Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best Combat Experience?

Pretty broad question here. Which video games have the best combat experience? What makes you enjoy them? What do you look for in combat? Customization? Tactical game play? Intuitive controls?

For my part, The Last of Us leads the pack. Usually I’m more of a run ‘n gun type rather than a stealth player, and I liked that it pulled me out of my comfort zone and forced me to become patient and strategic. I always felt like every challenge I was facing came down largely to tactics and depended only a little on luck. In a lot of other games, I feel like that situation is reversed, and whether I’m successful hinges mostly on my luck (either because there is only a minor tactical element, or the tactics are simply beyond my capabilities to master).

I agree with Katri that The Witcher 3 really tops my list.  Best RPG combat I have ever seen, the freedom to be more aggressive or tactical as you see fit, plus you get a wide variety of monsters to hunt and fight.  Best combat I have experienced in a game. 

I love Horizon Zero Dawn's combat. Even thought its mostly only bow combat, there were plenty of different bows and ranged weapons to choose from and they all seemed to serve a specific purpose in fights. I also thought the combat was really satisfying and not clunky in the slightest. Its genius how Guerrilla designed the machines so that each component has a specific purpose and by knocking off bits of armor and weaponry you could disable that attack. It added a whole new level of strategy to the game and I was never board fighting every machine I saw

Best combat, huh? I'd probably opt for the Soulsborne series. I love how fluid and rewarding it is.

Also, not sure if this counts, but Call Of Duty's shooting mechanics are tight af. Oh, and Octopath Traveler and Darkest Dungeon's combat is my favourite in the turn-based realm.

I agree with above posts on Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I think HZD beats Witcher 3 though. But last night I had a great gaming session in Witcher 3 with the combat. There are a lot of games with great combat. God of War especially. And I've had an amazing time with the Assassin's Creed games. The thing with AC though is having the option to be stealthy or all out mayhem. Even mixing up the play style is fun. Nothing like hammering in a skull, slicing a limb off, hop over a wall, hide in bushes, stick a blade right through the back of a neck and watch the head loll back and let gravity drop the standing body like a doll. Then poison tip the arrows and send a rain of love. I like military games with lots of explosives and an action scene as you run through a battlefield and bombs going off everywhere, bullets wizzing by, smoke and dirt splashing in face; stumble and fall. Get back up and knocked to the ground again with fire all around and planes zipping overhead battling in the sky and dropping bombs; chopper crash almost hits you, then a trooper explodes right in front of you with blood and bones sticking into your wrinkled and grimy gear. A head tumbles nearby and you think you are almost safe and you run out of ammo. You throw your gun and pick up another to shoot off a few rounds and run out of ammo again. You fall to a knee as troops charge at you. Then it is hand to hand and knife to flesh, trying to dig deep enough to penetrate clothing. All you can see now is white eyes in all the smoke. You stab away, and no matter how exhausted, you stab and stab and stab. You pick up a rifle and start bashing. Then it's a wrestling match and you gouge out the eyes while you wrestle on the ground. You can't breathe anymore cause the smoke. You get up and run some more. Run some more. Then you find yourself all alone and wonder who won. But you don't care as you are in a panic mode and nothing makes sense anymore. You rock on you bottom holding your knees and just hope that the bombs don't land on you. You can't see anything anymore. you can't hear anything anymore. It's every man for himself. What happened? What once was war, is now raw, raw, raw survival. Even the enemy sees you and doesn't even care as they are trying to survive too. You almost want to help each other now. Humanity takes over in this dark moment. But it was just a moment. Cause you sat too long and took a bullet to the back of the head and executed by a missing arm and jawless man.