Register Now
StaceyPowers

How often do you save?

Sometimes I read forum posts where someone complains that they ran into a glitch in a video game, and lost eight hours of progress. 

With a lot of games, I have a hard time seeing how this still happens. In Skyrim for example, you can save whenever you want, even in the middle of combat. I usually save multiple times an hour (routinely making new save points), and then just go through and delete old saves now and again. If something goes wrong, I lose very little progress. Of course, this is a lesson I learned the hard way once as well.

To some extent, I am probably a compulsive saver, and it got me curious how often you all save when playing a game that lets you choose? Does anyone else save as often as I do?

I'm also curious if anyone actually prefers games that force you to only save during certain checkpoints. I have to admit that this can add something to the tension factor, and the feeling of accomplishment when you get through a hard fight is more intense. On the other hand, not being able to save when I want can be stressful. Needless to say, I didn't get very far with Demon's Souls, lol. Having to go back to the start of a level over and over just wasn't for me. Yet that series is immensely popular. Is the fact that you are forced to start over repeatedly actually part of the appeal?

It tends to depend on the game tbh. I actually save really often in games like Fallout or Skyrim because I can't bear re-doing a stretch of games after being killed or hitting a bug. Ideally, games should autosave often. That said, games like the Souls series don't need frequent saving. A big part of the risk/reward element of the game relies on the constant threat of losing a ton of progress. But, yeah, that risk/reward feeling isn't for everybody!

Edited by DylanC

On 9/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, DylanC said:

It tends to depend on the game tbh. I actually save really often in games like Fallout or Skyrim because I can't bear re-doing a stretch of games after being killed or hitting a bug. Ideally, games should autosave often. That said, games like the Souls series don't need frequent saving. A big part of the risk/reward element of the game relies on the constant threat of losing a ton of progress. But, yeah, that risk/reward feeling isn't for everybody!

I'm echoing Dylan on this one really. It really does depend on the game for me. Certain games I just rely on the autosave - although I messed that up recently on Crash Bandicoot, lost a good few levels cause I hit the wrong buttons...

For longer games though, such as your Fallout's, GTA's, Skyrims I certainly save any time I do anything of note or that would really annoy me if I had to do it again. It's makes me have a lot of saves generally but at least I  know I can just go back if I really really want to. Especially when I need to play through those alternate endings! Far Cry 5 was a pain for that after I played it through all over again to get a different ending lol. 

It depends and varys from game to game I play. As often as I can, in games like Skyrim because Skyrim tends to freeze, crash or experience bugs when I play it on console. Especially, as power cuts are very frequent in the area I live in due to Winter approaching fast. I'll lose complete interest in a video game if I have to start all over again or a chapter again. It's to me before and it gets really boring, really quickly as your repeating what you have already done. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

On 9/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, DylanC said:

I agree. I save like every 5 seconds - I'm not up for a long trek back to my current point.