Register Now
MeowsePad

Why is PC less popular?

Why is PC less popular than console gaming?

I would say that PC gaming is superior to console gaming in every way. A PC is much more powerful than console, and it can thus play games much more smoothly with better graphics. PCs can also be used for far more than just gaming, so you only have to buy one machine rather than buying one machine for gaming and another for productivity.

I don't think that PC gaming is less popular than console gaming. I even think that it has bigger market share. PC games are with better graphics and as you mentioned you can do a lot more things rather than playing video games on it. I also don't like to play with a joystick so I don't think consoles are for me.

Even though PC games have better graphics and it cam be used for multiple purposes I think many like myself like the feel of the controller in our hands. Plus I keep too many valuables on my PC to use it for high volume gaming. You never know what can leak in. 

PC gaming is complicated and inaccessible for a lot of people. I'm a programmer and very competent using a computer but even I struggle dealing with opening it up and messing with the guts of it. There's a lot of computer literacy skills involved, such as knowing what parts are compatible and how to put them together. There's lots of risk involved because you need to get the parts - some very expensive - to even experiment. It should go without saying that gaming PCs cost way more than consoles. There's also heaps of people that don't even know you can build one rather than just buying from the shop. 

Compare this to a console. Plug it in. Put in the game. Play the game. Maybe an extra step to make an account on the platform. Maybe some updates for the game. But generally speaking there's less you need to do and less that can go wrong.

And looking past accessibility, some people straight up prefer to chill on the couch with friends and a controller than hunch over a PC in a lonely room.

Since when was PC less popular? I get the feeling it's never been more popular than now.

But if it was less popular I would assume it's because of convenience and habits. A lot of people prefer gaming on the couch which can be difficult with a desktop PC.

I don't think PC is any less popular than before. Most people I know game through PC and there are still a handful of video game journalist websites that won't actually take you on unless you game on PC. 

That said, I'm a console player as I just prefer to slump on my couch/lie in my bed and game. You could argue that I can just do that with a laptop, but gaming laptops don't really compare to a high-end PC now do they?

In my experience it's largely a habit question. People sometimes prefer a controller to a keyboard and mouse, or they prefer a couch compared to a gaming chair. In my opinion consoles and PC's are pretty much becoming more and more indistinguishable nowadays anyways so the whole question of consoles vs PC is becoming more and more ridiculous to even ask.

I think there's a huge social aspect as to why console gaming is more popular. When's the last time you saw a group of friends get together and play computer games? No, everyone grabs a controller and lounges on the couch. Gaming computers are also too expensive for many ordinary people. Why spend $600 on a good build when I can just get a console for much cheaper? Nonetheless, computer gaming does have several perks and is just as equally entertaining to me as playing on Xbox or PS4! 

On 7/21/2018 at 6:06 AM, 9Online said:

I think there's a huge social aspect as to why console gaming is more popular. When's the last time you saw a group of friends get together and play computer games? No, everyone grabs a controller and lounges on the couch. Gaming computers are also too expensive for many ordinary people. Why spend $600 on a good build when I can just get a console for much cheaper? Nonetheless, computer gaming does have several perks and is just as equally entertaining to me as playing on Xbox or PS4! 

I dunno, back when I was in high school it seemed like we had LAN parties all the time. And that was when PC gaming was in the decline.

3 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I dunno, back when I was in high school it seemed like we had LAN parties all the time. And that was when PC gaming was in the decline.

Lol I don't think I've ever had a LAN party. Before I was a teen playing on consoles I remember playing Pokemon on Gameboy all the time with friends! 

PC gaming can be fun on a high end PC which will cost a bit. I built my own (not that high end) and do play some games on it but still prefer using a controller. To many times where I have to go into settings and adjust things which can be frustrating some times. If you just want to relax without all that a console is the better option I think. I also like having the option of reselling the hard copy of a game I can't get into or just don't like. 

3 hours ago, Elizabeth S. said:

PC gaming can be fun on a high end PC which will cost a bit.

It's not necessary to spend a lot of money on a gaming PC. You can build one which can play all the games currently on high settings for just $500-$600 USD.

5 minutes ago, Keranov said:

It's not necessary to spend a lot of money on a gaming PC. You can build one which can play all the games currently on high settings for just $500-$600 USD.

I would love to see the setup for that. I do admit I could have saved a bit getting a not so nice case. Can you show me which parts you would (are using) use for one can play all games on high settings? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth S. said:

I would love to see the setup for that. I do admit I could have saved a bit getting a not so nice case. Can you show me which parts you would (are using) use for one can play all games on high settings? 

Haven't been doing builds for months but here is something quick which I made. It's a mid-range and can go below $600 if you get 1050TI instead of RX580 and R5 1400 instead of R5 1600.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.69 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 4GB GTS XXX Edition Video Card  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $653.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-25 18:55 EDT-0400