Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do You Prefer Open World or Linear Game Formats?

I’ve seen plenty of debates over the merits and drawbacks of open world and linear game formats. I was wondering what you guys and gals prefer?

For my part, I lean toward open world games because I like the freedom to follow my curiosity, explore, discover surprises, and transport myself to a different world. It’s relaxing, and the perfect way to unwind before bedtime each night.

That being said, it seems a lot harder to craft a compelling narrative within an open world format. To construct a large universe with open possibilities, developers are forced to spread their efforts pretty thin. The result is a lot of loose ends, plot threads that can never be pursued, and so on. So it’s harder for me to become emotionally invested, and when I do, I often end up disappointed when I realize I can’t pursue any sort of closure for a particular story or character.

So I think for me the answer is, “It depends on what I’m trying to experience,” but still narrowly leaning toward open world games.

I believe that linear games are destined for people that just want to finish the story. I prefer open-world games even though I tend to be lost in them. Needlessly big maps with no density are a pain though and I usually drop those. 

I feel that the silver lining is somewhere between a 10-15 hours of story alone, spread in an open world with side activities, no more than that though. Something like God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn. The only game that can turn the tide is the next Elder Scrolls :D Cant wait!

I hate open world games with nothing in them, or if they are filled to the brim with fetch quests. Those open worlds are boring, terrible and just a waste of my time in my opinion. I like my games to have merit, and while not everything needs to add a significant amount of story, if it doesn't add anything to the game apart from wasting some more time to get some more EXP then I consider it a waste and not necessary for it to be included in the game.

That said, I actually do prefer open world over linear as long as it's done right. Only a few games have managed to do that, in my opinion. The Witcher 3 being one of them.

To be honest I think that I prefer more the open world games. Something like Grand Theft Auto V but I also like games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive and Players' Unknown Battlegrounds. Good games with a nice story are amazing too.

I normally play games that have a story mode where you have to go through this level and do this particular action because it leads to the next thing in the story.  For instance, I just recently got Captain Toad : Treasure Tracker for my Nintendo Switch. 

I do have the Harry Potter games where you can go off on different directions and collect things throughout your adventure. 

It really depends what mood I'm in tbh. Probably trite to say this, but linear games are way better at telling a story whereas open-world games give players more freedom and choice. I got a little bit of open-world fatigue over the last few years, but I definitely see the appeal. 

It really depends on the game for me. If it's a GTA, of course it's gotta be an open world game. But, if it's more of a story driven game, with not much to do in the world it's set in, then a linear game is totally fine imo. Sometimes games don't need to be massive open worlds, because in order to have that, it needs stuff to do. That's why games like Mafia 1 and 2 for example, are more linear games, because once you complete the stories, there isn't anything else do to. And that's ok, because sometimes, a game can rely on the story and gameplay alone to sell it. 

These days I prefer a mix. I like a simple game from time to time, that doesn't have a massive world to get through. But, there are games where I want exactly that, a sprawling world that you can investigate whenever you feel like it. If I had to really choose though, I'd say sandbox games, mainly because of there being a lot more to do. But, linear games have their place as well. 

It all depends on what my intentions are. If I'm just wanting to run around aimlessly, then I need something open world. Something confined, like Zelda games, is just not going to cut it. The NPC's are always in the exact same spot, doing the exact same thing. Give me RDR2. NPC's everywhere doing things as if they were being controlled by other gamers, in an open world, with unlimited possibilities.

But then if I want a game where there is a direct objective, again Zelda, then I pop in those games. That's not an issue for me.

It all depends on my mood.