Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is Single Player Gaming Going Away?

On 7/18/2018 at 1:23 PM, Alyxx said:

No. I don't think so. With games like Doom 2016 selling more copies because of its single player campaign than its tacked-on multiplayer and games like Wolfenstein II, The Last Of Us and such still doing well despite having no multiplayer at all, I don't think single player games will die out any time soon. Heck, single player games have been dominating the indie scene for a solid decade now with games like Undertale, Shovel Knight and Five Nights At Freddy's gaining extreme praise for their storytelling and gameplay despite no multiplayer.

People who say single player games are not doing well are either not doing research or just misinterpreting Call of Duty sales for people who buy the games for multiplayer only.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, Joant73 said:

I don't think so.  I think there is still a strong market for single player games.  Game like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human were very successful.  Spider-man and RDR2 are coming out later this year and look amazing. Also, Biomutant, Darksiders 3, AC Odyssey and I'm sure others I can't think of right now.  I play mostly single player and have not had any shortage.  Really the only multiplayer I do are sports games (Fifa, Madden, the Show).  Some shooters occasionally.  Also, even though Fallout 76 is multiplayer Bethesda has said that Starfield and ES6 will both be single player.  As long as the money is there to be made for strong single player experiences they will continue to get made.

We literally have The second coming of Jesus Reisdent Evil 2 Remake coming our way in a month and a few days and you make this question dude? Come on.

Single player will not go away for a long time as long as these amazing and outstanding games are coming out like God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. The Red Dead Redemption 2 story was immense and for me, it was the best game that I have ever played. The graphics, the story and the gameplay was just out of this world and no other game that I have played can come close. It's easy to see it's not dying out since single player games especially on the PS4 have been doing great.

4 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

Single player will not go away for a long time as long as these amazing and outstanding games are coming out like God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. The Red Dead Redemption 2 story was immense and for me, it was the best game that I have ever played. The graphics, the story and the gameplay was just out of this world and no other game that I have played can come close. It's easy to see it's not dying out since single player games especially on the PS4 have been doing great.

People need to stop listening to EA's marketing team lol. The number of multiplayer games that have flopped over the past year alone - especially EA titles tells you all you need to know. If anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I despise EA - I am happy to see their stock plummet so much in a year. I hope they go bankrupt - I really do.

I do think that people misinterpreted the meaning of EA's statement on singleplayer games though. They did say that they thought linear singleplayer games were not as popular anymore. They never said anything about open world singleplayer games like RDR for example. I do agree with you though, I despise EA for what they have done with FIFA. It's the main reason why I returned my copy of the game this year.

1 hour ago, DarthHazard said:

I do think that people misinterpreted the meaning of EA's statement on singleplayer games though. They did say that they thought linear singleplayer games were not as popular anymore. They never said anything about open world singleplayer games like RDR for example. I do agree with you though, I despise EA for what they have done with FIFA. It's the main reason why I returned my copy of the game this year.

I have been done with Fifa since 2016 and their Battlefield V fiasco where they called their consumers "ignorant and uneducated" trying to shove some stupid agenda down our throats when battlefield was known as a franchise for its accurate depictions of historical events. Not to mention EA ruined the Mass Effect franchise.