Register Now
DylanC

What's everyone's favourite horror games?

I would say Alien Isolation is my favourite horror game at the moment. Perfectly captures the suspense and tension from the movie which is impressive for a game.

Resident Evil is definitely on top of my list, especially the classic ones from the PS1 era. I'm also a fan of Dino Crisis which were similar to Resident Evil except featured dinosaurs in place of zombies. I'm not really into a lot of horror games since most of them don't really scare me and rely too much on jump scares to really get creepy enough for me. Amnesia: The Dark Descent I absolutely hated due to how much it made me feel like I was just controlling someone who got scared rather than me being scared. I also tried and hated Slenderman: The Eight Pages since the darkness just covered up really bad graphics and the gameplay wasn't engaging enough to make it a good game.

Also had a lot of fun with the F.E.A.R. series, even though they weren't really ever that scary. And Doom 3 I enjoyed for its atmosphere.

Alien: Isolation is a brilliant game! Every frame oozes with atmosphere and I really feel the dev team tried super hard to capture the authenticity of the first Alien film. Great choice! Resident Evil 1 and 2 are classic horror games without a doubt. Not played Dino Crisis, but it's supposed to be pretty good (some of the same dev of RE I think). Amnesia: The Dark Descent pretty much started the whole "walk around somewhere really scary and don't give the player any means to defend themselves" philosophy that was later popularised by Slender: The Eight Pages which was kind of a viral sensation. Personally, I love both those titles. 

Doom 3 is great but I could never get into the F.E.A.R series even though I tried a few times. Thanks for commenting! 

19 hours ago, Keranov said:

The only horror game which I play is Dead by Daylight. It's mostly horror survival but it still has horror elements. I also have the Amnesia games and I might try them in the future.

I've only played Dead By Daylight briefly but I really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and creepy stuff. Amnesia was great when I played it a few years ago. Hopefully, it still holds up now!

Alien Isolation because the game does a good job of scaring the literal crap out of you - the music, the atmosphere, I can't remember ever playing a horror game and hyperventilating. As a matter of fact, I jumped off my bed once while playing this game because the curtain brushed my arm lol.

I think that many users will agree with me; Resident Evil, F.E.A.R, Outlast I & II, Layers of Fear and last but certainly not least Silent Hill. I mean, I cannot really describe what makes them special apart from the fact that they scared the crap out of me (Most of the time at least).

1 hour ago, iaminsensible said:

I think that many users will agree with me; Resident Evil, F.E.A.R, Outlast I & II, Layers of Fear and last but certainly not least Silent Hill. I mean, I cannot really describe what makes them special apart from the fact that they scared the crap out of me (Most of the time at least).

You should give Alien - Isolation a go. Believe me, after an hour you will never attempt to play it at nights again lol.