Register Now
Kane99

How does it make you feel when modders use real retro devices in their builds?

What are your feelings on modders who mod retro consoles and games? Like those who use real parts. Like recycling the shell and carts to make ROM hacks, or to mod the console to play on newer hardware (HDMI modded in). 

How do you feel when someone donates what was once a Super Mario Bros 3 to be used as a ROM hack? I could maybe understand an old sports game, but NES sports games are popular and some are regarded as classics in their own right. 

Essentially the question is, how do you feel when someone mods a retro game, and possibly ruins its original retail value and worth? 

I personally think anything that makes old consoles function "better" is a good idea. By better, I mean more playable, compatible with more/newer displays, audio/video upgrades, region compatibility fixes, wireless controllers, etc.

What I don't like are bad cosmetic mods, like weird and poorly done case mods, spray paint, replacing good condition original parts with new crappy repros that nobody is gonna want in ten years, stuff like that.

Kinda sad from a "loss of historical value" perspective - but, I assume this would only be done on ones that currently aren't valuable anyway. (And sure, they might be valuable in 10 or 20 years... but, destruction of most of them is the process by which the remaining few become valuable in the first place 😛

And, if it makes them work better... that has to be better than them sitting unused, or being thrown out and recycled.

It is sad to see that people will mod older retro consoles and they then lose their worth but as Kyng said, if some were not losing their worth then they probably wouldn't become valuable in the first place so I suppose in a way it is a good thing people do this. 

If it's for the nostalgia effect, I understand not wanting to modify a Retro console but I don't have much of a gripe with someone wanting to mod their Retro console. I can't tell them what to do with it and if that's what makes it more enjoyable for them, I say go for it.