Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Does gaming overpower television?

I don't know about you, but when I watch a show now I wish I had control over the narrative. Kind of strange how gaming is a very personal experience where you control a protagonist and on a Sunday you flip your channel to a show where you have to watch another person's narrative. It's not making sense to me anymore. Does gaming triumph all other forms of entertainment? Maybe that should be the title. 

19 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Does gaming triumph all other forms of entertainment?

Well, the short answer is no. And it's not because gaming is any better than other forms of entertainment, but because some stories can only be told at there best as a role play and some that can be only really be told as a non-interactive narrative.

Gaming is all about the role play, whereas TV shows, films and books as non-interactive media are all about observing a story. Games are about literally playing the narrative and being the protagonist, whilst TV shows, movies and books only grant you the role as an observer. Whether that means being the selfless hero or indulging the darkness as the power hungry villain, or whatever. Whether we want to admit it or not, we all have fantasies about being both and that's why fiction lets us be both, but there are some things that nobody, even in great stories, nobody wants to role play with.

For example, you couldn't have a video game based of Lolita. A classic novel turned into a movie not once, but twice. The first of which directed by Stanley Kubrick of all people. But that's not the point, the point is that story makes you sympathise with it's main character despite him being guilty of having a sexual relationship with his underage charge. That is something that would be pretty much impossible to do as a role play because nobody (with any moral fibre, at least) would want to role play that, but it does work as a story being observed form the outside. Beit film or book, that story demands time to let you sympathise with it's main character, time a role play just can't offer as it takes being so far into the story, and that's if you ever sympathise at all. 

There are stories that can work as both a video game and as a non-interactive filmed presentation (The Last of Us being a recent and fine example), but there are also some stories that just don't. There are also stories that may only be fully effective as a role play. I'd suggest open world RPGs like Skyrim as an examples. Film as a media and modern video games as a media have similarities, but some very crucial differences as well.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Well, the short answer is no. And it's not because gaming is any better than other forms of entertainment, but because some stories can only be told at there best as a role play and some that can be only really be told as a non-interactive narrative.

Gaming is all about the role play because TV shows, films and books as non-interactive media are all about observing a story, whereas a game is about being the protagonist. Whether that means being the selfless hero or indulging the darkness as the power hungry villain, or whatever. Whether we want to admit it or not, we all have fantasies about being both and that's why fiction lets as be both, but there are some things that nobody, even in great stories, nobody wants to role play with.

For example, you couldn't have a video game based of Lolita. A classic novel turned into a movie not once, but twice. The first of which directed by Stanley Kubrick of all people. But that's not the point, the point is that story makes you sympathise with it's main character despite him being guilty of having a sexual relationship with his underage charge. That is something that would be pretty much impossible to do as a role play because nobody (with any moral fibre, at least) would want to role play that, but it does work as a story being observed form the outside. Beit film or book, that story demands time to let you sympathise with is main character, time a role play just can't offer as it takes being so far into the story, and that's if you ever sympathise at all. 

There are stories that can work as both a video game and as a non-interactive filmed presentation (The Last of Us being a recent and fine example), but there are also some stories that just don't. There are also stories that may only be fully effective as a role play. I'd suggest open world RPGs like Skyrim as an examples. Film as a media and modern video games as a media have similarities, but some very crucial defences as well.

That's a really good point. Some stories are best left out of the gaming world. But if someone wrote a book and made movies about an underage relationship then that is strange in itself why it was published and directed with actors playing those roles. But those things are no worse than watching an actor who is a serial killer or play as a protagonist serial killer. The medium of entertainment really shouldn't make a difference. Bad is bad whether you watch it or play it. The level of immersion I guess is what makes something go from bad to 'oh shit.' And think about VR and that level of immersion. Therefore, I agree with you that some material should be left out. 

Looking back at the game TLOU and the tv adaptation is a really perfect example to discuss. Both are freaking excellent! The game and the show is emotional and both have brought tears to my eyes. Maybe that is the true experience. Which ever one brings the most emotion. Just depends how it is presented. But even then, I can be gaming in an open world exploring ancient Egypt and reach a level of immersion beyond the boundaries of any story. Like Assassin’s Creed Origins I can go explore ancient tombs and be mesmerized by imagining myself really being there. And the writings on the walls,   culture, beliefs, fantasy. To take control of the exploration instead of watching it in a movie; to stop and go where I want, do what I want, take it all in, soar above with the eagle; they can’t waste time like that in a movie or show. Have that freedom to go anywhere you want at any moment. That is what makes gaming much more overpowering to me and that is regardless of story and emotions of a story. I guess if done in the right way, a movie can capture the emotion of scenery too. I don’t know. I really don’t know…LOL

I think video games stand on their own, much like movies, tv, and other forms of media do as well. I don't like to consider one form of media better than the other, because that's subjective and comes down to your own personal preferences. I personally watch more movies than I play video games, but I don't consider gaming less than movies and vice versa. I enjoy each medium in my own way. 

I think each form of media has its pros and cons, and some do things better, but I don't know if I can pick one over the other. 

My opinion is that it just comes down to personal preference. We as serious gamers love gaming so much that some of us will start comparing it to other forms of media but if we take a step back and look at it objectively, gaming isn't really better. I know must of us think modern TV shows suck nowadays and most of them do but you also have very good ones like TLOU among others. Modern gaming also sucks as a lot of the titles aren't really unique - some are downright poor imitations of great games and have lots of bugs and glitches. The point I'm making is that every form of media has its pros and cons and we should just learn to appreciate them for what they are and stop trying to compare them because they all entertain us in their own way.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

My opinion is that it just comes down to personal preference. We as serious gamers love gaming so much that some of us will start comparing it to other forms of media but if we take a step back and look at it objectively, gaming isn't really better. I know must of us think modern TV shows suck nowadays and most of them do but you also have very good ones like TLOU among others. Modern gaming also sucks as a lot of the titles aren't really unique - some are downright poor imitations of great games and have lots of bugs and glitches. The point I'm making is that every form of media has its pros and cons and we should just learn to appreciate them for what they are and stop trying to compare them because they all entertain us in their own way.

Exactly. It's almost like saying video games is better than Football. It doesn't really make sense to compare the two. Gaming is its own thing, much like tv is. Sure gaming may make a lot more money than movies and tv, but each of the mediums have their place. 

It just comes down to what you like more or less. Someone might hate gaming and prefer to watch movies, and vice versa. 

And yeah, everything has pros and cons attached to it, one thing can be better than the other in different aspects, but I don't think it ever overpowers one or the other. 

If anything, gaming can help television, look at The Last of Us show right now, it's blowing up and now more people are taking notice of the idea of video game adaptations in tv form. It may have kinda failed with Halo, but the Last of Us is enough to show that gaming can be turned into tv. And I can see more games being turned into tv. I hear someone mentioned wanting a RDR tv show next. I would take that for sure. :D

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Exactly. It's almost like saying video games is better than Football. It doesn't really make sense to compare the two. Gaming is its own thing, much like tv is. Sure gaming may make a lot more money than movies and tv, but each of the mediums have their place. 

It just comes down to what you like more or less. Someone might hate gaming and prefer to watch movies, and vice versa. 

And yeah, everything has pros and cons attached to it, one thing can be better than the other in different aspects, but I don't think it ever overpowers one or the other. 

If anything, gaming can help television, look at The Last of Us show right now, it's blowing up and now more people are taking notice of the idea of video game adaptations in tv form. It may have kinda failed with Halo, but the Last of Us is enough to show that gaming can be turned into tv. And I can see more games being turned into tv. I hear someone mentioned wanting a RDR tv show next. I would take that for sure. :D

I wouldn't mind an RDR TV show either - it has such an interesting cast of characters. Another one I wouldn't mind is a Bayonetta anime.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:11 PM, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't mind an RDR TV show either - it has such an interesting cast of characters. Another one I wouldn't mind is a Bayonetta anime.

Expect to see more popular games get a tv treatment soon, people are taking notice to gaming as a respectful place to find potential tv shows. The Last of Us shows they can make something brilliant, so now it comes down to these game companies dishing out money to make movies on their IPs. I think a show is the way to go for this honestly. It lets you flesh out your characters more. 

I could see Uncharted make a series, even with the movie being a thing. But even better, I think the next best move for Lara Croft is to get her own tv show. It would make sense as we can see her rise from he young years to the Tomb Raider we know her to become. I'm sure tv studios are taking notice of games more and more. But now they're going to take them more seriously, to match the quality of The Last of us Show. 

The Last of Us first game couldn't have worked as its own movie. I think the tv show does it right in showing us this wider picture that a movie couldn't. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, Kane99 said:

Expect to see more popular games get a tv treatment soon, people are taking notice to gaming as a respectful place to find potential tv shows. The Last of Us shows they can make something brilliant, so now it comes down to these game companies dishing out money to make movies on their IPs. I think a show is the way to go for this honestly. It lets you flesh out your characters more. 

I could see Uncharted make a series, even with the movie being a thing. But even better, I think the next best move for Lara Croft is to get her own tv show. It would make sense as we can see her rise from he young years to the Tomb Raider we know her to become. I'm sure tv studios are taking notice of games more and more. But now they're going to take them more seriously, to match the quality of The Last of us Show. 

The Last of Us first game couldn't have worked as its own movie. I think the tv show does it right in showing us this wider picture that a movie couldn't. 

Uncharted would be a brilliant one as well and yes, we'll probably see an influx of great games being made into tv series. We just hope they get proper directors that can bring it to life as a tv series.

To me: not at all. I mostly play strategy games - but they require mental energy, and sometimes, I don't have that. In these cases, I'd much rather sit down in front of the TV 😛 .

Besides, a narrative you can control is rarely going to be as compelling as a narrative from a well-made film or TV show!

Personally they scratch different itches. Sometimes I like to interact with my entertainment and sometimes I like to watch shows that lets me get invested in the long term success and failure with good writing. Sometimes I have to switch it up between the two when I need to mix up the entertainment. I think there’s room for both because purpose and feelings I get from games and tv shows are so different. I feel like this focus on what is or isn’t “for adults” can make you miss a lot of cool stuff. While some of the best tv series and video games ever made are for adults, some of the best video games and tv shows ever were made for “kids”

I personally wouldn't say that gaming takes over TV for me but then again I don't watch too much TV and any TV that I do watch, I can't say that I have ever had the urge to want to take over like I would in a game and change things. I believe gaming and TV watching are two separate things and I love to watch TV shows for the storyline where I do not know what is going to happen, with stories if you are making the decision, you are going to know what happens and that is where I see a difference. 

On 3/22/2023 at 7:15 AM, Empire said:

Personally they scratch different itches. Sometimes I like to interact with my entertainment and sometimes I like to watch shows that lets me get invested in the long term success and failure with good writing. Sometimes I have to switch it up between the two when I need to mix up the entertainment. I think there’s room for both because purpose and feelings I get from games and tv shows are so different. I feel like this focus on what is or isn’t “for adults” can make you miss a lot of cool stuff. While some of the best tv series and video games ever made are for adults, some of the best video games and tv shows ever were made for “kids”

Yeah, it's understandable that most people have particular preference for one or the other but I like both for different reasons. Sometimes, I like to go along for the ride when watching a particular series particularly when the story is well-written in a TV show. 

It depends on personal preferences and habits. Gaming has grown in popularity and can provide interactive experiences, but television still remains a widely consumed form of entertainment for many people. Both mediums have their own unique strengths and appeal to different audiences.

TV for me is a relaxing form for me, I'm out of control, and I don't want any sense of control on it. I just want the story given to me and for me to enjoy it. Games however are differing because you have the control and have to make decisions. I think it is up to you for what you want to use the entertainment for. Gaming can be relaxing as well depending on the game, but it depends on what you game for, what types of games you enjoy.