Register Now
Kane99

The Outer World's Spacer’s Choice Edition is suffering major problems, especially on PS5

The Outer World's: Spacer's Choice Edition released recently and I guess it's suffering some problems for all versions, but especially the PS5 version of the game. It's gotten to a point where gamers are asking for refunds. It seems to be worse for the PS5 versions, almost at times being unplayable. But there are performance issues with all versions. 

Obsidian Entertainment has been apologizing to fans on social media all day about the issues, expressing they are passing the issues to the dev team to sort out. Do you think they will sort it out? Or will Sony force them to issue refunds? 

Story below: 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/03/09/the-outer-worlds-ps5-spacers-choice-edition-busted-refunds/

I had not even heard of this new version of the game. Good thing, by the sounds of it. I don't get it, how hard can it be to polish up a game then re-release it? Why do we get crap this, the GTA Trilogy , Warcraft III: Reforged and Kingdoms Amalur Re-Reckoning? It just doesn't make sense.

Edited by Shagger

On 3/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, Shagger said:

I had not even heard of this new version of the game. Good thing, by the sounds of it. I don't get it, how hard can it be to polish up a game then rerelease it? Why do we get crap this, the GTA Trilogy and Kingdoms, Warcraft III: Reforged and Amalur Re-Reckoning? It just doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense at all, especially since this game looked fairly fine to begin with. I don't even know what big changes they made aside from making it look better visually and a few other things here and there.

But I found more issues with this release according to the article below. I guess it's a completely different version of the game, so different that anything added to this version, will not work in the original game. I'll quote the article a bit below: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition-a-disappointingly-appropriate-name

The Outer Worlds Spacer's Choice Edition is considered an all-new, completely separate version of the game. That means all of the graphical, performance, and quality-of-life improvements contained within are not coming to the game's original version. You must buy the game (retailing for $60) if you want these enhancements. In this aspect, it almost feels like The Outer Worlds Remastered instead of a current-gen upgrade.

The fact it's being priced for $60, and there's no upgrade options for the original game, seems scummy to me. 

Additionally, there is absolutely no way to transfer any of your save information or progress from the original The Outer Worlds to the Spacer's Choice Edition. If you already played the game and wanted to return, either to finish it or to play the DLC expansions (the reason I was excited for the Spacer's Choice Edition), your only option is to begin anew with a fresh save.

If you love The Outer Worlds enough to upgrade to the newest version regardless, you'll need to own the original game and both DLC expansions to pay the discounted $10 for the Spacer's Choice Edition. I could justify charging for these extensive upgrades under different circumstances, but you'd still be giving up all your progress. Finally, this version of The Outer Worlds is not coming to Xbox or PC Game Pass — The original is sticking around, presumably as a more affordable alternative.

This is just dumb. There was no reason for this game to get a remaster already. And the way they're making you jump through hoops to get a discount for owning the original game is annoying as well. 

Edited by Kane99

There is no excuse for releasing the game in this state. It is poorly optimised and has either been tested and released regardless of its obvious problems to meet a deadline or budget criteria or not tested at all. Private Division and all parties involved should be utterly ashamed.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:48 AM, Empire said:

There is no excuse for releasing the game in this state. It is poorly optimised and has either been tested and released regardless of its obvious problems to meet a deadline or budget criteria or not tested at all. Private Division and all parties involved should be utterly ashamed.

I agree and just like other's here, I hadn't heard of this at all and it's probably a good thing I didn't. I always like the original Outer Worlds but it has always had its fair share of bugs just like when Obsidian used to make Fallout games.