Register Now
Anders

What is your biggest gaming hot take?

I want to know your most controversial opinions about games, the kind of stuff that will make your friends laugh at you and get you banned from certain groups on the internet

I'll go first. What inspired this thread was me scrolling through old posts from a few months ago here on the forum, and coming across a thread about Devil May Cry.

I actually really, really like the 2013 Devil May Cry reboot. Yes, the one with hipster Dante with the bad haircut. That one. 

I like the combat, I like the music, I even like Dante's little quips and jokes. To make matters worse, it's the only DMC game I have played that I actually enjoyed. I haven't played played many of them to be fair, but I played a bit of 3 and 5, but I didn't have nearly as much fun as I had with the reboot. I'm probably the only person on the internet that really wanted a sequel to that game.

I'll just be over here, waiting to be crucified.

I hate emulators. Emulation of any classic game makes me want to puke. This includes those flashback consoles that only ruined the games and ruined a lot of great memories. I'd like to wipe emulators off the face of the planet so that people would actually own the console and play it how it was supposed to be played.

38 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I hate emulators. Emulation of any classic game makes me want to puke. This includes those flashback consoles that only ruined the games and ruined a lot of great memories. I'd like to wipe emulators off the face of the planet so that people would actually own the console and play it how it was supposed to be played.

I understand how you feel, but playing on original hardware isn't always practical or even possible. Modern flatscreen TV's are often very difficult to hook up to older consoles and have compatibility problems. I touched on the difficulties I had with my PAL N64 before, it literally wouldn't work without a specially modified super video cable. Not to mention that older TV's and monitors as well consoles and games aren't built to last forever and will become unreliable and possible even stop functioning over time. Emulation  and digital ROM's help in game preservation and introduce new generations to older games in a way that's practical and user. Yes, crap like the flashback consoles and all those Chinese knock-off emulation machines are terrible, bet there are good ones as well that not only offer an authentic experience, but are 100% legal and great quality.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

bet there are good ones as well that not only offer an authentic experience, but are 100% legal and great quality.

I have to disagree on that. It's not truly an authentic experience when it's emulated. That's like saying that riding a roller coaster in a virtual reality machine is the same as riding the actual roller coaster. Yeah, you "rode" it, but it wasn't an "authentic" ride.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, I also love collecting and playing on original hardware, but sometimes emulators are extremely convenient. I absolutely do agree that in almost all cases, playing real, physical games on original hardware, on a CRT feels the best. For me, the exception is handhelds. Playing GBA games on something like my phone with a controller does make for a better gameplay experience than playing on my old frontlit GBA SP, or even my original GBA with no light at all. Playing PSP games on my phone with an actual analog stick also feels better than the little nubbin-stick on my original PSP. 

But let me tell you, playing PS2 games on a CRT hooked up with an RGB-scart cable? Chef's kiss *mwah*

Bethesda can't make a truly great game without their modding community's input - Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind would be average games without the modding communities. Fallout is the same - as a matter of fact, Fallout 4 is mostly a broken buggy mess without mods. As the failures of Redfall and Fallout 76 prove, without the modding community, Bethesda isn't a great developer.

On 5/9/2023 at 9:00 PM, killamch89 said:

Bethesda can't make a truly great game without their modding community's input - Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind would be average games without the modding communities. Fallout is the same - as a matter of fact, Fallout 4 is mostly a broken buggy mess without mods. As the failures of Redfall and Fallout 76 prove, without the modding community, Bethesda isn't a great developer.

Although I don't necassarily agree with you, I see what you mean. Bethesda games definitely come with a certain level of jank, but I still love the Elder Scrolls and Fallout (except 74, of course) series without mods.

I'd also like to point out that Redfall is developed by Arkane, not Bethesda. They are both subsidiaries of ZeniMax, who is owned by Microsoft. 

On topic, my gaming take that has defiantly caused the most friction is how I feel about soulboune games. I hate the lack of difficulty options, I hate the "trial and error" approach to the the challenge these games tend to employ, I hate what I've observed from them as a storytelling experience (although I admit what I have experienced in that regard is limited), I hate the fact you can't pause (I mean that is really stupid) and the community surrounding these games is toxic and entitled with a level of arrogance well beyond what they deserve to have.

If you like these types of games, good for you, but I just can't stand them.

Edited by Shagger

On 5/13/2023 at 7:03 PM, Shagger said:

On topic, my gaming take that has defiantly caused the most friction is how I feel about soulboune games. I have the lack of difficulty options, I hate the "trial and error" approach to the the challenge these games tend to employ, I have what I've observed from them as a storytelling experience (although I admit what I have experienced in that regard is limited), I hate the fact you can't pause (I mean that is really stupid) and the community surrounding these games is toxic and entitled with a level of arrogance well beyond what they deserve to have.

If you like these types of games, good for you, but I just can't stand them.

I absolutely agree. The only soulsborn game I've spent any siginicant amount of time with is Elden Ring, and although I did enjoy what I played of it, I definitely think it's way overrated. I mean, I do see why people think it's a good game, but people talk about it like it's the second coming of Jesus and the best game that's ever been made. 

Most of the time I played it was spent doing the same things over and over again to farm XP, just so I could level up enough to not die in two hits. The game does not explain anything at all to you, so you have to look up what pretty much every item you pick up does. I won't comment to much on the story, but as far as I got, there wasn't much story to be had.

I've never been a fan of extreme difficulty in games. I'm fine with a bit of a challenge, but having to replay the same boss fight 20-30 times is just excruciating to me. Whenever I try saying that to a soulsborn fan however, the answer is always the same:

"Git gud"

4 minutes ago, Anders said:

I absolutely agree. The only soulsborn game I've spent any siginicant amount of time with is Elden Ring, and although I did enjoy what I played of it, I definitely think it's way overrated. I mean, I do see why people think it's a good game, but people talk about it like it's the second coming of Jesus and the best game that's ever been made. 

Most of the time I played it was spent doing the same things over and over again to farm XP, just so I could level up enough to not die in two hits. The game does not explain anything at all to you, so you have to look up what pretty much every item you pick up does. I won't comment to much on the story, but as far as I got, there wasn't much story to be had.

I've never been a fan of extreme difficulty in games. I'm fine with a bit of a challenge, but having to replay the same boss fight 20-30 times is just excruciating to me. Whenever I try saying that to a soulsborn fan however, the answer is always the same:

"Git gud"

Music to my ears. It's not as if people like us don't like challenging games, it's that these games get it all wrong. Glad to know somebody gets it. 

On 5/10/2023 at 4:27 PM, Anders said:

Although I don't necassarily agree with you, I see what you mean. Bethesda games definitely come with a certain level of jank, but I still love the Elder Scrolls and Fallout (except 74, of course) series without mods.

I'd also like to point out that Redfall is developed by Arkane, not Bethesda. They are both subsidiaries of ZeniMax, who is owned by Microsoft. 

I love Fallout And Elder Scrolls too but honestly, it feels like they get away without much criticism from most fans of both games. The thing that grinds my gears with Elder Scrolls right now is that ESO which is worked on by Zenimax as well is basically retconning a lot of things established in the main franchise to make it "lore-friendly".

I feel like this might be a hot take, but I really love Cyberpunk 2077. Sure, it had it's share of issues when it first launch, but I still really liked it. That was however on a PC that was not well equipped to run the game, but when I played it again on the PS5 I loved every second. I love the world, the lore, the characters, the gameplay, basically everything. It's also the only game where a love interest storyline has genuinely made me feel something. 

I'll just copy paste an entire thread I wrote about a game a while back

Hot take: Ghostrunner is the greatest game of all time

- Follows a traditional linear level based encounter to encounter format(like DMC for example) without frequent forced slow walking which is a rarity in modern games

- Game systems are very straightforward. Combat mostly boils down to dodge, jump, slash, dash, air dash, use your power making it easy to get into whilst simultaneously having a VERY high skill ceiling. Customising your perks is pretty simple, you just place upgrade tetris blocks" into this box and the amount of upgrades you can have are limited by how much space is left to fit in new blocks.

- No live service bullshit, the only DLC released is project HEL and a few skins for the sword but that's about it

- Unique, satisfying combat which constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat like no other game. You die in one hit whilst having to dodge lasers and enemies everywhere in high speed action. Like DOOM eternal but you can't shoot(which makes it even more high risk and intense).

- Varied and challenging enemy design

- Level design is very engaging and stage gimmicks(like slow down or shuriken power ups) are implemented in fun ways which require precise timing and spice things up but aren't overdone to the point of exhaustion.

- Movement is incredibly fun where you grapple, slide, wall run everywhere at high speeds.

- Speaking of which, wall running exists and has no limitations. You can wall run on pretty much anything. In fact the game was BUILT around speedrunners doing crazy skips/sequence breaks with wall running.

- You instantly respawn after death which keeps you constantly in the action

- Killer synthwave soundtrack

- Cool cyberpunk authoritarian dystopia aesthetic/setting

- No cutscenes that break the flow of the game but instead exposition and dialogue happens as you explore through each level

- Engaging storyline where you are thrown in the middle of a rebel coup as a cyborg who has just been woken up and gradually learn more and more about what's going on and how things became the way they are in the dystopia.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:38 PM, Anders said:

I feel like this might be a hot take, but I really love Cyberpunk 2077. Sure, it had it's share of issues when it first launch, but I still really liked it. That was however on a PC that was not well equipped to run the game, but when I played it again on the PS5 I loved every second. I love the world, the lore, the characters, the gameplay, basically everything. It's also the only game where a love interest storyline has genuinely made me feel something. 

I totally agree with you! Cyberpunk 2077 has its fair share of issues, but I also loved the game overall. The world, lore, characters, and gameplay are all fantastic. And you're right, the love interest storyline felt so genuine and emotionally engaging. Playing it on a well-equipped PS5 definitely enhanced the experience. It's a remarkable game that left a lasting impression on me too! 🎮💙

6 minutes ago, Hainced said:

I totally agree with you! Cyberpunk 2077 has its fair share of issues, but I also loved the game overall. The world, lore, characters, and gameplay are all fantastic. And you're right, the love interest storyline felt so genuine and emotionally engaging. Playing it on a well-equipped PS5 definitely enhanced the experience. It's a remarkable game that left a lasting impression on me too! 🎮💙

I'm on the fence about CP2077. I see so many ranting about the game, then almost as many raving about the game. I would say it's not my kind of game, but I also said that about westerns prior to playing RDR2. It's a well known fact around here that I'm obsessed with the game and at this point have an encyclopedic knowledge on RDR2.

That said, from the videos I've watched on YouTube, it does look like a fun game, and could possibly expand my interests even further than they already are, the same way RDR2 did. I have yet to buy any games of that genre, but I no longer say a game isn't for me without playing it. With the exception of online gaming, but that's for another discussion.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Hope to see you around!