Register Now
Kane99

Do people still subscribe to services like Gamefly?

I subscribed to Gamefly back in the mid 2010s or so, and liked what it offered. But ever since, I never bothered with the service again. I think now, with services like GamePass and what PSN Plus offers, it's going to eventually kill off GameFly and other rental services. It's still crazy to me that rental services like this still exist. Much like Netflix (who I hear still sends out DVDs). 

Anyway, does anyone here use Gamefly to play their games? Their prices for subscriptions don't look too bad, and I could see myself affording it. But with Gamepass I don't see a point, at least for me. But would anyone here still consider GameFly and other rental services? 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

I don't, then again I never have 😉 Costs are not cheap and end of the day people still get to read news and whatnot without paying/ 

The prices nowadays look pretty steep. Back in 2010s, it was way better - unfortunately, Gamefly is obsolete in the current gaming market as Xbox Gamepass among others offer way more bang for buck.

I looked through the other options they have in terms of console selection, and they still rent out games from Xbox, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and even have GBA & Gamecube listed. GBA and Gamecube dont' have anything under them, so no idea why they still have them up. 

They still have a fair deal of PS3, and 360 games. But for the price point, I don't think it's worth renting any of these older games haha. But, kinda cool they have older games you can rent still. 

I remember I used to hear about Gamefly a lot but nowadays I don't really hear as much about it anymore. You would think that if it was still as popular as it was, many people would still be talking about it as with anything that is popular at the time. 

On 3/15/2023 at 7:22 PM, Shortie said:

I remember I used to hear about Gamefly a lot but nowadays I don't really hear as much about it anymore. You would think that if it was still as popular as it was, many people would still be talking about it as with anything that is popular at the time. 

It's just how life goes, Blockbuster used to be extremely popular in the early 2000s but by 2008, they're out of business because they failed to adapt their business strategy. Evolution is inevitable and those who don't adapt always get left behind.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:44 PM, killamch89 said:

It's just how life goes, Blockbuster used to be extremely popular in the early 2000s but by 2008, they're out of business because they failed to adapt their business strategy. Evolution is inevitable and those who don't adapt always get left behind.

This is very true, you would think by how popular they were it would never happen but when things change and technology changes and how we watch things and play games, if the business in question does not end up keeping up with that and evolving with the current technology, it will in the end result in them having to close and it seems this is what happened to both Gamefly and Blockbuster.