Register Now
Aimee Hart

Nintendo Online Service

That's the big question, isn't it? I always expected there to be a Nintendo Online service, but I'm not sure the good outweighs the bad. The fact that Nintendo will literally delete your cloud saves if you don't continue to subscribe seems really iffy to me. But then again, I'm not a fan of anything to do with the cloud as I prefer having things physically. 

But what do you guys think? 

I'm a bit mixed on it. On one hand, I really the dig the cheaper price point, the inclusion of cloud saves and the inclusion of a bunch of SNES/NES classic games. And then on the other, I hate the idea that Nintendo will delete ya cloud saves if you don't continue subscribing and you'll lose all those classic NES/SNES games. I really would've preferred to just buy the classic retro games for cheap than to have them used as a sort've "ransom" to make you pay for their online service.

Still, it's very cheap - particularly compared to the other competitors - which irons out some of my disgruntlement. Wanna try it for a while before passing my final judgment tbh.

Edited by DylanC

Nintendo offers what Steam does for free at a 35 dollar price tag. Not only that but it's also awful and SSBU uses a P2P connection anyways so they literally didn't even bother to improve the online experience.

I feel cheated, I feel scammed, this service is awful.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:31 PM, Aimee Hart said:

That's the big question, isn't it? I always expected there to be a Nintendo Online service, but I'm not sure the good outweighs the bad. The fact that Nintendo will literally delete your cloud saves if you don't continue to subscribe seems really iffy to me. But then again, I'm not a fan of anything to do with the cloud as I prefer having things physically. 

But what do you guys think? 

They did tell us that we have a grace period after our Switch Online subscription ends. I think it's 6-12 months but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mind that timeframe and there's no point in having data backed up on their servers if we'll never renew online again. 

Anyway, I've seen good and bad comments about the service since Nintendo launched it. 

I'm not sure why people complain because they made it clear to everyone before they purchased a Switch.. that our "online experience" was more of a free trial that got delayed (hence why we even had it for so long). With the delay in mind, I didn't mind because more online multiplayer games were available. 

On 1/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, Darth Maul said:

They did tell us that we have a grace period after our Switch Online subscription ends. I think it's 6-12 months but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mind that timeframe and there's no point in having data backed up on their servers if we'll never renew online again. 

Anyway, I've seen good and bad comments about the service since Nintendo launched it. 

I'm not sure why people complain because they made it clear to everyone before they purchased a Switch.. that our "online experience" was more of a free trial that got delayed (hence why we even had it for so long). With the delay in mind, I didn't mind because more online multiplayer games were available. 

Okay so

1. It's 12 months and they give you a 2-week grace period
  2. The data you put in the Online service will be deleted if you don't renew your subscription
  3. They complain because the service is awful, not because it wasn't announced.
  4. It's an awful online service.