Register Now
Kane99

How often will we have to upgrade VR now?

VR has been gaining popularity every year and continues to get popular. It's especially so as it's a lot more affordable these days than it was before. You got a few options on PC, and even standalone ones like the Meta Quest 2. But you also have the PS VR 1 and now 2 that just came out or is coming out soon. Which made me wonder as well, how often will we be needing to upgrade our headsets to meet new standards of VR gaming? I'm hearing Meta Quest 3 is on the horizon and when will we end up seeing another PS VR release? 

I know it's expected as tech gets better, but it sucks because I feel like I'm left behind if I adopt a device now rather than later. I want to get a Meta Quest 2, but by the time I do, I'm sure the Meta Quest 3 will be out and will be a vastly better device. Plus support for the Meta quest 1 is expected to end soon, so what happens then with those headsets? Will we still be able to play future games? Or are we kinda forced then to upgrade? 

But, I suppose it makes sense with the way consoles release. I imagine VR headsets get around 3-5 years of life out of them before they become kind of obsolete. But maybe VR headsets require upgrades sooner. One of these days I'll actually own one and can judge how long I get to use it before the next best headset drops. 

If you wait for the Oculus 3 to come out, then it will be expensive and if you wait for the price to go down, then the Oculus 4 will come out, and so on. That's a hard decision because you don't know when they will stop services for the Oculus 2. They aren't practicing a good model for consumerism. Buy at your own risk. If you can afford it, buying the Oculus 3 may be the better choice. It might have a graphical upgrade and new features and you won't have to worry about services being shut down any time soon. But that is the whole point of their strategy and it works. Or get something else and stick your middle finger to Meta. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

If you wait for the Oculus 3 to come out, then it will be expensive and if you wait for the price to go down, then the Oculus 4 will come out, and so on. That's a hard decision because you don't know when they will stop services for the Oculus 2. They aren't practicing a good model for consumerism. Buy at your own risk. If you can afford it, buying the Oculus 3 may be the better choice. It might have a graphical upgrade and new features and you won't have to worry about services being shut down any time soon. But that is the whole point of their strategy and it works. Or get something else and stick your middle finger to Meta. 

Yeah it's the nature of gaming, new devices come out very often, that it can sometimes become overbearing. "Oh, this device I just got is already dated, great, that's awesome!"

I saw they have another VR headset called Meta Quest Pro, that's currently going for $999.99 on their website. It used to be priced at $1,499.99. 

If I could afford to get a more suped up VR headset, I would. But I might only be able to afford a Meta Quest 2 or 3 whenever it comes out. 

On 3/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, Empire said:

Like anything else you look after your gear it will last, till the hardware firmware gets to old and or no more support. should last at least 5 years. I myself waiting to own my first. 

Not currently - most modern VR headsets are out of support by 3 years. And even before they officially end support, they'll only be handing out occasional patches.