Register Now
Kane99

Buying used consoles that come back banned/suspended

So I read an article recently about someone who got a Switch OLED model, had it for a while and then his account got banned for "Fraudulent Activities". But, the reason for the ban was for something that happened before he owned the console. He spoke with Nintendo about it and showed proof that he purchased it used from a company that is a certified reseller. So it seems this guy got a console that was a ticking time bomb. The console was then banned from being used online. The kicker though, is that he transferred all of his safe files to said console and in order to get the files back, he needs to be connected to the web. 

Sadly, this is something we all need to consider when buying a used console. Because a ban could take affect at any moment after the fact. This is why I tend not to buy refurbished consoles too much, because there is always a risk it was used to cheat, hack, or they broke other TOS. 

This is the article I read: 

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-buying-used-risk/?newsletter_popup=1

But yeah, this is nothing new. Just wanted to spread a bit more awareness about the risks with buying used, especially from Ebay and other sites. There's always that risk. 

5 hours ago, Empire said:

I mean how even that works if you try and formate and try and add another account to the system. there are ways to reslove it if you watch YouTube

There was no way to use the console online. He may be able to re-format it and all that, but the console itself would still be banned, which means it can't be used online even after formatting. The guy requested they unban the console after they found out he wasn't the one to do it, but they still kept the ban active. 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

That's a really sad situation but it goes to show that even with certified resellers, you have to do your checks and balances. I hope Nintendo understands but knowing them, they might just be like, he should've bought it brand new. 

Oh for sure, you can never be too safe when it comes to buying used consoles, especially if they can be banned and rendered unusable. That's why whenever I buy a used console in person, I ask to test it first. Just to be on the safe side. 

On 3/14/2023 at 6:14 PM, Kane99 said:

There was no way to use the console online. He may be able to re-format it and all that, but the console itself would still be banned, which means it can't be used online even after formatting. The guy requested they unban the console after they found out he wasn't the one to do it, but they still kept the ban active. 

Then people should not buy it if it's going to be sold like that 😛 I mean silly system to do...

I will admit, I am very wary when I buy used consoles and usually only go to places I know test them and check them well and so far I have never run into this issue when buying any used console. It is a shame though that you will get some sellers that will do this just for the money as they will not suffer for it, the buyer will. 

I've seen JacobR get a PS4 from Wish and the console that he received was banned. That's got to be annoying to deal with, thankfully I've never had this issue before. I also don't buy used consoles that often, the only used consoles I'll purchase are retro ones. One time I traded in my Switch Lite to a local game store, they didn't even bother factory resetting the console. In fact the person who got the console didn't even bother making their own account, since they ended up using my account to play games and watch Youtube. They even purchased a game under my account, but with their own card. I removed their card information from my account once I got my new Switch and logged out of my other console. I tried contacting Nintendo, but they didn't do much so I got a "free" copy of Cuphead. :V

On 3/24/2023 at 5:26 PM, Shortie said:

I will admit, I am very wary when I buy used consoles and usually only go to places I know test them and check them well and so far I have never run into this issue when buying any used console. It is a shame though that you will get some sellers that will do this just for the money as they will not suffer for it, the buyer will. 

Whenever, I bought used consoles, it was usually from close friends/ people who I knew good enough and could somewhat trust them.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:01 PM, killamch89 said:

Whenever, I bought used consoles, it was usually from close friends/ people who I knew good enough and could somewhat trust them.

This is probably one of the best ways to go about it. The store I used to buy used consoles from is still around now and quite well known so that is why I tend to trust them as there has never really been any complaints regarding used consoles not being good, broken or just useless. 

Hopefully must of the dealers that you purchase them from have a return policy that would allow for this, similar to how it works with cars like Carvanna where if the warranty is void they will take it back since that is a huge issue that basically makes it worth far far less.