Register Now
killamch89

The Pros And Cons Of Owning Certain Animals As Pets

First we start with dogs:

Pros: 1) They're probably the most affectionate animal you can get as a pet. 2) They'll typically defend you even if they're normally a cowardly dog. 3) Some of the bizarre habits they have cracks you up. 4) Dogs are extremely loyal and typically want to follow you everywhere.

Cons: 1) They're constantly digging up the yard. I swear you could fake a moon landing in my yard. 2) Their curiosity gets the best of them, they get themselves entangled somewhere and then they have this look like: "well, aren't you going to get me out of this?" 3) They're always hungry and act like you haven't fed them in years when in fact it was like a minute ago. 4) They're a pain to deal with during mating season.

Cats

Pros: 1) Depending on the cat, they can be extremely affectionate and they'll defend their favorite human to the death. 2) Cats are highly intelligent and more independent so they won't tend to bother you as much as dogs most of the time. 3) Cats usually bring you presents in the form of mice or other small animals they caught.

Cons: 1) If you aren't their favorite human, they tend to be meaner to you. 2) They can be quite demanding. 3) They have tendency to mess with almost anything and find themselves getting hurt because of their curiosity and mischievous nature. 4) They're very possessive so if they smell the scent of another cat on your garments, they'll tend to be mean to you for a time.

What are the pros and cons of having certain animals and pets in your opinion? Do you agree with my list or did you feel as if I omitted some things? Please share below.

Let's start with a few of mine.

Rats-
PROS-
1) They are extremely playful.
2) They love to explore.
3) They're affectionate as hell.
4) They're cute as hell.
5) Rats are one of the most loyal animals in the world.

CONS-
1) They have an extremely short life span.
2) They bite often if they don't know a person.
3) They're masterful escape artists. Houdini has nothing on a rat.
4) Despite what many will tell you, they're incredibly high maintenance.
5) Rat food isn't cheap.

Birds-
PROS-
1) They're playful.
2) They're beautiful.
3) They love to cuddle.
4) They have wider personalities than any other animal.
5) They have the intelligence level equal to that of a 3 year old.

CONS-
1) They're expensive.
2) They tend to bond with only one person.
3) They're extremely high maintenance.
4) They have the intelligence level equal to that of a 3 year old.
5) They are often mean as hell to the people they didn't choose to bond with.
6) They require lots of stimulation for their mental health.
7) Their supplies are extremely expensive. Cages for a macaw tend to run close to $1000.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, The Blackangel said:

Let's start with a few of mine.

Rats-
PROS-
1) They are extremely playful.
2) They love to explore.
3) They're affectionate as hell.
4) They're cute as hell.
5) Rats are one of the most loyal animals in the world.

CONS-
1) They have an extremely short life span.
2) They bite often if they don't know a person.
3) They're masterful escape artists. Houdini has nothing on a rat.
4) Despite what many will tell you, they're incredibly high maintenance.
5) Rat food isn't cheap.

Birds-
PROS-
1) They're playful.
2) They're beautiful.
3) They love to cuddle.
4) They have wider personalities than any other animal.
5) They have the intelligence level equal to that of a 3 year old.

CONS-
1) They're expensive.
2) They tend to bond with only one person.
3) They're extremely high maintenance.
4) They have the intelligence level equal to that of a 3 year old.
5) They are often mean as hell to the people they didn't choose to bond with.
6) They require lots of stimulation for their mental health.
7) Their supplies are extremely expensive. Cages for a macaw tend to run close to $1000.

I think that goes for a lot of animals to be fair - birds are really high maintenances which I agree with and I know rats can contort their body through the tiniest of crevices.

On 6/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, The Blackangel said:

A full grown rat can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter.

I've been contemplating getting a Guinea Pig but I want to start travelling a lot more and they tend to need lots of attention and are usually really attached to their owners.

The worst thing about Guinea Pigs is that they're cowards. They will run like hell when you try to handle them. It takes a hell of a lot of work to get them to trust you. Once they do, they will want to be around you constantly. They will love you like crazy, but can get annoying with it. So be ready to have an obsessed lover. I know rats are like that, as are hedgehogs. Once they warm up to you, they love you like crazy.

I was going to post some pros and cons about rats, but it appears that's already been done. But, I'd just like to point out that most of society's views of rats are very deceiving. Most people think rats are ugly, mischievous, infectious creatures, but there's a big difference between a rat you find in the sewer and a domesticated rat you buy at a pet store. They are, in fact, very cute, lovable creatures that will sit calmly on your shoulder or the palm of your hand. Certain happenings in society gave rats a bad name, I think, but domesticated rats have made some of the best pets I ever had!

Yes rats are mischievous as hell. But that's part of their appeal. Coincidentally enough (and appropriately) a group of rats is called a Mischief. I've had and raised rats since I was a teenager. The first two I ever had was an albino female named Ghost, and a solid black male named Daemon. Ghost wasn't particularly friendly, but Daemon was friendly as hell. And smarter than a lot of people I knew. I've written an article about rats as a guide for anyone wanting to get any as pets. Wild rats get a bad rep due to the black plague. They carried the fleas that spread the disease so far and wide. So now people look at them as vermin. But when a wild rat saved your life, they tend to become sacred.

I would have to start with Cats

Pros:

They are dedicated to their owner
They can bring comfort
They are easy to take care of as they tend to do most of the care themselves, we just have to worry about treating them for fleas and worms, feeding them and ensuring they are healthy
You don't have to take them on walks as they tend to do this themselves unless you choose to as an owner

Cons:

They can be quite expensive especially if they are fussy with the kind of food they eat
It can be difficult to bathe them if needed with their fear of water unless they do not mind it
Vet bills can be expensive

On 12/14/2023 at 3:55 PM, Shortie said:

I would have to start with Cats

Pros:

They are dedicated to their owner
They can bring comfort
They are easy to take care of as they tend to do most of the care themselves, we just have to worry about treating them for fleas and worms, feeding them and ensuring they are healthy
You don't have to take them on walks as they tend to do this themselves unless you choose to as an owner

Cons:

They can be quite expensive especially if they are fussy with the kind of food they eat
It can be difficult to bathe them if needed with their fear of water unless they do not mind it
Vet bills can be expensive

You left off one con:
They are actively plotting our deaths. You may think the devil is evil, but even he is afraid of cats.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

You left off one con:
They are actively plotting our deaths. You may think the devil is evil, but even he is afraid of cats.

I can not believe I forgot that! LOL

I always say when they look at us in a certain way "They are plotting our demise" LOL 

We don't own the cat, they own us, or so they think! 🤣