Register Now
The Blackangel

10 Games That KILLED The WHOLE Franchise

It's always awful to have that one game that ends up resulting in the end of a franchise, especially when you really enjoyed the games and the franchise. 

If you really enjoy a game you want it to continue releasing more games in that franchise and a lot of the time, it's like the developers no longer want to continue the franchise and not that it just was not popular. 

To those picks, I would add RollerCoaster Tycoon World. It looked awesome... but it was a bug-filled mess that completely killed the RCT main series. Its niche is now occupied by the likes of Planet Coaster and Parkitect.

Since then, a few more games have been released under the RCT brand: there was RCT Classic (a re-master of the first two games), and several crummy mobile apps. However, these are all spin-offs or re-releases of old content, so I don't think any of them can really be classified as "continuing the franchise". There hasn't been a game in the main series since RCT World, and it looks unlikely that there ever will be.

Edited by Kyng

In my opinion, Driv3r wasn't even that bad - compared to like Dead Rising 4 that was a literal carbon copy of the prior games with no real innovation or Ninja Gaiden 3 that was terrible. I don't even think Saints Row 2022 killed the franchise as it had been dead long before that. The newer Medal of Honor games weren't bad either although to be fair, they felt very generic by that point.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:19 PM, Shagger said:

Surprised to not see Burnout Paradise make the list. That game not only Killed Burnout, but pretty much the arcade racer as a genre. I hate that game.

Wow, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone talk shit about Burnout Paradise before. I really liked that game personally, and it was pretty well recieved critically as well. The original is sitting at 88 on Metacritic. My personal favorite of the franchise is Burnout Legends on the PSP, played the shit out of that game back in the day. 

4 hours ago, Anders said:

Wow, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone talk shit about Burnout Paradise before. I really liked that game personally, and it was pretty well recieved critically as well. The original is sitting at 88 on Metacritic. My personal favorite of the franchise is Burnout Legends on the PSP, played the shit out of that game back in the day. 

With all due respect to people who like that game, they don't know any better. They don't know what an arcade racer and a proper Burnout game is supposed to feel like. I (and others) have spoken about this great franchise and that travesty Burnout Paradise before on these boards. Check out this thread for example.

How comes nobody ever brings up Metal Gear Survive? You know why? Because most of the MGS community pretends like it didn't exist (myself included). If you wanted to know what "black sheep of the family" means, look no further. I'm looking forward to the MGS3 Remake but I just hope that Konami doesn't screw that up.