Register Now
The Blackangel

Top 20 Worst Video Game Consoles

I've heard lots of negative feedback regarding Virtual Boy so that isn't much of a surprise. Wait? Panasonic had a console? It was bound to flop. To be honest, it's the first I'm hearing of a good number of these and they seem awful!

On 5/17/2023 at 9:54 PM, killamch89 said:

I've heard lots of negative feedback regarding Virtual Boy so that isn't much of a surprise. Wait? Panasonic had a console? It was bound to flop. To be honest, it's the first I'm hearing of a good number of these and they seem awful!

Technically, the 3DO wasn't their console. The 3DO was an unusual video game console in that it wasn't manufactured by a first party. Panasonic were just one of several companies who were contracted by the 3DO Company to make the console. The others being GoldStar (Now known as LG) and Sanyo with Creative Technologies being responsible for the peripherals and many of the components inside. This meant there were several different versions of the console with different hardware branding, but there were all made to similar specifications. The 3DO Company itself founded by the founder of Electronic Arts Trip Hawkins and it was his company that was responsible for and would profit from software distribution, like a game publisher. The various companies that actually made the system would only see thier cut from the single hardware sale. In a way, the 3DO today looks less like a gaming console and more like a purpose built gaming PC, perhaps like one of those Steam Machines that were about a few years ago.

And that was whare the real problems with the 3DO started. The fact the console had some advanced tech' for the time and that the manufacturers had to profit from the hardware sale is what made the system so expensive. It did have stand out graphics and some great ports of games like Wing Commander 3 that included almost DVD quality FMV, but it wasn't worth the price compared to it's rivals. A shame because I actually think it was a good system.

Edited by Shagger

On 5/19/2023 at 1:01 PM, Shagger said:

Technically, the 3DO wasn't their console. The 3DO was an unusual video game console in that it wasn't manufactured by a first party. Panasonic were just one of several companies who were contracted by the 3DO Company to make the console. The others being GoldStar (Now known as LG) and Sanyo with Creative Technologies being responsible for the peripherals and many of the components inside. This meant there were several different versions of the console with different hardware branding, but there were all made to similar specifications. The 3DO Company itself founded by the founder of Electronic Arts Trip Hawkins and it was his company that was responsible for and would profit from software distribution, like a game publisher. The various companies that actually made the system would only see thier cut from the single hardware sale. In a way, the 3DO today looks less like a gaming console and more like a purpose built gaming PC, perhaps like one of those Steam Machines that were about a few years ago.

And that was whare the real problems with the 3DO started. The fact the console had some advanced tech' for the time and that the manufacturers had to profit from the hardware sale is what made the system so expensive. It did have stand out graphics and some great ports of games like Wing Commander 3 that included almost DVD quality FMV, but it wasn't worth the price compared to it's rivals. A shame because I actually think it was a good system.

Oh okay - I didn't know much about it. Thanks for the info.

There are a lot of consoles here that I can honestly say I have never heard of which would explain whether they were either not popular or why they were the worst consoles. 

I remember the commodore 64, the Atari and the Virtual Boy and I also knew about Ouya but that is about it, the rest are all new to me. 

I never actually heard of a few of these consoles before such as the RCA Studio 2! I never knew RCA dipped their toes in the video game industry. Nor have I ever heard of the Virtual Light Machine or Ganken Compact Vision before. I wanted the N-Gage so bad when I was a teenager, I thought the concept of a phone/game handheld hybrid was cool but I'm so glad I never got one. I think the only game I was interested on it was Sonic N and it's just a bad port of Sonic Advance. I still want a Gamecom just so I can own Sonic Jam since I want every single Sonic game I can get my hands on, even though the game is absolutely garbage.

On 8/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, The Blackangel said:

I'm watching this video again, and something caught my eye.

What does this look like to everyone else.........?

dick.jpg

When I look at the part of the image you have circled, I see what looks like a character on the bottom, I want to say Mario but not too sure. 

Curious to see what others see in that part of the image though.