Register Now
Shagger

E3 2023 is Officially Cancelled

1584092575.thumb.jpg.fd07f3431b34febaf8c023ce93edba71.jpg

After pretty much all the major players, including Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and Ubisoft already confirmed that they would not be a part of E3 2023, this comes as no real surprise. The Entertainment Software Association, the organisation behind the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) sent e-mails to it's members confirming the this years event had been cancelled because the 2023 event "simply did not garner the sustained interest necessary to execute it in a way that would showcase the size, strength, and impact of our industry." No shit. Full story  from IGN.

I think COVID hammered the final nail into E3's coffin. Not because of the events cancelled or heavily scaled back due to the restrictions (although that certainly didn't help), but because it gave publishers and console manufacturers the chance to see the benefit in just hosting thier own digital events and announcements on thier own. I really believe that this is it now and won't see E3 back.

And you know what, I'm OK with that. E3 put too much pressure on game publishers to make big announcements when the timing may not actually be ideal. I think it's better to let game companies make announcements to thier own schedule, that way it's surely less likely they'll do a "Cyberpunk 2077" and announce release dates too early to know that they can honour them. It's not like I enjoy seeing E3 collapse, but that doesn't change the fact the idea of it was archaic.

Edited by Shagger

Could have seen this coming from a mile away, E3 in recent years has been particularly underwhelming and I'm so glad that it's being shelved in its current state indefinitely. It's just turned into the gaming version of a movie festival with all these freaking trailers with little to no actual gameplay.

As much as I am going to miss E3 it was no surprise to see it finally get cancelled. It had started lacking somewhat prior to the pandemic and the pandemic really did seal it's fate this time around. Was expecting to hear that it had been cancelled way before now to be honest. 

I wonder if E3 is going to eventually come back? Probably not, seeing how the last time the event was held was in 2021 and it was online only. E3 had it's purpose when it first came out, but I feel that it's just not as cool as it once was. I remember being a teenager and always wanting to go to E3, but I just don't feel that thrilled by the event anymore. I knew once the major companies backed out it was going to be canceled. You can't have a successful event if major companies like Nintendo aren't going to be there.