Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What is this new hype about AI (Artificial Intelligence) taking over?

I keep coming across all sorts of articles about a new hype of AI taking over. And this hype is coming from prominent tech leaders as well as politicians. There is even new efforts to beef up our national security to increase our own AI for security as well as combat the threats of China's AI advancements. What the hell is going on here? Can someone explain please? Do we really have a worldwide threat of AI taking over in the near future? This isn't comic book stuff. This is the real talk of the town now from world leaders and tech giants. What's the catch? Are they trying to sell something? Sell fear maybe? Promote new tech initiatives? Are we entering a new wave of a violation of privacy rights? Are tech giants just looking for government funds? What is the hype? 

I don't AI is quite as scary nor threatening as you fear it is, but how much more sophisticated is has gotten over the last year or so is quite alarming. Most of the concern about it revolves around how it is affecting the realms of creative media, like with AI artwork. There are programs out there that can generate artwork completely on thier own with only a few words and themes inputted to guide it. There is even now an AI metal band publishing music on YouTube called Frostbite Orckings. This is NOT a prograM remixing sounds and songs from other bands, it's an AI that's been taught how to play these instruments, been told the basics about how song structure works, given a limited theme and style to work within, and these are the entirely original works it has come up with.

There is no human input into this. The music, and video with all the designs were all done by an AI. As I said, humans had to "teach" the AI how to play the instruments and the basics of character design and video direction etc, but the creativity is all from an AI. Quite remarkable.

And this is what's possible now, I can't blame anyone for being frightened by what AI might be capable of a few years down the road. Still, I still think that it's human malice and human error that would be the real threat with AI, and that is something we know how to deal with.

Despite the media hype, doing my own personal research and using it personally, it'll take 2-3 more years before AI can really start having an impact on most industries. Ai is useful but in no way is it as scary as the media tries to portray in its current form.

It is a worry that many years down the line, AI could have the potential to take over jobs that humans are now doing to earn a living and that may cause an issue when that is possible. 

How long it is going to take for AI to become that developed though, humans have the chance to stay ahead of AI to lower the risk of losing their jobs to AI. 

The government will of course use it to scaremonger and some will believe it but if you do your own research, you will realize that there is nothing to worry about at least for now.