Register Now
StaceyPowers

First Person vs. Third Person

How does everyone here feel about first person versus third person gaming?

For most of my life, first person gaming was pretty much what I was used to. Maybe that’s because I’ve leaned heavily toward FPS games. In any case, I’ve always found it comfortable, intuitive, and immersive.

Then I finally got a PS3 (after years of playing nothing but my super old PC games), and I discovered that the vast majority of new games are in third person. Ugh.

In fact, I’d even go so far as to say one of the reasons I play Bethesda’s open world games so addictively is because they can be played in first person.

Third person gaming not only makes me feel emotionally removed from the action, but whenever I turn, it feels like the world is “spinning” around me in a dizzying way. During combat, I struggle to remain oriented and see what’s going on.

I read an explanation once which asserted that some games are in third person because the developers want you to stay a little detached, so that you can feel more comfortable carrying out tasks you might not otherwise. The third person vantage point is a reminder that the character’s motives are driving the action.

That does make sense to me. That fits for example with The Last of Us, where all the decisions are Joel’s to make, not the player’s.

Then again, The Last of Us also handled third person much better than a lot of other games I’ve played. In combat and while sneaking around obstacles, the camera angle would be close enough to Joel’s actual vantage that I’d sometimes forget I wasn’t playing in first person. As a result, combat was easier and more immersive.

I still have a strong preference for first person, but I don’t think third person is going to stop dominating gaming anytime soon. What do you all think?

I completely agree with you. Games in first person are way more comfortable and easier to control. And I get what u mean by saying that it seems as the world is spinning around u. I hate that sometimes. I feel that games should have a option to choose which point you'd like to play from. 

I'm the opposite, I can't stand first person. I hate feeling like I have no peripheral vision and not knowing what is behind me. I find having the camera shake up and down when you walk to be distracting and annoying. I also like looking at my character, especially if I've spent time setting up my appearance and gear. If a game has a selfie-cam, I'm going to be using it. B)

11 hours ago, fantanoice said:

I'm the opposite, I can't stand first person. I hate feeling like I have no peripheral vision and not knowing what is behind me. I find having the camera shake up and down when you walk to be distracting and annoying. I also like looking at my character, especially if I've spent time setting up my appearance and gear. If a game has a selfie-cam, I'm going to be using it. B)

That's why I like that in Skyrim, you can switch back and forth at will, and even circle around your character to admire your gear.

When I play competitive games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive or Call of Duty I prefer first person shooting but when I play Grand Theft Auto V I'm always on third person. It's easier for me there to aim that way.

As an MMO lover, third-person games were the best for me since I could see my character and everything he-she does. FPS is still not my cup of tea but I can appreciate its importance.

For instance, I couldn't play PUBG on TPS, FPS was essential for this game, Skyrim as well. Other those though, when given the choice, I always prefer TPS 😄

I think it really depends on the game and type of game.  For shooters I think first person is superior, it just makes more sense for that type of game and third person shooters often feel awkward and aiming can be strange.  Although, narrative driven games like The Last of Us or the Uncharted series have made third person shooting work.  For RPGs I like the choice.  Like Skyrim for example I love to be in third person when going around town and doing other things so I can see my character, but for combat I am always in first person.  For action games, games like the Arkham series or the upcoming spider-man game I think third person is the only thing that makes sense.  I have enjoyed games set-up both ways, I think the key is that it fits the game and is executed well.

I much prefer first person perspective. I feel less immersed with the character and story if I am floating observer of the action rather than a participant. (There are some exceptions to this though - playing as Batman works better when you are constantly reminded of the awesome guy you are playing.)

I also get irritated when I have to constantly peer past my character when trying to see the environment, either for the practical needs of playing the game (seeing what I am shooting at) or the aesthetic factors of being able to appreciate the view. The game Papo and Yo was an example of the latter; it had a dynamic FOV that would zoom into your character's back when you stopped to enjoy the lovely scenery. It was very irritating.

It annoys me when I can't look up at where I need to go except at the moment the game decides to take camera control away from me to show me something.

I also dislike having to control my camera. In first person, the camera is linked to where you are aiming and where you are going unless you strafe (which 99.9% of the time is what you want). In third person mode (and especially with a controller), the camera becomes yet another thing that you have to fight against; constantly having to adjust it to keep what you want to see in frame. I imagine people coming from consoles are so used to this that they don't notice any more, but as someone who grew up on the PC with Doom & Quake this is something that always seems to get in my way.

The benefits of third person view is that it better simulates peripheral vision (although it goes too far and shows you behind you too). It also makes up for the lack of awareness of your body, although games like the Thief series and Mirror's Edge show that you can still get away without this. It is also better for those games that zoom back quite a way when a more tactical view is required, but I consider that not so much a third person view as a strategic view.

Edited by Empire