you through a bad or traumatic time in your life, and it served its purpose and got you through it, would it be such a bad thing to not be able to play that specific game again?? I mean dont get me wrong its not ideal, but when put aside the alternative of having to deal with the trauma without said distraction, which would be worse?? My second point id like to make, is that in reality you would still be able to play the game, in the same way as you would be able to drink that drink again (in proportion this time lol) the only thing stopping you from doing either of those things would be your own mind, as the game is no different than it was before you played it! So i guess my point is, like anything in life, its about perception! So for example, if instead of thinking oh i cant play that game again, as it reminds me of the trauma i was going through when i last played it, which is basically looking at it from a negative perspective, you could think to yourself wow i love that game, it got me through one of the hardest times in my life, which had i not had it, i dont know how i would have got through it?? So then when looked at from a positive perspective, you would appreciate the game and not fear it, if that makes any sense hahaha!

Im sorry to be getting all philosophical on you lol its just how i think now, ive started looking at life differently lately, and im a lot happier because of it, perspective effects every aspect of our lives, as there is always 2 sides to every coin! 🙂

On 4/8/2023 at 11:47 PM, Ravenfreak said:

Games are definitely a great way to distract you from traumatic events going on in your life. Honestly any time I would hear my parents argue when I was growing up, I'd go and play my Playstation to distract myself. Gaming is the best way of escaping from real life's struggles in my opinion. Though of course you might not want to play violent games if you're sensitive to violence and if that's what's been causing your trauma.

Hi Ravenfreak, im really sorry for the late reply, but as i stated at the top, i was going through a rough patch when i wrote this post, as i split up with my partner of 20+ years, so ive only just started living a normal life again over the last week or so, which is why im not back on this forum too! 🙂

Yes you are spot on there, the choice of game is very important, like ive stated above in the very short reply i wrote to Shortie hahahaha, im in a very philosophical mood tonight, so my replies have been a bit long winded lol, ill try and keep it short and spare you my babbling! So yeah the choice of game is important, like i said when im having a bad day with my anxiety, ill need to play a slow relaxed game, one that's gonna bring me back down gently, whereas if im peed off and angry, then something like doom eternal or a good zombie game would be good, to get out some anger and aggression! As to it being the best way to deal with trauma, that all depends on the person i suppose, for me and you then yes it probably is the best way to distract us, but others maybe not??? 🙂

I already knew my answer a few months ago when this post was created. And it is confirmed now that for me, I disassociate myself from gaming when I'm stressed. I have to be in a positive mind, a peaceful mind, and have energy to play games. I can't play if I'm not feeling alright. I can't play if I'm depressed. I can't play if I'm hungover. I can't play if I feel lonely. I play games when I'm content. If I don't feel content, I just can't play. I won't pay attention to story. My mind will drift. And things will remind me of something I'm trying to forget. I don't want to look back at a game and always think about a depressing event. And I play many games, so one bad event can have me negatively associate to 10 games. Fuck that. 

I often play games to get away from reality. I enjoy getting away from real life a bit and playing these games. I'm not necessarily sad, but sometimes the stress of real life can get to me. Jumping onto a game and having a goal to focus on can help provide a distraction! 

Call of Duty and Destiny were always my best distractions! Maybe that's why I always return to them. 😛

Yes, video games can provide a healthy distraction during difficult times, allowing individuals to temporarily escape and focus on something enjoyable. They can provide entertainment, stress relief, and a sense of accomplishment, helping individuals cope with trauma and regain a sense of normalcy.