Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is Single Player Gaming Going Away?

I don’t think this post needs much of an intro—we all know that MMOs are a huge industry trend, and that single player games are becoming less popular. From a developer standpoint, it makes sense to focus efforts on MMOs—they can easily be monetized for long-term profits.

We’re seeing a similar trend with FPS games. Most are focused on arena-style multiplayer combat now, with less and less emphasis on single player campaigns.

So, is single player gaming going away? I don’t think it’s ever going to be extinct, but I am concerned we’re going to see relatively few AAA single player games going forward.

I actually strongly preferred multiplayer gaming for most of my life, but I’ve come to really enjoy single player games for “getting away from it all” in a pressure-free environment with zero social aspect. If they become a thing of the past, I’ll be really sad to see that.

What do y’all foresee in the future for single player gaming?

Edited by StaceyPowers

I think this is sort of silly, but then again, I'm not hip with the gaming scene.  So you're saying "single player" is going out?  Well, that's how I've always played and I'm sure millions of people do the same.  Why?  It's because it's not always so easy to find online opponents or opponents in the gaming room with you.

No. I don't think so. With games like Doom 2016 selling more copies because of its single player campaign than its tacked-on multiplayer and games like Wolfenstein II, The Last Of Us and such still doing well despite having no multiplayer at all, I don't think single player games will die out any time soon. Heck, single player games have been dominating the indie scene for a solid decade now with games like Undertale, Shovel Knight and Five Nights At Freddy's gaining extreme praise for their storytelling and gameplay despite no multiplayer.

People who say single player games are not doing well are either not doing research or just misinterpreting Call of Duty sales for people who buy the games for multiplayer only.

I don't think that single player games are going away. There are tons and tons of people who prefer single player gaming rather than multiplayer one. A game with good story or campaign can be much more successful than a competitive game. Doom is an example of that and hope there will be much more like this.

Edited by Keranov

Naw I doubt that single player games will vanish. It will always be around. I like both single player and multiplayer games. It all depends what mood I am and at least they are making games more social for people to enjoy together.

This is an interesting question. Now that I think about it, I haven't even touched a single-player game that I've enjoyed in several years! I think it's all about multiplayer these days (always has) because people just feel more entertained when talking or working with others. The only single-player games I have are on my phone for when I'm bored OTG. 

Edited by 9Online

I don't think so.  I think there is still a strong market for single player games.  Game like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human were very successful.  Spider-man and RDR2 are coming out later this year and look amazing. Also, Biomutant, Darksiders 3, AC Odyssey and I'm sure others I can't think of right now.  I play mostly single player and have not had any shortage.  Really the only multiplayer I do are sports games (Fifa, Madden, the Show).  Some shooters occasionally.  Also, even though Fallout 76 is multiplayer Bethesda has said that Starfield and ES6 will both be single player.  As long as the money is there to be made for strong single player experiences they will continue to get made.

I don't think single-player games will ever fully go away (I really hope not anyway) but online-centric games are undoubtedly the du jour. That said, this may not be the perfect analog, but when iPads and Kindles came out, everyone bought their books digitally and now people are moving back to physical books. In other words, trends ebb and flow. Sure, Fortnite and PUBG are big atm but that doesn't mean online games will be the big thing forever. Hope that makes sense!

I don't think multi-player gaming is going to be gaming history anytime soon. Hoping not anyway!  Some days of the week I have no access to internet and I still wish to game as it's what enjoy most. An Single-Player game with a excellent storyline could be more interesting than an aggressive, action-packed multi-player game. It's all about the content inside.

I do not believe we will see a complete removal of single player. I believe there is still a strong desire in the gaming world for this to still exist but I do believe that some genre's of games may have less demand. In some genre's there is more demand for an online platform and some developers have chosen to focus their energy solely on multiplayer and instead of having a half baked single player they just don't make one.

Edited by DanTheGamer