Register Now
MeowsePad

Why is PC less popular?

Years ago it was a known topic and people saying that it's true, now however it's the opposite. Yes, it's a sane now that having RGB makes it more performance 😛 why they say that. I like it though even that it's not true. 

PC can cost far more but the performance is way better

4 hours ago, Xolta said:

Up until recently the pc was just more pain in the neck comapred to consoles.

True but then not everyone thinks that. PC now are more advanced then they were back ten years ago. I mean water cooling is gone to extreme where it takes two days to put and build it together.

Try and build this

200450.1f00f67732697d4b277a8d6dac2c658a.

It's just time, expect to take time, I mean with any watercooling system you need to flow it though. Draining takes longer if you need to redo it again, the bigger it is and more pipes the longer it will drain. 

It#s fun though! 

I can only provide anecdotal experiences, but the reason why it took me so long to get into PC was my late 90s experiences. My family's first PC wasn't built for gaming, and it was hard to know if it was or not because knowing a computer's specifications then was a lot harder than it is today. Stores like PC World didn't provide much information on computer specs, and you couldn't look these things up on the internet as easily as you can now because it wasn't as readily available, fast or as extensive as it is today. Peripherals were a lawless free-for-all, where Madcatz had clawed their way to the top as being the best brand that was compatible with most machines. Controllers and joysticks weren't like the Xbox One and Dual Shock controllers that get detected, installed and are usable in most games right away. This goes for games too - if something went wrong, there was little in the way of troubleshooting. If beefy manuals and hotlines didn't help you'd have to get a refund because you weren't going to find this stuff out yourself without knowing someone else who does, or taking classes to learn how. You can forget DirectX and patches, as games infrastructure was mostly local; LAN parties were your multiplayer games, dialling up a BBS was your patching, and God help you if you lost your cardboard copy-protection discs.

My apologies for the wall of text, I like waxing nostalgic on this subject even if it does drudge up a lot of bad things about the era. Virtually all of the problems I describe above are long gone, quickly remedied come the advent of Steam and streamlining. With all of that said, none of these problems existed on consoles at the time, making them a much more attractive choice while PC spent over a decade catching up in terms of being more attractive for gaming. Consoles had their own problems such as short but difficult games, maintenance of physical media (blowing on the discs, scratching) and the used market, but they didn't compare to the inability to play certain games on PC.

This is my answer to why PC was unpopular rather than currently is. PC gaming is measurably easier to get into today when willpower is taken out of the equation, which varies from person to person, and consoles have a - if only slightly - greater number of steps one must take from booting up the system for the first time and playing a game (firmware updates, account management, home screens). Both are guilty of adding to and subtracting from the "Plug in and play" ideal, and have their own pros and cons when it comes to which is better for which user. ^^

On 2/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, Empire said:

It's just time, expect to take time, I mean with any watercooling system you need to flow it though. Draining takes longer if you need to redo it again, the bigger it is and more pipes the longer it will drain. 

It#s fun though! 

But it looks cool. I wonder if some of the folks have tried the scifi movie like servers which are kind of good casing and fancy. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, Empire said:

True but then not everyone thinks that. PC now are more advanced then they were back ten years ago. I mean water cooling is gone to extreme where it takes two days to put and build it together.

Try and build this

200450.1f00f67732697d4b277a8d6dac2c658a.

Interesting fact, I HAVE hard piped a liquid cooling system on a PC.

16 hours ago, skyfire said:

But it looks cool. I wonder if some of the folks have tried the scifi movie like servers which are kind of good casing and fancy. 

Yeah, I have seen cases like that 🙂 If you are a fan of anything then people will do it. I seen many made there own style case 😛 

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

Interesting fact, I HAVE hard piped a liquid cooling system on a PC.

And it's true. Yet that be hard to do, wouldn't it? 

On 2/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, Empire said:

Yeah, I have seen cases like that 🙂 If you are a fan of anything then people will do it. I seen many made there own style case 😛 

And it's true. Yet that be hard to do, wouldn't it? 

Actually, it was hard. Many of the hard-piped designs you see online work by using electrical extentions to connect the GPU, reservoirs/pumps, CPU cooler and other components together in such a way that the tubing can be connected to them using pre-formed and/or simple shapes. In other words, setting the position of of the components to match the pipework, rather than the other way round. I had to do it the hard way, by templating and hand bending each tube to fit the position of the components. Here is the result, as please some respect in future if it's not too much trouble.

Edited by Shagger

12 hours ago, Shagger said:

Actually, it was hard. Many of the hard-piped designs you see online work by using electrical extentions to connect the GPU, reservoirs/pumps, CPU cooler and other components together in such a way that the tubing can be connected to them using pre-formed and/or simple shapes. In other words, setting the position of of the components to match the pipework, rather than the other way round. I had to do it the hard way, by templating and hand bending each tube to fit the position of the components. Here is the result, as please some respect in future if it's not too much trouble.

I used to have a PC like this...