Register Now
killamch89

Hacker Gary Bowser Owes Nintendo 20-30% Of His Salary For The Rest Of His Life

I'm not going to lie, this is the most messed up thing I've seen in the past few days. A simple cease and desist couldn't do? Nope -Nintendo just ruined this man's life. He's been selling hacked Nintendo Switch consoles which is against their terms of service but the punishment is quite excessive. I'm not even surprised Nintendo went this far.

I don't even see how he can be sued for that much money, $14 million, if he doesn't have it or never will. I don't know how much Bowser is worth, but I guess the court thought he could make that money up. If not, then that could be indentured servitude. It's his own fault though, but still a lot of money to pay up. 

33 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't even see how he can be sued for that much money, $14 million, if he doesn't have it or never will. I don't know how much Bowser is worth, but I guess the court thought he could make that money up. If not, then that could be indentured servitude. It's his own fault though, but still a lot of money to pay up. 

I agree - the punishment is rather excessive. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to off himself because that's a lot of money to owe a company for the rest of your life. He'll never financially recover from something like that - His life is ruined.

I will admit, the punishment for this is quite excessive and they could have probably take out a far less punishment than they did but when you look at it from Nintendo's point of view, I guess doing this means that they are showing others it will not be tolerated and that they will fire the highest punishment possible if you do break their TOS.

Feel for the guy having that much taken but at the same time, it is illegal and it was breaking their TOS.

Nintendo know damn well they'll never get the money they won from the lawsuit out of this guy, and even if they did it's an amount that means nothing to them. This was a public execution meant to send a message.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:09 PM, Shortie said:

I will admit, the punishment for this is quite excessive and they could have probably take out a far less punishment than they did but when you look at it from Nintendo's point of view, I guess doing this means that they are showing others it will not be tolerated and that they will fire the highest punishment possible if you do break their TOS.

Feel for the guy having that much taken but at the same time, it is illegal and it was breaking their TOS.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have monetized it in the first place. I'd never run this kind of risk with Nintendo knowing how uptight they are with their property.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:27 PM, killamch89 said:

Yeah, probably shouldn't have monetized it in the first place. I'd never run this kind of risk with Nintendo knowing how uptight they are with their property.

Messing with any company as big as Nintendo is something I would definitely steer clear of without even any hesitation. It's a shame they took the punishment this far as like I said, something a lot smaller would have been the better option but they went with the full wrath to prove a point, it will have definitely scared others but for this instance, that is something that is going to mean someone has to pay for the rest of their life. 

There's Nintendo being Nintendo again, I get what the guy did was illegal of course but now he's going to live in poverty because of a greedy corporation that already made enough money to make up for the amount of money he caused them to lose in the first place. This is why I hate Nintendo as a company, I love their franchises and games but the company is absolutely garbage. His punishment should have just been a few years in federal prison and that's it with maybe a one time fee at most.