Register Now
Sign in to follow this  
StaceyPowers

Best Combat Experience?

Pretty broad question here. Which video games have the best combat experience? What makes you enjoy them? What do you look for in combat? Customization? Tactical game play? Intuitive controls?

For my part, The Last of Us leads the pack. Usually I’m more of a run ‘n gun type rather than a stealth player, and I liked that it pulled me out of my comfort zone and forced me to become patient and strategic. I always felt like every challenge I was facing came down largely to tactics and depended only a little on luck. In a lot of other games, I feel like that situation is reversed, and whether I’m successful hinges mostly on my luck (either because there is only a minor tactical element, or the tactics are simply beyond my capabilities to master).

I'm the complete opposite. I dont have the patience to sit and wait. I prefer running and shooting. Theres more excitement in it that way. 

I think that Counter Strike: Global Offensive and the Call of Duty series can give a very good combat experience. CS:GO is more of a competitive type of game but still it's a good one.

For me it's The Witcher 3. One reason to drop games in my opinion is clunky combat and this game swept me off my feet with its flawless mechanics. Back then, I remember waiting patiently till Sunday to just make a coffee and play until the afternoon. Man I loved this game 😄

I agree with Katri that The Witcher 3 really tops my list.  Best RPG combat I have ever seen, the freedom to be more aggressive or tactical as you see fit, plus you get a wide variety of monsters to hunt and fight.  Best combat I have experienced in a game. 

I love Horizon Zero Dawn's combat. Even thought its mostly only bow combat, there were plenty of different bows and ranged weapons to choose from and they all seemed to serve a specific purpose in fights. I also thought the combat was really satisfying and not clunky in the slightest. Its genius how Guerrilla designed the machines so that each component has a specific purpose and by knocking off bits of armor and weaponry you could disable that attack. It added a whole new level of strategy to the game and I was never board fighting every machine I saw

Best combat, huh? I'd probably opt for the Soulsborne series. I love how fluid and rewarding it is.

Also, not sure if this counts, but Call Of Duty's shooting mechanics are tight af. Oh, and Octopath Traveler and Darkest Dungeon's combat is my favourite in the turn-based realm.