Register Now
Kane99

Naughty Dog's next game might not be TLOU3, and talk about TLOU Multiplayer

It's being reported that Naughty Dog's next game is in the works, but they made no mention of what the game could be. It could be the third in the series for The Last of Us, or it could be a whole new IP. 

The good news though, is that they are also hard at work on the multiplayer mode that has been making fans wait since 2020. The MP mode was supposed to drop with the second game, but never came out. Druckman himself said that they will have more to share later in the year. 

Do you think they will ever release the MP mode? Or will they end up coming out with a third game before that? 

Read more about it below: 

https://mp1st.com/news/naughty-dog-next-game-already-decided-on-by-studio-last-of-us-multiplayer-game-info-coming-later-this-year

Personally I think they should just abandon The Last of Us and Uncharted for like a whole generation. Both franchises have absolutely nowhere to go mechanically and the stories are already stretched to their breaking points.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

Personally I think they should just abandon The Last of Us and Uncharted for like a whole generation. Both franchises have absolutely nowhere to go mechanically and the stories are already stretched to their breaking points.

Whilst I agree on that with Uncharted, I don't when it comes to The Last of Us. Part II left an extension to Abby and Ellie's story wide open, so there is room, or perhaps even an obligation on Naughty Dog's part, to follow on and finish it.

The only thing stopping them is the so-called fans who simply didn't get what the second game tried to do. I reviewed it on this very website and I know as well as anyone that there were problems with how it's story was told, but the game was still good and, at least for me, achieved it's goals in respect to what the player was supposed to feel.

Edited by Shagger

On 3/14/2023 at 7:33 PM, Kane99 said:

Do you think they will ever release the MP mode? Or will they end up coming out with a third game before that?

No, I don't think TLOU2 will ever get a multiplayer update. Despite of what they claim sales for the game were hurt by to the hate campaign, that is still ongoing BTW.

Some people are so upset by the game that they still can't let it go. Just this December price for the game dropped to like $10. Normally a big title like this doesn't go so low in price just 2 years after release or ever. The initial sales of the game were still high, but it fell off a cliff after that, and remained low.

So I think ND would rather put the game behind them and focus on unrelated projects.  Their next game will be the multiplayer spinoff, but the on after that won't be a Last of Us game, is my guess.

Edited by m76

Now that the tv series has started and the 1st season has ended with news they plan on making another season; Naughty Dog will have to make a Part 3 of the game to keep up with the tv series if that keeps going too. They are intertwined now. But I'm sure they already have all that planned out. If their next game isn't TLOU3, then something new maybe? Uncharted remake? For an Uncharted tv series?????

I don't know - that multiplayer talk has been ongoing for some time now and yet nothing concrete has been forthcoming so I wouldn't sit around and wait on that. I'd wager that they either will drop a new DLC for part 2 or in a couple years time, try to remake the second game to milk the series.