Register Now
MeowsePad

Why is PC less popular?

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

Like I said previously, on the finance side it's "unnecessary" burden because it is one task specific. so unless your pockets are deep, the question of console vs PC doesnt come in. again medium budget PC can still do gaming and still make console "unnecessary".

But like I said, for a PC to work as a utility, it does not need to be built to the kind of specification as a gaming PC, and at far greater cost. They don't even need a GPU. So by your logic a gaming PC is just as "unnecessary" as a console as you only have one for the arbitrary reasons of entertainment, just like a console. Nobody "needs" a gaming PC for the same reason as nobody "needs" a games console. Buying a simple laptop or PC to use as a utility computer then buying a games console to play games it will still cost less money than buying a gaming PC. Your claim that a console is expensive because a PC has other uses does not hold up. PC fanboys use that argument all the time and never holds up, and I suspect that's why you ignored me. Like I said, depending on where you are taxes and/or imports can have massive effect of that in the real world (not to mention scalpers), but on base price consoles are less expensive than gaming that's just a fact. It's also a perfectly legitimate reason to want a console instead of a gaming PC. I don't understand why fans of PC gaming find that so difficult to accept. I'm a PC gamer and I'm perfectly happy to admit that.

Edited by Shagger

On 4/5/2022 at 9:49 PM, killamch89 said:

It does for all of us - there are some games that I never would've known existed if other members didn't bring it up at some point.

Very correct. It's on this forum I heard about dancing game. Till now I'm still wondering how the game will look like. 

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm actually gonna give a shout out to our very own @StaceyPowers who wrote a good article on this subject for the VGR website and it's well worth a read. Find the article HERE.

Thanks for the link; I knew she writes for VGR but I never really paid attention. I do now though. 

On 4/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, Shagger said:

Your claim that a console is expensive because a PC has other uses does not hold up.

It does hold up outside UK, US. The moment you realize some things need to be multi utility to make sense in your life that claim holds up. The moment your wallet becomes too big to afford devices regardless of price and requirement in your life, that claim does not hold up. Simple as that.

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

It does hold up outside UK, US. The moment you realize some things need to be multi utility to make sense in your life that claim holds up. The moment your wallet becomes too big to afford devices regardless of price and requirement in your life, that claim does not hold up. Simple as that.

I haven't had a laptop last longer than 4 years since the very first one I ever got way back in the mists of time. Consoles on the other hand seem to have very long lifespans. Their value over time is excellent.

It will be frustrating thou when I struggle to get a PC and it doesn't last more than four years for me. My first PS3 lasted for six years before suffering a major issue. At least, six years is noteworthy, I enjoyed the long lifespan of my PS3. I want a PC I will spend more money for to last more than four years. 

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I haven't had a laptop last longer than 4 years since the very first one I ever got way back in the mists of time. Consoles on the other hand seem to have very long lifespans. Their value over time is excellent.

To be fair, it's not like consoles are immune to breaking down. I'm on my third PS4.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

OK, if you genuinely believe you can build or buy a gaming PC with the same performance of PS5 within the budget of a PS5 and basic laptop, prove it. I'll even double the retail of a PS5 to make it $1000 because I'm feeling generous.

To set the parameters for this, we need to find a multiplatform game and know how it runs on a PS5. My first thought was AC Valhalla, but it turns out that game's performance on PS5 is rather complicated with dynamic resolutions. So I 'll go for Godfall instead, that runs at 60pfs at 4K on PS5. According to my research, the graphic quality isn't quite the equivalent of Ultra High on PC, so lets go for medium to high settings as the equivalent (source).

According to this article from RealSport101.com, the dev's of Godfall have stated that to run Godfall at 4K 60fps, you need a graphics card with at least 12GB of VRAM. Because your trying to build a PC that's the equivalent of what you get with a PS5 out the box, there will be a few rules;

• A mouse and Keyboard must be included. That is the user interface and it every bit as vital as any component. Because a A PS5 is shipped with a Dualsence controller (That serves as the user interface for a PS5) as part of the package, this is totally fair.
  • At least 850GB of high speed SSD storage, like a PS5.
  • 16GB of RAM as per the recommended specs, and will be necessary for 4K.
  • You can omit a UHD Blu-ray drive from the build if you want, but will reduce your budget by $100 as you will be building something that's equivalent to a PS5 without the disk tray.
  • An operating system. Again, it is vital and a PS5 is shipped with one, so that's fair.

I've found you a Bottleneck Calculator to help you match a suitable CPU and you will compile your list using PC Part Picker. I found this totally decent Lenovo Laptop on Laptops Direct to serve as the utility computer next to the console that in $US would work out at $200. That gives you a total budget $1200 with a disk tray or £1100 without a disk tray.

Good luck!

Edited by Shagger

On 4/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, skyfire said:

Like I said previously, on the finance side it's "unnecessary" burden because it is one task specific. so unless your pockets are deep, the question of console vs PC doesnt come in. again medium budget PC can still do gaming and still make console "unnecessary".

Medium budget PC can do gaming but may not be able to do the gaming you really love to play. Another thing to note is that your console can last much longer than your PC especially if we're talking about laptop. There's no need to be scared of battery problems, broken screen, spoilt charger etc. 

12 hours ago, Shagger said:

OK, if you genuinely believe you can build or buy a gaming PC with the same performance of PS5 within the budget of a PS5 and basic laptop, prove it. I'll even double the retail of a PS5 to make it $1000 because I'm feeling generous.

Point. But I bypassed this simply by buying ASUS TUF laptop and next jump is on MSI device which kind of still holds my point. For purebuild I assume that it would cost more but point to put here RAM for us in this side of the world is still lot cheaper along with few other items like mouse, keyboard compared to prices in US/UK. So

8 hours ago, Prof elohstar said:

Medium budget PC can do gaming but may not be able to do the gaming you really love to play. Another thing to note is that your console can last much longer than your PC especially if we're talking about laptop. There's no need to be scared of battery problems, broken screen, spoilt charger etc. 

You meant to say consoles are not likely to break, go dead and last longer compared to PC? lol... okay.

39 minutes ago, Shagger said:

You point has no weight at all unless it's cheaper to buy/build a gaming PC than it is to buy a console and a basic computer to use as a utility. So are going to meet my challenge or not? If you don't me and everyone else can only assume you're talking complete nonsense.

In previous generations PC fanboys have tried to make the argument that you can build gaming PC that is a match the current consoles for the same price for years.  It never held water back then and sure as hell won't now.

@skyfire, prove us wrong.  Just go to https://www.pcpartpicker.com/ and try assemble for a comparable PC for around same price as a PS5 or an XBox Series X.  I guarantee to you it can't be done.

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

Point. But I bypassed this simply by buying ASUS TUF laptop and next jump is on MSI device which kind of still holds my point. For purebuild I assume that it would cost more but point to put here RAM for us in this side of the world is still lot cheaper along with few other items like mouse, keyboard compared to prices in US/UK. So

You meant to say consoles are not likely to break, go dead and last longer compared to PC? lol... okay.

Very well bro. Am talking from experience. I have purchased all PlayStation series. pS1 and PS2 slim lasted very long with me. I actually gave both out after many years. I bought my PS2 in 2007-2008. I gave my PS2 out in 2018 and it was still working fine even with the disc. I have never used a laptop more than 4 years because i could no longer cope with it. 

40 minutes ago, Prof elohstar said:

Very well bro. Am talking from experience. I have purchased all PlayStation series. pS1 and PS2 slim lasted very long with me. I actually gave both out after many years. I bought my PS2 in 2007-2008. I gave my PS2 out in 2018 and it was still working fine even with the disc. I have never used a laptop more than 4 years because i could no longer cope with it. 

The thing about Laptops in particular is that they tend to get moved around allot.  So they are more likely to get damaged on that aspect than a home console or desktop PC witch tend to be stationary most of the time.

Edited by Crazycrab

7 hours ago, Prof elohstar said:

I have never used a laptop more than 4 years because i could no longer cope with it. 

So that doesn't sound like problem of laptop isn't it? Laptop can continue as long as the machines lifespan goes. especially if there is linux involved many laptops can be revived.