Register Now
Kane99

What was it like seeing people play video games for the first time?

We all know what went through our minds when we all were introduced to video games, but has there ever been a time where you got to experience someone elses first experience with a video game? Maybe it's your child, or someone you're dating, or maybe a family member who was never into video games finally taking their first stab at it. 

Anyway, what was it like to experience video games through someone else? For me, seeing my nephew get into video games has been a joy. Mainly because we can game together, but to see from his side how he got into gaming, was cool, because it kinda brings me back to my childhood when I first started gaming. 

What about you?

It was my little cousin playing Grand Turismo for the first time on the PS2 back when I was a teen. At the time, I think he was 5 or 6? but the absolute look of joy on his face when he won his first race made me feel like a proud father.

Not really in hance yet I watched a lot of let's plays too. I really enjoyed it but I stopped doong that now. It seemed to big of a time consumer to me. Doesn't mean that I don't still watch too many hours of netflix and youtube. But it helps if you aren't basically obligated to watch it everyday. I mean if you miss two days of let's play you are watching then you have to invest the whole saturday to catch up. I didn't want that anymore. I also try to read more now. The trick is to just do it 😉 really then again

On 3/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, killamch89 said:

It was my little cousin playing Grand Turismo for the first time on the PS2 back when I was a teen. At the time, I think he was 5 or 6? but the absolute look of joy on his face when he won his first race made me feel like a proud father.

It's so cool seeing one of the little ones get their first win in a video game. It was fun getting my nephew into games, because I think he started with Roblox himself, but we got him on NES, SNES games, stuff like that. I hope to one day become a father and steer my kids into gaming too. :D 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Not really in hance yet I watched a lot of let's plays too. I really enjoyed it but I stopped doong that now. It seemed to big of a time consumer to me. Doesn't mean that I don't still watch too many hours of netflix and youtube. But it helps if you aren't basically obligated to watch it everyday. I mean if you miss two days of let's play you are watching then you have to invest the whole saturday to catch up. I didn't want that anymore. I also try to read more now. The trick is to just do it 😉 really then again

I think you're confusing the topic. The topic is about seeing people you personally know, playing video games for the first time. So in person, together. Not watching a lets play of it. Though I'm sure a recording of it counts. 

But it's more of the experience seeing someone you know, play video games for the first time. 

It was my kids that I experienced playing a video game for the first time. Namely Toy Story 3 was the game they first started playing and they had a lot of fun with it. Seeing their faces light up when they completed tasks or when they completed missions was really nice to see. As they got older, Fortnite was the one I also loved seeing them play for the first time. Nothing beats that first win you get on Fortnite when you start playing and the joy on any kids face when they do it is amazing! 

4 hours ago, Shortie said:

It was my kids that I experienced playing a video game for the first time. Namely Toy Story 3 was the game they first started playing and they had a lot of fun with it. Seeing their faces light up when they completed tasks or when they completed missions was really nice to see. As they got older, Fortnite was the one I also loved seeing them play for the first time. Nothing beats that first win you get on Fortnite when you start playing and the joy on any kids face when they do it is amazing! 

When I have kids, I plan to slowly get them into video games. I had the idea of getting them started with the early consoles first like; NES, SNES, Genesis, older pc, etc. And then eventually show them to the games to follow. 

I think it'd be fun to show them the start, just so they know where gaming started, or sort of began or was popularized. 

Seeing my nephew playing video games for the first time, where he knew what to do, was a joy to see. Seeing him do better in some games was even cooler. He kills at Portal and Portal 2, and is a huge fan of the Half life series already, and has beat those games over and over now. I wish I could get into the Half Life series like him haha. 

On 3/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, Kane99 said:

It's so cool seeing one of the little ones get their first win in a video game. It was fun getting my nephew into games, because I think he started with Roblox himself, but we got him on NES, SNES games, stuff like that. I hope to one day become a father and steer my kids into gaming too. :D 

Same here - my kids would likely get into gaming as I'd show them the ropes just like my dad did when I was three years old.

I don't really have any fond memories of it. When I was a kid I tried to get my parents into video games so we could play together. They'd act interested for maybe a half hour and then go off to do something else. All I took away from it was that they didn't really care about anything I was into, so I gave up on it. Now that I'm older, everyone I meet already plays video games, so there's no need to teach them.

I do plan on teaching my own kids whenever I have them. I'll start them off with an SNK micro-console or one of those Chinese rom boxes so they gain an appreciation for good 2D gaming, then when they're older I'll get them an Xbox 360 or PS3 so they can play some of the earlier (and better) open-world stuff. I'm never getting them anything curren-gen, though. If they want a current-gen system so they can play the latest multiplayer hyper-monetized lootbox fest, they can get jobs and buy it with their own money.

It's always exciting to witness someone's first experience with video games. Whether it's a friend, partner, or a family member, it's a thrill to share the joy of gaming with them. Seeing their enthusiasm and witnessing the nostalgia of my own gaming beginnings is a special and heartwarming experience.

When I was in school, a game competition was organized for fun. Everyone was so surprised when the school principal picked a controller and played a racing game with another student. He was not exactly a novice, his skills showed that he plays it often. 
We were all surprised and excited at the same time. I guess that’s the kind of feeling it emanates. 

Seeing them play for the first time will go one way: Either, their face will light up with joy and laughter or you will physically see they are not enjoying it but trying to get into it. Even if it’s the later these things require more time.

If you're not the kind of person who doesn't like being involved with how another person plays his or her video games, I don't think such a person would even care to know how the newbie gamer is enjoying his stride in the game. For me, it's something that I enjoyed so much because I always like helping others get better. It brings so much excitement in me seeing them get good with the game and start enjoying themselves too.