Register Now
MeowsePad

Why is PC less popular?

A lot of pre-built "gaming" PCs hurt PC gaming, because they are just crap sold by snakeoil salesman. Pre-built PCs were always a rip-off ever since I've had a PC. If you wanted a decent gaming PC and not pay and arm and leg for it, you needed to know how to build your own. And this is unthinkable to most beginners. Especially when it is non tech savvy parents buying a gaming system for their kids. So 9 out of 10 it will be a console that is ready to play oob.

PC gaming has taken a little bit of a dip lately because parts are expensive and hard to find.  The same is true of the current generation consoles but most games are still coming out on last gen so it's not stopped people from playing.  We'll probably have to wait another 6 months to a year for the market to stabilise and get a true picture of what's really happening here.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, m76 said:

A lot of pre-built "gaming" PCs hurt PC gaming, because they are just crap sold by snakeoil salesman. Pre-built PCs were always a rip-off ever since I've had a PC.

Before the pandemic I would have agreed with you but that's not necessarily the case right now.  With prices still all over the place a pre-built can be way cheaper.  I have legitimately seen full pre-built systems selling for less than the individual price of the GPU'S that are inside them!  It's THAT crazy!  Of course some are still some that are more expensive but it's pot luck right now.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, Alyxx said:

Since when was PC less popular? I get the feeling it's never been more popular than now.

But if it was less popular I would assume it's because of convenience and habits. A lot of people prefer gaming on the couch which can be difficult with a desktop PC.

Modern gamers will always prefer PC to Consoles as the graphics is much more better. The problem is the accessibility of a PC that has those features that make gaming fun.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:10 AM, skyfire said:

PC is in fact getting more popular among the game developers, gamers and also for those who don't want to waste additional money on consoles.

Exactly the point! You can use your PC for gaming while using it to handle other personal activities. Win win situation for the user.

it isn't really less popular, and as a proof, you can check online stores for PC parts, starting from 2020, it was pretty hard to get your hand on decent parts (especially CPU's), i know that miners exist, which is why the reason why parts are out of stock, but PC gaming is really popular 😛

4 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

Exactly the point! You can use your PC for gaming while using it to handle other personal activities. Win win situation for the user.

Yeah that's one point against consoles which never get to change. because if consoles start to do that, then they become the PC lol.

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah that's one point against consoles which never get to change. because if consoles start to do that, then they become the PC lol.

It is  going to be hilarious to read that one can use consoles for some computer services. I am trying to understand how that's even going to be possible. 

1 hour ago, Knight Barida said:

It is  going to be hilarious to read that one can use consoles for some computer services. I am trying to understand how that's even going to be possible. 

You can't. It is not made for that. That's why you have to use PC.

I think PC is less popular for gaming because it just costs so much money to build a PC compared to buying a console. For example you can get a console (current generation) for like $500 but a PC can easily cost $2000 to get good specs for it.

9 hours ago, Zesty said:

I think PC is less popular for gaming because it just costs so much money to build a PC compared to buying a console. For example you can get a console (current generation) for like $500 but a PC can easily cost $2000 to get good specs for it.

That's the thing, you don't need to spend that much money in order to get a PC capable of playing newer games. My current PC was only $400 and I had an old friend build it for me. This of course was before the pandemic, but it can play most games that have been released. Of course I don't get the best graphics imaginable, but it's enough for me to play most new releases. If you want to go pay $2000, sure, but there are budget options out there that can get you gaming for much cheaper. 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:10 AM, skyfire said:

PC is in fact getting more popular among the game developers, gamers and also for those who don't want to waste additional money on consoles.

Well, if you never had consoles and have a personal computer that can do the work that you like as well as give you the opportunity to play games, why not go for them?